Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Movie Review: An Inconvenient Truth
Old 07-03-2006, 01:03 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

More bad news for the Gorebots
http://www.epw.senate.gov/pressitem....=rep&id=257909
Kinda funny but if you put a few slice of Baloney in your mouth and say Gore, it sounds exactly like Moore!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Sept. 1996 LSU at Auburn football game.* A building next to the stadium caught on fire and the flames were shooting above the stadium.* I glanced and knew it was the old gym.* Anyway, big game and ESPN had a shot of the fire and the fans in the east side of the stadium who were all watching the game.* ESPN announcer said the difference in southern football and west coast football was west coast fans would have evacuated the stadium and run out spitting on the trees.* Pretty well sums up my take on Gore.*

Old 07-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many many issues on this subject, but I will give a few of my 'thoughts'...

Back in the '70s (that long ago)... there was a 'consensus' in the scientific community that we were about to go into the next ice age.. *I have seen more than one person quoting from various scientific journals that are now telling us we are going into global warming... *do I have them.. no, will I look them up, no...

I think making less pollution is much better than making lots of pollution, no matter what we are polluting.. this includes 'greenhouse' gasses... *but, most of the pollution that we are talking about are 'local'... we have bad water in a small area, we have bad air in a small area... making changes in those areas help them a lot... *greenhouse gasses do not care where they are made, so exempting China and/ or India does not help...

We had a great opportunity a few years ago when we almost got a carbon tax... it would tax you on all the carbon you consumed, not just a gas tax... *it would make all use of carbon more expensive which would lead to more effecient machines or alternative energy sources...

We will need to get more nuclear fuels.. wind and solar cells just will not cut it with the amount of energy we need... *so the enviromentalist will have to make a choice on which is worse... and no, I am not giving up my air conditioning because some nut case thinks we can live less harmful... so nuclear it is.

I think that we should have a MAJOR tax on all vehicles that get less than 'X' MPGs.. a sliding scale... so all you HUMMER drivers should have to pay a thousand or two each year to drive one of those monsters... and the SUV can have a 500 to 1,000 tax... *no exceptions...

Just my thoughts...
Old 07-03-2006, 01:13 PM   #24

yet another thing to consider in this debate. This must really be 'inconvenient' for the proponents of 'an inconvenient truth' ??
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5076322.stm
Old 07-03-2006, 01:19 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can some of you folks who have diverted the core message of this movie to a political topic explain this issue? How come this wasn't reported on CNN or Fox? *Oh, yes let's see, maybe because Katrina was in the headlines around the same time *:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9652807/

Old 07-03-2006, 02:26 PM   #26

it is interesting how wrong thinking can be so embedded in our psyche that we could actually simply ignore truth in front of us and continue living lies.

for instance, and not picking on anyone as very few people realize, no one of serious mind really ever thought the earth was flat. i refer you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth

now imagine how many other myths we live as realty.

"the more convinced you are that a certain point of view is right, the more determined you should be to find proofs that it is wrong" ~~ aleister crowley

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:46 PM   #27

Nice review Laurence. I'm looking forward to seeing this film.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Hillary is a Lesbian!
i didn't know that!
Old 07-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
i didn't know that!
If you were married to Bill Clinton, what would you do?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #30

Quote:
keep score?
Old 07-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Bump uglies in the oval office with Monica Lewinksky *:P

Seriously though, Hillary and Condelezza both need to come out of their closet!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Hillary and Condelezza
naw, say it ain't true -- if nothing else you'd think their politics would keep them apart
Old 07-03-2006, 05:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I havent seen the movie yet, but I've seen gore being interviewed on about 3200 shows.* My take is that he sincerely believes his story, he's telling what he thinks is a whole story, and his intention is to educate.

Baloney.* Al Gore has no sincere beliefs.* Remember his bs at the Democratic convention about his sister.* He was so sincere.* Forgot about the tobacco support he had given to the Tennessee farmers.* His intention is propaganda with a side exit to the Democratic nomination.* Bush is (may be) a bad president, but he saved us from Gore.* For that he should get the Nobel Prize.

Now I need to go turn my ac down. I'm hot!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:53 PM   #34

Hey Eagle, give Al Gore a break. If he didn't invent the internet we wouldn't have this forum.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:23 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I see I touched a nerve.

BTW Alex, Al Gore talks about that issue of Arctic Ocean levels in the movie, too. It's funny to watch you throw as much garbage as you can at this movie, and you haven't even seen it. No need to find out for yourself, right? See the movie, then make up your mind. Wow, I'm not rooting for a Gore Presidency either, it's just a damn good movie.

Justin, I will gladly answer your questions, sorry I didn't get back sooner, we spent the day at the beach! Tori's wiped out from her first body surfing lessons - I swear this kid has no fear!

I saw both movies, and the best way I can describe it is Moore's film is to Gore's film an MTV "rockumentary" vs. a guest lecturer at your University. There are no catchy tunes or people being played "gotcha" with as their quote is cut off before the part that doesn't fit gets said, etc.

Has Gore formed an opinion and drawn a conclusion? Absolutely. Has he sensationalized it a bit and simplified some issues to make it flow better in a 90 minute movie? Very plainly. You can nitpick individual sentences here and there throughout the movie, disagree with individual events being attributed to it? Heck, I do. But I believe the overall message is very clear, coherent, and not hysterical or overhyped in any way. He makes one ( 1, uno) crack at the current administration very indirectly ( a joke about his grade school science teacher). The ending just leaves you with, "hey, check it out, learn more, decide what you want to do.".

Again, see the movie and make up your own mind. We have such a problem in this country of people only engaging in dialouge with those they already agree with. Even here on this board, which is probably the most moderate, even keel, deep thinking group of people I know, we see it.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #36

see "Don't Believe the Hype
Al Gore is wrong. There's no "consensus" on global warming."
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008597
true, the author is not a politician, but a mere Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT, but perhaps worth reading anyway.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
see "Don't Believe the Hype
Al Gore is wrong. There's no "consensus" on global warming."
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008597
true, the author is not a politician, but a mere Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Atmospheric Science at MIT, but perhaps worth reading anyway.
Mr. Lindzen apparently was also in the small minority of members (1.5%) disagreeing with the conclusions of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intergo...Climate_Change

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #38

Wow, I'm surprised at all the negativity on this issue. It may be a very serious issue and I thought it would be met with more open mindedness from the people on this board. I think burying your head in the sand and not at least looking at the facts presented from both sides is just ignorant.

Gore is not lining his pockets with the proceeds of this movie, and even if he has his sights on the Presidency down the road, that does not deminish the merits of the movie. Gore has been a supporter of environmental issues for a considerable time, and way before he ran for President. He has also been a supporter of funding for the AIDS crises in Africa, again way before his presidential campaign.

I believe the poster who saw the movie said that evidence from both sides were provided.
Irregardless of whether it does or doesn't explore both sides, I think it every American has an obligation to see the movie. And that's my two cents.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:58 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if it is "negativity," just skepticism. I'm not surprised to see a lot of independent thought here.
Maybe the movie is entertaining, but I'm just have little faith that a movie intended for mass audiences is capable of impartially portraying a politcally contentious issue or that such a movie can fully and accurately describe a very complex scientific/technical subject. So, I'll probably not pay to see this movie, but might watch it if it comes on TV.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:01 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Thing is Sam, I dont see any "independent thought". I see some folks who didnt see the movie, and either saw "al gore" and screamed "agenda!" or already have their minds made up and arent interested in further factual modification of that made up mind.

The perspective on this issue is probably already fixed in each persons mind, largely in the absence of facts. Like a lot of other topics we discuss

By the way, wheres the politics in this, other than pressing some businesses to pollute less than they are now and they might not care much for that?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote