Join Early Retirement Today
Medical Alert Systerms
Old 08-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Medical Alert Systerms

DH and I are researching these devices for 93 year old MIL as she goes in for foot surgery in the fall. As she is still mobile, albeit limited, we are looking at coverage away from home as well as fall detection.

We're currently looking at Phillips Lifeline, Bay Alarm and GreatCall Splash (suggested by MIL because she saw the ad in AARP).

Can anyone recommend one of these or others?

Tailgate, you had an old post up that I couldn't reply to. I think I'll add them to my list:

"Anyone using Walgreen's Ready Response?
DM is 84 and needs the peace of mind that a medical alert pendant might provide. Door to door scam salesman pitched her monitoring service from a company that has many BB complaints against it. At least she asked me what I thought before she signed anything and I was able to research it.

I'm leaning towards a Walgreens product/service that I saw mentioned here when searching threads about these products. Here's the website. I like the mobile product because it is:
1. 2 way communication
2. not reliant on landline or cellphone (uses AT&T towers)
3. goes virtually anywhere
4. is essentially a panic button
5. detects 'falls'

$40 a month, but I'm not looking for cheapest solution.

She's worried about home intrusion too and I think a motion sensor alarm would work for her vs. a monitored system.

Anyone have experience with the Walgreens product? Or other ideas?"

TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 10:35 PM   #2
We're using the Phillips LifeLine for FIL and MIL. The devices are very easy to manage and use, and the call center staff has been very good so far.

MIL is using the pendant that works through the ATT cellphone network when it is out of range of the home unit. The device acts as a single-button hotline to the call center, and also detects 'falls' (sudden movement or jarring, really) to automatically call. It also provides GPS position to the call center. She finds it reassuring.

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.
My FIL used Medical Guardian for a short period. We got him the mobile version as it was one unit compared to others that required you wear a second item to include fall detection. It also had GPS and was usable anywhere you could get cell phone reception.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
akck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alert-1 - Not Recommendation; Adding to List
Old 08-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Alert-1 - Not Recommendation; Adding to List

I have been looking into the Alert-1 mobile system for mom. It's benefits (in her situation) over the others mentioned in this thread:
  • Two month standby charge - Less taking it off and having to remember putting it back on.
  • Lightweight - Hoping she will wear it.
  • Waterproof - Really hoping she will wear it when showering/bathing.

I need a cell/GPS system since mom is not home bound. She did suffer a serious fall earlier this year about 1/2 mile from her house on a walk.

There are a couple of reasons that I have not pulled the trigger on this purchase yet:
  • I am really not sure mom would wear it.
  • No automatic fall detection on this mobile unit.
  • I keep looking for a company with a good product that does not feel sleazy.

Sleazy to me: All the call now for special discounts; offer expiring today; etc. Also, various reports of equipment not actually working as advertised, especially fall detection.

The July 2014 issue of Consumer Reports on Health had a comparison of some available options at that time; the list has been updated and is online; not all providers were listed: Medical Alert Systems Comparison - Consumer Reports also has a list of these services; but, I do not know anything about this site. For all I know, it may be basing rankings on dollars paid to them. But, it does at least have a reasonable list of these kinds of services.

Yes, I am having analysis paralysis trying to make the best choice for my mother.
If there's one thing in my life that's missing; It's the time I spend alone
Sailing on the cool and bright clear waters; There's lots of those friendly people
Showin me ways to go; And I never want to lose your inspiration
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My Dad uses great call. We have been very happy with it and I like that I can track his where abouts via GPS. It's $15 a month and well worth the price in my opinion.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
Retired in 2014 @ The Ripe Age of 40.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:16 AM   #6
We use Bay for MIL who lives in a condo 5 miles form us. It works well. Had to do some intimidation to get her to wear the pendant all of the time, but now she does.

Was impressed that they call occasionally to do a "wellness" check. That may have been in the contract DW signed up for but it is a nice feature.

The Constitution. It's not just a good's the law.
Jack_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote