Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Where is Honobob when you really need him...
I'm not gonna go looking for him. It's nice to have a real estate discussion on this board without being lambasted as a clueless idiot outposted 2:1.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Landover, your public profile says you live in Texas - - in addition to the chiggers, scorpions, snakes, and fire ants, property values just aren't skyrocketing like that in most parts of Texas. I would be skeptical of your neighbors' claims that their Texas property has risen by 5X in the past 7 years.
I moved to a developing country around 2.5 yrs back, I am talking about this country.

landover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #23
Originally Posted by landover View Post
I moved to a developing country around 2.5 yrs back, I am talking about this country.
Time to update your profile, I'd think!
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Speaking only for myself, but I found a great deal of inner peace and contentment when I stopped trying to keep up with the Joneses and started letting them "win." I suspect they'll be w*rking to pay off all their stuff long after I've retired.

There's something strangely liberating about the discovery that you can be happy with less stuff -- especially when you realize the true "cost" of all that stuff in terms of its demands on your time and your life.
Isn't comforting oneself with thoughts of how much longer the other guys are likely to have to work to pay for all their stuff just another form of "keeping up the Joneses"? But probably when I am retired and my former co-workers are still slogging away, I'll have to plead guilty to the same charge...
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:25 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Money 'only makes you happy if you have more than neighbours'.

Yes. Isn't that understood by most people here who are LBYM'ers? As millionaires-next-door, we secretly smile knowing that we have so much stashed away compared to our neighbors.

Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I thinks the article states the obvious. One can only be "wealthy" if others are not...
Similarly, the Paradox of Thrift means that LBYM'ers get ahead financially only because other people are spendthrift. If everyone stopped spending, the economy would stop growing, and we as investors would not do as well.

Originally Posted by Pete View Post
The key to happiness in this instance is not in distraction or suppressing the feelings, but understanding their roots.
Being an introvert, I spend a lot of time trying to understand myself. I then find out that self-understanding gives me empathy for others. We are more alike than we often care to admit.

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote