Michael Vick wants to own a dog again

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'd like to think he's on the level, but am just not sure. What do you think?

"I would love to get another dog in the future," Vick told TheGrio, a website that's affiliated with NBC and focuses on African-American issues. "I think it would be a big step for me in the rehabilitation process. I think just to have a pet in my household and to show people that I genuinely care, and my love, and my passion for animals."

Vick served 18 months in prison after being convicted in 2007 in the Virginia-based ring. The federal judge overseeing the case also prohibited him from ever owning another dog.

"Vick should be banned from owning dogs for life," Jane Dollinger, spokeswoman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, said in a news release this week. "Just as convicted pedophiles aren't allowed free access to children, anyone who is responsible for hanging, electrocuting, or shooting dogs and who causes them to suffer in other unimaginable ways should never again be allowed access to dogs."

Since his release from prison, Vick has become an advocate for the Humane Society of the United States and makes school appearances to talk to students about his past. Vick said he's doing that work because he wants to.

"Well first off, the court doesn't make it an obligation for me to go out and speak," Vick said. "It doesn't make it an obligation for me to work with the Humane Society. I'm putting in the hard work to do it so it's not for any personal benefit, it's to help others."
Vick says he hopes to own a dog as a pet someday - wtop.com

People in H*** want ice water, too.

I don't think he should ever own a dog again. He has demonstrated that the is not capable of the responsibility entailed (to put it mildly). If he loves dogs, he can always volunteer at the animal shelter to be around them.

There's nothing entirely incompatible with loving your own pet and seeing other animals as merely fodder for your own sick thrills or financial gain. It's possible, I think, to love your own dog but see other dogs as expendable. It's hard for me to imagine that someone who is enough of an animal lover to love and dote over their pets would be this callous about other similar animals they have no emotional attachment to, but I'd imagine it's possible.

Having said that, I don't ever want to see him anywhere near a dog.

There is still a huge problem with dog fighting operations. I see lots of pit bulls in the shelter. I was furious with him and glad he didn't get off scott free.

The reason I'd like to believe Vick is sincere is because he could have such a positive influence on turning this around. His school appearances may help teach youngsters how awful dog fighting is and the negative consequences of getting involved. I don't think a 50-something lady like me or they typical animal rescue types could reach many of the people who may get involved with this awful "sport". Vick could be much more influential.

The reason I'd like to believe Vick is sincere is because he could have such a positive influence on turning this around. His school appearances may help teach youngsters how awful dog fighting is and the negative consequences of getting involved. I don't think a 50-something lady like me or they typical animal rescue types could reach many of the people who may get involved with this awful "sport". Vick could be much more influential.
Like you, I'd *like* to believe it, and MAYBE with the passage of time and good works, I can be convinced of it -- but not yet.

If he continues to do what is perceived as good work for animal welfare AFTER his football career is over, I'll be more convinced of his sincerity. For now I'm cynical enough to assume he's doing it to keep his job in the NFL.

The downside in my opinion is this would also teach another, subtler and very harmful message. That unlike your Dad or older brother, a big time football player like Vick can do something like this, and not only resume his career unimpeded, but also become a public hero for young people to model themselves on.

Ha

Michael Vick should never be allowed to own any pet. I really don't think he needs to share a home with children either. Unfortunately, he does. Someone who has no problem inflicting pain and suffering on an animal will be most likely to do it also to the weaker humans they encounter. I feel sorry for his wife and kids. Abusing animals is sometimes the first step towards even larger crimes.

I still cringe everytime I hear his name. I purchased the book The Lost Dogs: Michael Vick's Dogs and Their Tale of Rescue and Redemption.

Never want to see that man with, or around a dog for as long as he crawls on this earth, no way, no how, not now, not ever. :nonono:

Attachments

• 41nMljgOQVL__SL500_AA300_.jpeg
    41nMljgOQVL__SL500_AA300_.jpeg
    15.1 KB · Views: 109
I think it's possible for someone to change. But, no way he should be allowed to own a dog anytime soon. Perhaps he should be allowed to work as a volunteer at some no kill animal rescue groups, monitored of course. Let him do some of the behind the scene dirty work like cleaning out kennels, bathing dogs, etc etc. Only after years of counseling and proving himself with a rescue group would I even think about letting him adopt a dog.

I hope he has learned his lesson. But I do admit, I think some of his talk about wanting to own a dog is just part of his p/r rehab.

He should be able to have a dog, lots of dogs, so that one day we can read about the tragic accident at the Vick house where they mysteriously turned on him....

Personally, I will never watch another Eagles game. I hope one of the opposing defenses ends his career for him in the most painful way possible.

The downside in my opinion is this would also teach another, subtler and very harmful message. That unlike your Dad or older brother, a big time football player like Vick can do something like this, and not only resume his career unimpeded, but also become a public hero for young people to model themselves on.

Ha

Perhaps a stronger message would have been sent if Vick had been banned from football for life. If this had been the case, and he still wanted to speak on behalf of the Humane Society, I would be more inclined to believe his sincerity. I don't know much about football, but realize it's all about the money. Seems like it was bad PR to let him resume his football career.

By the way, the shelter I volunteer at does not allow people convicted of animal cruetly to adopt an animal, work there or even serve as a volunteer. I'm sure some puppy mill operation would be happy to sell him a dog though.

I don't blame him his NFL career isn't going to last forever and I think he is smart to have a second career in mind. Perhaps he should partner up with a Vietnamese restaurant since they like dogs also.:whistle:

Sorry I think he should be treated like a sex offender around children. Sure maybe it is safe for him to have a dog but why take the chance. If he needs a pet, fish, a parrot, maybe even a rabbit.

I think Michael is really is trying to turn over a new leaf and make redemption for the past. The past is too fresh is everyone's mind. Yet, I think he shouldn't be allowed to own a dog again. That would be like having Ben Roslithberger as the next contestant on "The Bachelor".

He should be able to have a dog, lots of dogs, so that one day we can read about the tragic accident at the Vick house where they mysteriously turned on him....

I say we tie him down, cover his scrotum with bacon fat, then give him his "dog", preferably a rabid, hungry pit bull terrier...

My DGF, who owns two rescue dogs, would scratch his eyes out in a NY minute...

I think he's an ass and will do anything for a dollar.

+1

Perhaps a stronger message would have been sent if Vick had been banned from football for life. If this had been the case, and he still wanted to speak on behalf of the Humane Society, I would be more inclined to believe his sincerity. I don't know much about football, but realize it's all about the money. Seems like it was bad PR to let him resume his football career.
People understand that professional sports are full of wife beaters, rapists, and all sorts of other criminals. As long as they play well, this doesn't seem to bother enough fans to change anything.

Sports are a really good way for a young person to get a quick read on the corruption and hypocrisy of society at large. Why force them to wait for a middle age disillusionment?

Ha

I don't believe that being a dog killer/abuser equates to a child molester. The former can probably be reformed, but not the latter.

Let Vick have a dog. He'd probably appreciate it a lot more today than years ago.

"I think just to have a pet in my household and to show people that I genuinely care, and my love, and my passion for animals."

I found the perfect dog for him....:whistle:

Attachments

• every dog has it's day.jpg
    every dog has it's day.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
I say no dogs for him. Any dog of his wouldn't have a fighting chance to live a good life.

i think it's ok for him to have a pet when we allow child molesters to operate day care centers or rapists to run a dating service or well you get the point. this sob should be in prison today. NOT one seat in the philly stadium should be occupied during home games but most people don't give a $hit. i will route for any team against philly. i detest this man.

Update - Most will not like this

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Michael Vick is barred from owning a dog for a year and a half, but the star quarterback's comment that he'd like to bring one into his house generated renewed outrage _ and support.

The convicted dogfighting ring operator told the news site TheGrio.com that he genuinely cares about animals and would like to have one for a pet again.

"I think it would be a big step for me in the rehabilitation process," he said.

Vick has made similar statements before, but this time it seemed to have grabbed the world's attention. For example, the gambling website Bodog.com is offering bets on what breed of dog Vick might own in the next two years.

Vick served 18 months in prison after being convicted in 2007. A federal judge also sentenced him to three years probation, ending in May 2012. One of the terms: He could not own dogs during that time.

Since Vick was released from prison, he's become a touchstone for a deep debate: Can people who do bad things be redeemed?

"I really mean what I say. I don't have a problem. I'm not a psychopath. I'm not crazy. I'm a human being," Vick told The Associated Press on Thursday. "What happened in my past and what I did in the culture I grew up in doesn't shape and mold me as the person I am now. I said it before that I wish I can own a dog and I'll continue to say it. I'm not allowed to, but I'm just saying I wish I could because my kids ask me every day. It's more so for them than for me."

When he was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles last year, criticism seemed to outweigh cheers. But now that he's again a top NFL player and has spent time speaking with at-risk kids, he's gained a bigger following of fans.

Ray Morales, of Philadelphia, said that Vick has worked to turn his life around and deserves a second chance.

"They're just trying to scrutinize him way too much because of his popularity," he said. "It's hard for people to believe that someone can turn their life around, but they can."

Morales said in his home state of Florida, a friend stopped participating in dogfighting after hearing Vick talk about why it was wrong.

"He's been doing a lot to educate people about dogfighting," "He knows he's done something wrong, people just really need to get past it and stop casting stones."

Erik Brown, a 25-year-old student from Chicago, also defended Vick online.
"I'm sure he'd be one of the most-watched dog owners on the planet, so I highly doubt he could participate in the activities that landed him in this mess in the first place," he told the AP in an e-mail interview.

Vick's comments, however, brought out plenty of critics. Many took to Twitter to lambaste the quarterback with tweets like, "Michael Vick says he'd like to own a dog someday. I'd like to own a brewery too but it's probably not a good idea."

Jane Dollinger, spokeswoman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, said Vick should be banned from owning dogs for life.

Meanwhile, Humane Society of the United States President Wayne Pacelle said it's too early for Vick to have a dog, but says it could be appropriate after his probation ends.

"There may be some who would forever deny Michael Vick the opportunity to have a pet. I understand that sentiment. But there is a larger principle at stake here," he said in a statement. "We at The HSUS are about the business of change _ personal and societal change."

Since his release from prison, Vick has worked with the group and makes school appearances to talk to students about his past.

Vick told TheGrio.com he's doing that work because he wants to.
"The court doesn't make it an obligation for me to go out and speak," Vick said. "It doesn't make it an obligation for me to work with the Humane Society. I'm putting in the hard work to do it so it's not for any personal benefit, it's to help others."

Vick says he would like a pet dog, renewing debate - wtop.com

I question the Humane Society of the United States being so tolerance in this situation. In fact, I'm begining to question just about everything about this story. I would just like to see this situation evolve in a way that decreases the abuse of companion animals.

Back
Top Bottom