Mnemonics you learned in grade school

Not really a mnemonic, but to remember which thread to pull to neatly open a grain bag:

When all else is done and said, its the right hand end of the single thread.

For recalling the geologic periods in the Paleozoc era:
Campbell's Oxtail Soup Develops Carbohydrates Permanently

(Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Carboniferous and Permian)

We learned the 25 Most Commonly Used Prepositions in English by singing the entire list to "Yankee Doodle".

About
Above
Across
After
Against
Among
Around....

I can still rattle most of them off. :D

The Scout Law is one that I don't remember having a acronym or mneumonic.

(Trustworthy loyal helpful friendly courteous kind obedient cheerful thrifty brave clean reverent)

Variations...
"I" before "E" except after "C" whenever the sound is like the "E" in "Me".

Thirty days hath September, April, June and November. All the rest have thirty-one except February which has twenty-eight, until leap year adds one to this date.

A little after grade school, but Ft. Benning OCS:
PPPPPPP
Proper Prior Planning Prevents P--s Poor Performance... and oh yeah... some things ya just don't forget!

Last edited:
Sin = Oscar Had
Cos = A Heap
Tan = Of Apples

which we modified as:

Sin = Otto Had
Cos = A Hell
Tan = Of Alot

:whistle:

I knew it another way, but it's not appropriate in mixed company. :rolleyes:

And if you ever studied electronics, you'll know the one for the resistor color codes (which I also can't repeat).

For pilots, calculating a compass heading:

True heading
+-Variation
Magnetic
+-Deviation
Company = Compass heading

True Virgins Make Dull Company

Thirty days hath September, April, June and November. All the rest have thirty-one except February which has twenty-eight, until leap year adds one to this date. ...

That one never helped me. What keeps me from subbing December for Sept or Nov? Or July or August for April? Or March or May for June? The meter and rhyme is the same.

-ERD50

Thirty days hath September, April, June and November. All the rest have thirty-one except February which has twenty-eight, until leap year adds one to this date.

I always liked the spoof on this in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. "Thirty Days hath September, April June, and Montana...." LOL

I learned the resistor color code from a former navy tech, turned community college instructor.
Lets just say it's not fit for print on a public forum... but 30 years later I still remember it.
That was the bad-boys one.
Then at my first engineering job coworkers taught me the Batman version... also not fit for print.

Nowdays resistors are so small there's no color code visible... Haven't had to use it in years.

Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away. Not grade school, but it helped me. I had a hell of a time remembering the TCP/IP stack.

We learned the 25 Most Commonly Used Prepositions in English by singing the entire list to "Yankee Doodle".

About
Above
Across
After
Against
Among
Around....

I can still rattle most of them off. :D

hmmm...my 6th grade teacher claims to have come up with this. :D I can still sing it. You didnt grow up in NE Ohio did you:confused:

Yankee Doodle tune goes like this...
"With, On, For, After, At, By, In, Against, Instead of, Near, Between,...
To, Off, From, Under, Down, Below, Through, Over, Up, According to,...
Abroad, Across, Beyond, About,...
Before, Behind, Within, Without,...
Amongst, Around, Amist, Above,...
Toward, Not, Withstanding, Into, Of!"

“Red Right Returning” is a mnemonic that has been used for many years by mariners as a way to remember how to navigate through a channel marked with buoys. When one is returning from sea, the red buoys should be on the right of your vessel….red-right-returning.

Leo the Lion says GER (Loss of electrons is oxidation; gain of electrons is reduction)

Some time in high school, as we learned about "love", there were back-of-the-envelope mnemonics such as SWAK and TSTSTSA (to someone too sweet to sleep alone).

hmmm...my 6th grade teacher claims to have come up with this. :D I can still sing it. You didnt grow up in NE Ohio did you:confused:

Yankee Doodle tune goes like this...
"With, On, For, After, At, By, In, Against, Instead of, Near, Between,...
To, Off, From, Under, Down, Below, Through, Over, Up, According to,...
Abroad, Across, Beyond, About,...
Before, Behind, Within, Without,...
Amongst, Around, Amist, Above,...
Toward, Not, Withstanding, Into, Of!"

No, downstate NY near NYC.

Our list of most commonly used prepositions was in alphabetical order. :LOL:

That one never helped me. What keeps me from subbing December for Sept or Nov? Or July or August for April? Or March or May for June? The meter and rhyme is the same.

-ERD50
saw one once where you put your fists together, thumb sides touching. then go across the knuckle ridge - knuckle, space between, knuckle, space between, etc. knuckles are months with 31 days, spaces are not. guess you have to figure February on your own - heh

We did a few poems for common chemicals. Never really come in handy for me, but I'll never forget the one for DDT

A mosquito cried out in pain.
"A chemist has poisoned my brain!"
The cause of his sorrow
was paradichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane.

Oh grow up Rodi--we're all adults here--I learned it when I was a buyer for an electronics distributor. "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly"

Not in grade school..but high school.

PRIMDAS - Please remember my dear aunt sally.

Only thing is I forgot what the mnemonic stood for. All I do remember is PRIMDAS had something to do with math :LOL:

Oh grow up Rodi--we're all adults here--I learned it when I was a buyer for an electronics distributor. "Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly"
That's the first one I learned. The second one was "Batman Blows Robin On Yonder Gotham Bridge, Very Gooey Work".

Ooh, I remembered two more that my AP Psych teacher taught us about the brain.

If there was a hippo on campus, you'd never forget it -- the hippocampus controls memory.

Padme Amidala showed no fear -- the amygdala controls fear reactions.

Which would you rather have after dinner, a desert or a dessert?

Dessert has 2 s's, so I would like two of them please.

Not in grade school..but high school.

PRIMDAS - Please remember my dear aunt sally.

Only thing is I forgot what the mnemonic stood for. All I do remember is PRIMDAS had something to do with math :LOL:

Might is have been PEMDAS?

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally...
order of operations: Parentheses, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction.

omni

Back
Top Bottom