Misheard Lyrics

I guess coming from the Louie, Louie generation, we were wired to mishear lyrics.

...not to mention backtracking & backmasking.

Louie Louie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In February, 1964, an outraged parent wrote to Robert Kennedy, then the Attorney General of the United States, alleging that the lyrics of "Louie Louie" were obscene. The Federal Bureau of Investigation investigated the complaint. In June 1965, the FBI laboratory obtained a copy of the Kingsmen recording and, after two years of investigation, concluded that the recording could not be interpreted, that it was "unintelligible at any speed,"[27] and therefore the Bureau could not find that the recording was obscene.

Here's a funny. My nurse goes to recovery to see a patient and there's a young male transporter singing a Credence song (song is of course, way before this young man's time) and he preceeds to mame Bad Moon Rising by singing: Don't come around tonight, 'cause it's bound to take your life, there's a baboon on the right....

I didn't want to post to the respectful recent Joe Cocker thread, but it made me smile and I hadn't seen it posted yet:

http://youtu.be/3xJWxPE8G2c

No disrespect at all. My sister-in-law sent that link to us and by the end we were almost throwing up from laughing so hard at the really funny images and "lyrics.". I like to think it made Joe Cocker smile too.

"The B string sounded louder..." - Cat Stevens

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

I can't think of any particular funny or fractured lyrics my mind might have substituted over the the years but, if you are not reading the text along with the music, almost anything by Springsteen or Tom Waits will have your mind scrambling for substitutes somewhere before the end.

I defy anyone to figure out what Eddie Vedder is singing in Yellow Ledbetter.

Last edited:
I can't think of any particular funny or fractured lyrics my mind might have substituted over the the years but, if you are not reading the text along with the music, almost anything by Springsteen or Tom Waits will have your mind scrambling for substitutes somewhere before the end.

Yes, one of Sprinsteen's was Blinded by the Light. Manfred Mann made into a hit, and changed a few lyrics.
The original line was "cut loose like a duece(reference to a duece coupe )" MM changed that to "revved up like a duece ". It was commonly misheard as "wrapped up like a douche". Many folks still hear it that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

The Beatles song "Paperback Writer" came out "Take the last ride sir" in my youth !

Also, the lyrics in a Elton John song, which were "someone saved my life tonight", became "someone shaved my wife tonight" !

Back in the early 70's there was a song called Moonlight Feels Right (by Starbuck?) that had the line ". . . feeling warm and right. . . ". Being in junior high we thought the line was ". . . feeling my woman right. . ." All of us nerdy, dorky girls were totally aghast!!!

And there's the classic line from 'Friends' where Joey thinks Elton John is singing, "Hold me closer, Tony Danza"

Hands down favorite is "Blinded by the Light" If anyone can understand that, kudos

Misheard Lyric: “Wrapped up like a douche, another rumor in the night.”
Actual Lyric: “Revved up like a Deuce, another runner in the night.”

Last edited:
I've been a Bee Gees fan through all of their genres. But I never could understand their falsetto lyrics. BTW, loved that Joe Cocker post.

I defy anyone to figure out what Eddie Vedder is singing in Yellow Ledbetter.

Potato Wave!

potatowave.jpg

Hands down favorite is "Blinded by the Light" If anyone can understand that, kudos

you might like this, if you haven't seen it:

I can't make the link from my iPhone, but there is a YouTube video for the following:

O Fortuna misheard lyrics.

Just google it. It's hysterical with the animation. Don't watch while eating or drinking, it will be messy.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

How do I make a formal complaint about this thread:confused: I'm now obsessed with the multiple YouTube video mixes of misheard lyrics. I'll never get to sleep tonight......

Yea I read that somewhere.:banghead:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

(Let the)... girl with colitis go by....

I guess coming from the Louie, Louie generation, we were wired to mishear lyrics.

+1000

I won't ever TELL you what I thought the lyrics were. All my friends in high school heard the same thing in the lyrics that I did. When we finally got a copy of the official, real lyrics, we weren't one bit convinced.

Even now, I think our supposedly misunderstood, totally filthy version of the lyrics was correct. And no, I'm not saying! :D I'll bet that half of the copies of that record sold, were to people who were arguing over the lyrics.

Even the FBI had a hard time figuring out the lyrics:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ng-louie-louie-for-two-years-78752777/?no-ist

Last edited:
Well, all I know is, an awful lot of pop singers seem to be obsessed with going to the bathroom. It's a Potty/Let's Potty/Potty All Night Long/Potty with You....

Amethyst

Back
Top Bottom