Missing mail

I think it's the change in mail carrier, we used to have a good one, now this one is illiterate :(

We have suddenly had a decrease in mail, we normally get mail every single day, suddenly none 2 days ago, and 1 piece yesterday, meanwhile days ago I was emailed by sender they are sending me 5 pieces of mail.

I suspect the cold weather has made the mail person decide to skip some houses as its just so cold.

I suspect the cold weather has made the mail person decide to skip some houses as its just so cold.

I'd never thought of a postal carrier doing that. However in my career I've seen many places where employees threw away their work. All kinds of important stuff to those impacted.

My father spent his entire career climbing up the ladder at the postal service in another country. He had plenty of stories about what could go wrong. Managers could only address the problem (no pun intended) if they knew about it, so it’s important to make the postal service aware.

In my current condo building (which has its own postal code) we had to instal a “return to sender” box in the lobby because so much mail was misdirected. We contacted the local Canada Post depot. Turns out it was a new mail person who was clearly not doing his/her job properly. He/she was given additional training and reassigned. I don’t know if he/she us still working for a Canada Post. But our new mail lady is wonderful. She brings my Amazon packages right to my door.

I deliver other neighbor's mail frequently and they return the favor. Last April, we received a Christmas card dated 12/5/2016.

I could go on, but it depresses me. Oh, and I get to deliver some older woman's prescriptions every three months. She lives a mile away.

An ex-BF had a Commercial Drivers License and would often supplement his corporate income by driving for the Detroit main post office warehouse during the holidays (back in the 90's when people sent tons of Christmas cards and packages). He would regale me with interesting stories of life at the Post Office. The warehouse would move mail around in large fabric (with metal frames) wheeled carts. You may have seen them in the back ends of post offices -- (~4 ft. x 6 ft and 4 ft. high)...sometimes the mail would fall off these carts onto the ground at the warehouse docks as they were being loaded onto the semi-trucks for distribution. Ex-BF noticed that no one ever picked up this stray mail, so he'd periodically jump down, pick up the armfuls laying there and carry them to his manager's office...who seemed surprised at the 'special delivery'. When ex-BF wasn't working there, we could only surmise that that mail likely never got delivered to its intended destination.

I've since forgotten the other stories. It's a wonder any mail gets where it's supposed to go. :nonono:

omni

The newer employees are often paid a lot less without benefits so there's a lot more turnover and they are under a lot of pressure to deliver different routes each day.

I had NO IDEA!! Thank you for that information. That explains a lot. No wonder they aren't as good as the USPS employees that we all remember in the past. That's a terribly hard job and with no benefits, I can see why people might not work there very long.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
USPS service stinks! I've had my mail show up in some random kids locker at school, who fortunately gave it to my kid. Really. Boxes left open and mail blowing thru community. Place mail on vacation hold, and return to a mailbox full of mail. Complained to local management who essentially said "too bad". Now I use informed delivery, but as was pointed out, all that shows is what didn't make it to my box. Zero accountability by management.

More than half of my informed delivery has the photo below. :confused:
I guess that's for entertainment value.

---

Also, I filed temporary forwarding with USPS for ~6 months. In the first two months, my poor neighbor has already sent me 2 large envelopes of mail that ended up in my mailbox. She has spoken to the folks at the post office and I've called them twice. They assure all all is well. :nonono:

I'll go back to watching the (mis) informed delivery.:facepalm:

omni

Attachments

• USPS mailpiece.JPG
    USPS mailpiece.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 22
I'd never thought of a postal carrier doing that. However in my career I've seen many places where employees threw away their work. All kinds of important stuff to those impacted.

When I think of them skipping some houses due to the cold weather, I am hoping they deliver it the next day or so, and not simply toss it away.

When I think of them skipping some houses due to the cold weather, I am hoping they deliver it the next day or so, and not simply toss it away.
Seems like (tossing it) would be a federal crime punishable by fine, jail time or both? Or maybe it's like some other federal crimes that they choose not to enforce or just let it go up in smoke. :LOL:

Last edited:
We have had at least 12 different letter carriers in our neighborhood since we moved here 3 years ago. They are ALL part time employees and some even drive their own cars when delivering mail. Horrible service on a continuing basis.

I am so pleased to see that USPS is eroding to the level of service of Canada Post.

Canada Post bought a courier company (Purolator) and it is unable to deliver mail to our apartment. It is a penthouse on the 19th floor. But the official address is 4-street address. Purolator insists that 4 must be a ground floor location in a mall. We have tried PH4 but CP rejects that.

So when we ask Amazon to deliver via USPS, we are resigned to have to pick it up. Unless it is small enough to be delivered in an envelope. Then it is through the door!

---

Also, I filed temporary forwarding with USPS for ~6 months. In the first two months, my poor neighbor has already sent me 2 large envelopes of mail that ended up in my mailbox. She has spoken to the folks at the post office and I've called them twice. They assure all all is well. :nonono:

I'll go back to watching the (mis) informed delivery.:facepalm:

omni

When I was overseas for 3 months I arranged for forwarding to a service that opened my mail and emailed me scanned images. This worked for about a week, then no more email. When I got back I found the problem was with the USPS who just stopped forwarding and resumed delivery to my (overflowing) mailbox. :mad:

Our latest delivery guy brings a boom box so he can listen to loud music while putting mail into the boxes in our apartment’s mail room (~150 units).:nonono:

Our latest delivery guy brings a boom box so he can listen to loud music while putting mail into the boxes

They do get some odd ones.
Our regular carrier puts the mail in the cluster boxes, then parks his truck under a nearby tree and takes a nap for 30-45 minutes. He's been doing this for the two years we've lived here, so everyone is used to it. Probably beats the boom box routine.

Today we received about six pieces of mail addressed to us. We also received one or two pieces addressed to five other places: one house across the street, two houses on the next street, and two to other nearby towns.

Today we received about six pieces of mail addressed to us. We also received one or two pieces addressed to five other places: one house across the street, two houses on the next street, and two to other nearby towns.

When my father worked for the P.O. (decades), he was REQUIRED to look a each piece of mail before he put it in the box. Apparently, that's not a requirement anymore. :facepalm:

Every 3 months I get a lady's mail order prescriptions in my mailbox (in a big plastic envelope), then I call her and drive a few blocks and make the delivery in person.

Time for me to start getting nervous.

I subscribed to the Informed Mail USPS service which shows an image of letters arriving.

This past Saturday, the image was from the IRS which contains the PIN required to file my taxes. Well, guess what, I haven't received that letter in my mail box. Though other scanned letters have arrived. There is a mention that it can take up to a week for a letter with image to arrive. But usually, what I see as a scanned image arrives that day.

But now, I'm not sure, is that letter just delayed, or could it have been placed in a neighbor's mailbox. Or even worse, what if someone took the letter?

Time for me to start getting nervous.

I subscribed to the Informed Mail USPS service which shows an image of letters arriving.

This past Saturday, the image was from the IRS which contains the PIN required to file my taxes. Well, guess what, I haven't received that letter in my mail box. Though other scanned letters have arrived. There is a mention that it can take up to a week for a letter with image to arrive. But usually, what I see as a scanned image arrives that day.

But now, I'm not sure, is that letter just delayed, or could it have been placed in a neighbor's mailbox. Or even worse, what if someone took the letter?
I’ve received mail a day after getting the scanned image.

I’ve received mail a day after getting the scanned image.

That is good to know. I received the scan on Sat. Mon was the MLK holiday, so no mail. Yesterday, got other mail. I'm hoping Wednesday, today, is the charm.

That is good to know. I received the scan on Sat. Mon was the MLK holiday, so no mail. Yesterday, got other mail. I'm hoping Wednesday, today, is the charm.

It might end up in my mailbox—I’ll try to get it forwarded to you with the rest of the other people’s mail.

It might end up in my mailbox—I’ll try to get it forwarded to you with the rest of the other people’s mail.

What's ironic about that IRS PIN letter is the wording right on the letter saying that the letter is from IRS processing (hint, hint, somebody's PIN to file taxes :facepalm:).

Back
Top Bottom