I have been looking into the Alert-1
mobile system for mom. It's benefits (in her situation) over the others mentioned in this thread:
- Two month standby charge - Less taking it off and having to remember putting it back on.
- Lightweight - Hoping she will wear it.
- Waterproof - Really hoping she will wear it when showering/bathing.
I need a cell/GPS system since mom is not home bound. She did suffer a serious fall earlier this year about 1/2 mile from her house on a walk.
There are a couple of reasons that I have not pulled the trigger on this purchase yet:
- I am really not sure mom would wear it.
- No automatic fall detection on this mobile unit.
- I keep looking for a company with a good product that does not feel sleazy.
Sleazy to me: All the call now for special discounts; offer expiring today; etc. Also, various reports of equipment not actually working as advertised, especially fall detection.
The July 2014 issue of Consumer Reports on Health
had a comparison of some available options at that time; the list has been updated and is online; not all providers were listed: Medical Alert Systems Comparison - Consumer Reports
also has a list of these services; but, I do not know anything about this site. For all I know, it may be basing rankings on dollars paid to them. But, it does at least have a reasonable list of these kinds of services.
Yes, I am having analysis paralysis trying to make the best choice for my mother.