Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are doing this now . I get rid of things regularly so my part is not too bad . My SO keeps everything but is now starting to toss stuff . The garage is finally looking a little better . Our goal is to be ready to move next year to a smaller place .

Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Im surprised no one has mentioned the Marie Kondo Joy of Tidying Up approach. She has a very specific process that makes sense to me. Instead of going room by room, group like items together from all rooms.
I did think of that, but the stuff the OP has sounds like the "garage" section, which is the least fun part of the Kondo method IMO

This is all big bulky electronic and machinery sounding stuff.

Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:00 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I looked into this once a few years ago...Call an Estate Sale company. Being deceased is not a requirement.

I found several that basically advised " Touch nothing, throw away NOTHING. WE will handle it all." By "nothing" they meant, for example: " ...not even rubber bands, we will bundle them all together and put a price tag on them."

They come to your house, organize and tag everything, set prices (with your input), advertise, and coordinate the whole event. You don't even have to be present. ( Most requested that I not be there. ) They take between 20-30% of all proceeds. Whatever they do not sell is then advertised as a free garage sale and only then are the few unwanted scraps disposed of.

No Muss, No Fuss. Minimal effort and Maximum return. Better yet, minimal waste of perfectly good things that someone, somewhere, might really need and appreciate.

When I decide to pull the plug on this abode that's the way I am going.
EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #24

Not a factor for the OP since you must be of an age when photos were printed...but my recent decluttering victory came from buying a fast photo scanner; put 36 photos in the hopper and they're in the trash can in 30 seconds, saved locally and in the cloud. Boom! The ones in the albums were more time consuming, but pound for pound, still a win since the albums themselves were so bulky. And I can SEE the pictures better on the big TV too!

Probably 100 pounds of albums and photos dumped. Multiple shelves now comfortablly empty.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had two plans post retirement. The first was to sell our large home and down size. The second was to travel for at least six months. We did both.

We had years of clutter as well as a house full of furniture to get rid of. Our home was large, it had large furniture. We anticipated buying new, and smaller furniture for our new life.

What worked for us? We decided that we would only keep what would fit into an 8x8X16 storage container. We gave away things, had several truck loads sent to the dump, and donated lots to a woman’s shelter store.

The container was dropped on our driveway ten days prior to move out. We did it. Our mattress was the last item squeezed into the back of the container. Ten months or so later we had that container unloaded into or rental condo. A few years later we are still discarding things that went into that container but never been used since. We have become very much clutter free. It takes discipline....especially if one lives in a home with a basement.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Im surprised no one has mentioned the Marie Kondo Joy of Tidying Up approach. She has a very specific process that makes sense to me. Instead of going room by room, group like items together from all rooms. Clothes are often the easiest to start on. Get rid of things that are worn out, dont fit, are out of style, etc. Then organize so all like items are visible and together, instead of storing like items in different locations. Many more tips if you read the easy reading book.
We watched one of her shows on Netflix. Perhaps her method is useful to some, but I found the act of holding on to a single item, thanking it for its service and then placing in a pile to be a HUGH time suck. If folks really have THAT MUCH STUFF, they don't have time to "thank" 1,223,883 items.

While decluttering our own place (and my Dad's after he passed), I found just going room to room and assigning value to things to make it easier. Almost a triage if you will.

1- Must keep, no question
2- Like to have, but not necessary
3- Goodwill
4- Trash

We set a limit to the categories 1&2...in my Dad's house case, only what could fit into a single storage area of (pick your size) the rest was 3 or 4. For our house, the garage items were limited to a specific area and the rest was 3 or 4. Anyway, you get the point. When we finally got moved to our new place, it was very refreshing to have so little "stuff"...plus we saved a significant amount of money not having to move thousands of pounds of stuff 1,000+ miles.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:57 PM   #27

It's one of those inexplicable, irony-of-life situations that consumer items are rarely worth 10% of purchase price by the time you get them home. Word to the wise is (1) don't buy them next time. (2) Give what you have to charity. (3) Repeat 1 and 2. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Not a factor for the OP since you must be of an age when photos were printed...but my recent decluttering victory came from buying a fast photo scanner; put 36 photos in the hopper and they're in the trash can in 30 seconds, saved locally and in the cloud. Boom! The ones in the albums were more time consuming, but pound for pound, still a win since the albums themselves were so bulky. And I can SEE the pictures better on the big TV too!

Probably 100 pounds of albums and photos dumped. Multiple shelves now comfortablly empty.

What brand/model of scanner did you use? We need to do this. Thanks.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:02 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Im surprised no one has mentioned the Marie Kondo Joy of Tidying Up approach. She has a very specific process that makes sense to me. Instead of going room by room, group like items together from all rooms. Clothes are often the easiest to start on. Get rid of things that are worn out, dont fit, are out of style, etc. Then organize so all like items are visible and together, instead of storing like items in different locations. Many more tips if you read the easy reading book.

I wasn't a big fan of the book, but have been a follower on her TV show. We went through all of our clothes so far and gave away quite a bit. It feels good seeing big bags of stuff leave the house.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:28 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What brand/model of scanner did you use? We need to do this. Thanks.
+1 DW has been wanting for one too.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
It's one of those inexplicable, irony-of-life situations that consumer items are rarely worth 10% of purchase price by the time you get them home. Word to the wise is (1) don't buy them next time. (2) Give what you have to charity. (3) Repeat 1 and 2. YMMV
Imagine seeing something you can't decide whether or not to purge at a garage sale. Would you buy it? If not, get rid of it.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a local tech dump that we take all our out of date technology gadgets. If they are still working, you can claim the value for charitable giving. Otherwise things are erased to not have any account info on them, and recycled well by component.
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paracelsus View Post
We have a local tech dump that we take all our out of date technology gadgets. If they are still working, you can claim the value for charitable giving. Otherwise things are erased to not have any account info on them, and recycled well by component.
I E cycled a Kindle about 10 years ago. About a month or 2 later small charges started showing up on my Amazon account. A bit later 2 i phones.

I suspect that the recycle center was the culprit. But of course no proof. So now I damage the hard drives before E cycling
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post

Which photo scanner did you use/buy for that task? Would it also work on documents?

Sorry for the repeat request - just went straight to the posting area after reading your post :-) Seems like your information is much anticipated....
Old 08-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
Which photo scanner did you use/buy for that task? Would it also work on documents?

Sorry for the repeat request - just went straight to the posting area after reading your post :-) Seems like your information is much anticipated....
Yes! I almost asked as well

tb001 is online now   Reply With Quote