Medical professionals

Just catching up on this thread and wow, you have just had 1 thing after another. That destroyed car looks like my country house in PA in 2008 when a 120+ year old tree fell on it. Thank God for insurance. They paid for about $50,000 worth of damage.

As for sepsis, which I unfortunately experienced while in my medical residency in 1984(?), please take time to fully recover. It takes a while to get back to full strength.

I am not yet fully retired, w*rking 1-1.5 days a week since April, and am 10 years older than you, but I am still exhausted from years of burning the candle at both ends in medicine. My employer asked me to return to a grueling 12-13 hour day 3 days a week and I adamantly declined. Just cannot do it any more. As it is I still w*rk 12 hours the 1 day a week & even that is too much.

If things go very far south, there's always locums w*rk but who wants to do that? Not I! And I don't suggest you do it either.

I like the idea of 'sinking funds' for home repairs and known obsolescence, plus a buffer for the unexpected things that life likes to give us.

Get well. I hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

What a string of bad luck!

But look on the positive side. You have recovered from the sepsis. Three years ago, my son came down with a rare liver infection that was misdiagnosed initially and it could have cost his life. Then, I had an illness that could have resulted in my pushing daisy instead of surfing the forum now. As long as I have my health, the financial setbacks do not scare me anymore.

EastWest Gal- You are correct. I have yet to receive any bills, but I was told by our insurance that since my admission was legit, and emergent, all will be covered as in network.

Lac1003- you are not kidding, I can't believe how fast I got better from the pneumonia and yet can't kick myself back into the shape I was in just a few weeks ago. And I was in pretty darn good shape (resting pulse around 50). The energy drains out so fast now. But NWBound, I do feel lucky. For surviving my little health scare, that no one was harmed by that tree, and that we won't go broke even having just survived a basement flood last night! Yes - more unusual money sucking events keep happening! -All the tree debris followed by hail and on the heels of a foot of rain the last few weeks and everyone in my neighborhood was bailing out their basements last night. And we needed an emergency drain opening...
And I still feel lucky because we are all unharmed and we have the funds to deal with this--um, er these....

Never going back to medicine, not locum, not part time.
I am looking forward to downsizing and lower maintenance risks. Just have to get the house to stop falling apart long enough to sell it.
And I Know I am not the on,y one dealing with stuff...
Today--Our neighbor was supposed to have photos of his house taken for putting house on the market--but the storm last night destroyed all the landscaping and ruined everything. Photos will have to wait.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

... a basement flood last night! Yes - more unusual money sucking events keep happening!
Man, more house trouble! I don't know what to say.

Never going back to medicine, not locum, not part time...
I saw that you [-]are[/-] were an oncologist. And being a layman, I thought oncology is not as bad a specialization as some others such as surgery, but what do I know about the medicine profession.

OK, maybe allergists have it best. I used to go to an allergy clinic to get my weekly shot, and thought that the old doc owning that clinic had it made. The job was stress-free, and he could practice until his 80s if he wished.

Last edited:
Oncology burnout is pretty common. My practice was skewed to particularly bad cancers, too. (pancreas, brain). I am so happy to not be marinating in that emotionally challenging world all the time. It takes a toll, if you care. And if you don't care, you probably shouldn't be there, either.

...on the heels of a foot of rain the last few weeks and everyone in my neighborhood was bailing out their basements last night. And we needed an emergency drain opening...
And I still feel lucky because we are all unharmed and we have the funds to deal with this--um, er these....

Careful how one does that. There was an event of a woman and her daughter electrocuted with a sump pump trying to clear an outside stairwell following a heavy rain. Hate to see somebody make it to ER and then have that happen. Or before ER for that matter.

I saw another story about the investigators going back with an electrician to figure out what happened with it.

Police identify woman, daughter electrocuted in Chevy Chase - DC News FOX 5 DC WTTG

I have heard there are reasons docs go into dermatology and podiatry.

The first Rolls Royce I ever saw was driven by my teenage pimple doctor. Smart man - no emergency calls for him.

My neighbour likes to talk about his days saving lives as a homeopath. I consider him a quack. Would he be welcome in this thread?

My neighbour likes to talk about his days saving lives as a homeopath. I consider him a quack. Would he be welcome in this thread?

For those who believe in homeopathy, I have heard of a homeopathic remedy which will work to cure them from their gullibility. You keep taking this homeopathic concoction until you stop believing in it!

Back
Top Bottom