Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While I never had any problem hearing the lyrics to this one and when it first came out I was about 20 and thought that Rickie Lee Jones was the coolest kitty out there, there was one piece I never figured out. I was listening to random iPod stuff over football and this song came on and I once again said, "WHAT IS P.L.P. ?"

A web search came up with this answer:

Quote:
It stands for “public leaning post,” old American slang used when one friend leans on another.
(I think it can also mean "personal leaning post"...)

Rule Forty Two - » In the first line of “Chuck E.’s in Love,” Rickie Lee Jones sings, “How come he don’t come and P.L.P. with me down at the meter no more?” What does “P.L.P.” mean?

So I can finally rest easy (except that I wish Michael McDonald - one cool cat for sure - was singing backup).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #22

Hush, hush...you're so scary.

Amie Mann. "voices carry"

Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #23
gone traveling

One of the advantages to using Pandora is that you can see the lyrics of a song while you are listening to it.

I've been quite surprised of what a singer is actually "saying" and what I've been using to sing along to a song that I've been doing so for decades ...
Old 10-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
While I never had any problem hearing the lyrics to this one and when it first came out I was about 20 and thought that Rickie Lee Jones was the coolest kitty out there, there was one piece I never figured out. I was listening to random iPod stuff over football and this song came on and I once again said, "WHAT IS P.L.P. ?"

A web search came up with this answer:

(I think it can also mean "personal leaning post"...)

Rule Forty Two - » In the first line of “Chuck E.’s in Love,” Rickie Lee Jones sings, “How come he don’t come and P.L.P. with me down at the meter no more?” What does “P.L.P.” mean?

So I can finally rest easy (except that I wish Michael McDonald - one cool cat for sure - was singing backup).

Great song.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
One of the advantages to using Pandora is that you can see the lyrics of a song while you are listening to it.

I've been quite surprised of what a singer is actually "saying" and what I've been using to sing along to a song that I've been doing so for decades ...
Hey, give us some examples (we'll either get a laugh or feel better about how we've fractured lyrics on our own!)

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I guess coming from the Louie, Louie generation, we were wired to mishear lyrics.
...not to mention backtracking & backmasking.

Louie Louie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
In February, 1964, an outraged parent wrote to Robert Kennedy, then the Attorney General of the United States, alleging that the lyrics of "Louie Louie" were obscene. The Federal Bureau of Investigation investigated the complaint. In June 1965, the FBI laboratory obtained a copy of the Kingsmen recording and, after two years of investigation, concluded that the recording could not be interpreted, that it was "unintelligible at any speed,"[27] and therefore the Bureau could not find that the recording was obscene.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a funny. My nurse goes to recovery to see a patient and there's a young male transporter singing a Credence song (song is of course, way before this young man's time) and he preceeds to mame Bad Moon Rising by singing: Don't come around tonight, 'cause it's bound to take your life, there's a baboon on the right....
Old 01-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #28

Misheard Lyrics

I didn't want to post to the respectful recent Joe Cocker thread, but it made me smile and I hadn't seen it posted yet:

http://youtu.be/3xJWxPE8G2c

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:12 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I didn't want to post to the respectful recent Joe Cocker thread, but it made me smile and I hadn't seen it posted yet:

http://youtu.be/3xJWxPE8G2c
No disrespect at all. My sister-in-law sent that link to us and by the end we were almost throwing up from laughing so hard at the really funny images and "lyrics.". I like to think it made Joe Cocker smile too.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #30

Definitely funny. Tears in my eyes!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:53 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"The B string sounded louder..." - Cat Stevens

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #32

I can't think of any particular funny or fractured lyrics my mind might have substituted over the the years but, if you are not reading the text along with the music, almost anything by Springsteen or Tom Waits will have your mind scrambling for substitutes somewhere before the end.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #33
Administrator

I defy anyone to figure out what Eddie Vedder is singing in Yellow Ledbetter.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I can't think of any particular funny or fractured lyrics my mind might have substituted over the the years but, if you are not reading the text along with the music, almost anything by Springsteen or Tom Waits will have your mind scrambling for substitutes somewhere before the end.
Yes, one of Sprinsteen's was Blinded by the Light. Manfred Mann made into a hit, and changed a few lyrics.
The original line was "cut loose like a duece(reference to a duece coupe )" MM changed that to "revved up like a duece ". It was commonly misheard as "wrapped up like a douche". Many folks still hear it that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

The Beatles song "Paperback Writer" came out "Take the last ride sir" in my youth !

Also, the lyrics in a Elton John song, which were "someone saved my life tonight", became "someone shaved my wife tonight" !
Old 01-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Back in the early 70's there was a song called Moonlight Feels Right (by Starbuck?) that had the line ". . . feeling warm and right. . . ". Being in junior high we thought the line was ". . . feeling my woman right. . ." All of us nerdy, dorky girls were totally aghast!!!
Old 01-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

And there's the classic line from 'Friends' where Joey thinks Elton John is singing, "Hold me closer, Tony Danza"

Hands down favorite is "Blinded by the Light" If anyone can understand that, kudos

Misheard Lyric: “Wrapped up like a douche, another rumor in the night.”
Actual Lyric: “Revved up like a Deuce, another runner in the night.”
Old 01-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #38

I've been a Bee Gees fan through all of their genres. But I never could understand their falsetto lyrics. BTW, loved that Joe Cocker post.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I defy anyone to figure out what Eddie Vedder is singing in Yellow Ledbetter.
Potato Wave!

Old 01-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post

Hands down favorite is "Blinded by the Light" If anyone can understand that, kudos

Misheard Lyric: “Wrapped up like a douche, another rumor in the night.”
Actual Lyric: “Revved up like a Deuce, another runner in the night.”
you might like this, if you haven't seen it: