The Omen (1976)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
Halloween III (1982)
Creepshow (1982)
The Shining (1980)
Eraserhead (1977)
The Evil Dead (1981)
Carrie (1976)

Original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" from 1955. I was 12 years old and babysitting the neighbors kids one Saturday night and this movie was the late night horror movie. Scared the living sh*t out of me! I ran home, checked under my bed for pods, tried to sleep, checked under my bed, tried to sleep, etc.

The remake was excellent but nothing has grabbed me like the original.

Love Horror Movies! My favorites, in no particular order:

Night of the Living Dead (the original)
Carrie (the original)
Texas Chain Saw Massacre (the original)
Get Out
The Sixth Sense
Tales from the Crypt (the original)
It Follows
Poltergeist
The Ring
The Shining
The Birds
The Omen
Rosemary's Baby

Huge horror movie fan here. My favorites, in no particular order:

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Salem's Lot (1979)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Omen (1976)
Halloween III (1982)
Creepshow (1982)
The Shining (1980)
Eraserhead (1977)
The Evil Dead (1981)
Carrie (1976)

Me too!

By far, the creepiest and weirdest movie I've ever seen is Eraserhead.

By far, the creepiest and weirdest movie I've ever seen is Eraserhead.

+1
Definitely one of the weirdest, most unsettling, and most horrific. A true masterpiece of avant-garde psychological cult-horror.

While I love all horror movies (good and bad), whenever I am asked this question, I always say The Ring. I always remember the scene when Samara climbs out of the TV...

Not much of a scary movie fan. But Halloween I is well done.

A lot of good suggestions here, but I'll give It Follows (2014) another nudge.

I ended up watching tonight the movie "Dressed To Kill." I had not watched before. I remember when it was out in the 1980s people talking about it saying how scary it was.

To me, I really didn't find the movie too scary at all. Was more like a satire of the movie Psycho than anything else.

Have to confess, I prefer scary movies and action movies. I always have a hard time classifying anything as "the best" so I usually go with top 3. Here are mine:
The Haunting (original)
Alien
John Carpenter's The Thing

Honorable mention to a non-traditional, but very scary to me, classic movie: Bad Seed.

Ah, yes, "The Haunting" (original 1963.) Just watched it - again - on TCM. What a creepy movie without the gore. It's 99% psychological terror - not CG creatures or violence. I read the book "The Haunting of Hill House" from which the movie was adapted. Great, scary book. The scariest part in the book (and the movie) was: See at about 1:05.

"Whose hand was I holding?"

Huge horror movie fan here. My favorites, in no particular order:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Salem's Lot (1979)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Omen (1976)
Halloween III (1982)
Creepshow (1982)
The Shining (1980)
Eraserhead (1977)
The Evil Dead (1981)
Carrie (1976)

I'm a BIG horror fan also. I also enjoy Sci-Fi too. But here's my horror favs:

Alien (1979)
Aliens (1986)
The Omen (1976)
The Shining (1980)
Carrie (1976)
Southbound (2015)
Hellraiser (1987)
Session 9 (2001)

No particular order.

Carrie is on a lot of lists here. What a great movie! Great casting and directing. It got the biggest jump out of me of any movie I've ever seen. No spoilers just in case someone here hasn't seen it, but I'm sure everyone who has knows what scene I'm referring to!

Carrie was Stephen King's first published novel and his first book to be made into a movie. I wish I'd kept the copy I'd bought before the movie came out.

“Repulsion”, by Roman Polanski,
“The Wicker Man” original, 60s version
“The Curse of the Beast” (1959?) terrifying!

Jurassic Park was pretty scary.

Yeah, Poltergeist really got me.

It’s been a very long time since I watched scary movies.

Last edited:
Carrie is on a lot of lists here. What a great movie! Great casting and directing. It got the biggest jump out of me of any movie I've ever seen. No spoilers just in case someone here hasn't seen it, but I'm sure everyone who has knows what scene I'm referring to!

Carrie was Stephen King's first published novel and his first book to be made into a movie. I wish I'd kept the copy I'd bought before the movie came out.

Unfortunately, the "Carrie" scene that sticks in my mind is the "shower scene" - not to be confused with the shower scene in Psycho. I honestly wasn't ready for that scene. Wish I could forget it (Carrie - not Psycho.) I guess I'm old fashioned or something.

The original Frankenstein. A friend and I were watching it and we both were terrified. I guess we were about 8 years old.

When a Stranger Calls (IIRC)

Decades ago my niece and nephew were staying with my parents, my dad was approaching 90, my niece and nephew were in grade school and I was tasked with renting a movie from Blockbuster. Anything with the F word was out and there was a huge age gap so it was a challenging choice to make. I picked When a Stranger Calls. At one point toward the end of the movie I screamed and flew off the couch. Everyone burst out laughing.

Back
Top Bottom