Join Early Retirement Today

Met Vladimir Stepania tonight in the Gym
Old 11-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Met Vladimir Stepania tonight in the Gym

I met former NBA center Vldimir Stepania tonight at the gym. I had just finished my sets on the plate loaded leg press machine, and started to load a deadlift bar. He asked me if I was done with the leg press; I said yes and then he asked me if I could take off some plates for him, as he was trying to rehab from knee injuries and couldn’t handle much weight. Then he watched me do my deadlifts, complimented me on my form and my strength, and gave me a few tips like always wear a belt and always look way up on the wall when doing any lift from the floor or from a squat. Then he introduced himself and said "I am a professional". I knew he couldn't be a professional weight lifter, and he looked like every Russian 7 foot center I had ever seen, so I guessed basketball. He said he had played for the Heat, the Sonics, the Nets and the Trailblazers, that he was called Tank because he was big and strong and banged around pretty good under the basket. He also said he never made it big, and had torn up his knees pretty badly over time. His legs were both heavily scarred.

Super nice guy! Things like this are one of the reasons I like gyms better than home workouts.

Also met a 20-something cutie in the stretching room who gave me some very helpful stretching tips, as I had a tight spot in one quad from running sprints on the track.

I can walk down there from my wife’s apartment, so even getting there and back is pleasant.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Met Vladimir Stepania tonight in the Gym
Old 11-25-2006, 07:58 AM   #2

I have no idea who he is because I am not a basketball fan, but interesting none the less. The Minnesota Timberwovles work out and play basketball at my club in the off season. - Fairly initimidating in the shower

I have been going to our club for 20 years and one of the more interesting people I've met was Gretchen Carlson, then Miss Minnesota worked out every evening one summer at our club before the Miss America Pageant. We watched the Pageant that fall and to our delight She won! We now see her on TV on various programs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretchen_Carlson
Old 11-25-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

The Minnesota Timberwovles work out and play basketball at my club in the off season. - Fairly initimidating in the shower

I have been going to our club for 20 years and one of the more interesting people I've met was Gretchen Carlson...

Just a guess, but I suspect she would also be "Fairly initimidating in the shower".

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Just a guess, but I suspect she would also be "Fairly initimidating in the shower".
No coed Showers.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
As usual, additional research appears necessary.

What DO we do all day?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:01 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I have no idea who he is because I am not a basketball fan, but interesting none the less. The Minnesota Timberwovles work out and play basketball at my club in the off season. - Fairly initimidating in the shower

I have been going to our club for 20 years and one of the more interesting people I've met was Gretchen Carlson, then Miss Minnesota worked out every evening one summer at our club before the Miss America Pageant. We watched the Pageant that fall and to our delight She won! We now see her on TV on various programs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gretchen_Carlson
thats my step sons favorite team. hes a timber groupie. if you get any autographs he'd love it.