Movies That Scared Us As A Kid

Yes, this. Also, this:

Phantasm2_01b_610_407shar_s_c1.jpg

I suspect most people don't know that the title song in the original ~1958 movie (The Blob) was co-written by Burt Bacharach and it became a hit song in the US.

I remember the song quite well, but forgot that it was from a movie! "Beware of the blob, it creeps and leaps, and glides and slides across the floor"

I was in college when it came out, but don't think any movie has ever effected me as strongly and as long as Jaws. Even though I love the beach and swimming and snorkeling and such, I still keep an eye out when I'm playing in the water. It's become part of me.

I never learned to swim because of Jaws.

As a kid, I begged my parents to take me to see Jaws, and I was enjoying it, right up to the point where the guy goes in the water to investigate the boat, and the severed head floats by.

That did it. Never had a desire to go in the water or learn to swim. Even to this day as an adult, I don't like to get into hot tubs or bath tubs.

The only other movie that freaked me out a bit was The Blair Witch Project. I was living up in the woods in Colorado when I saw it, and it freaked me out enough that I didn't want to make the drive back home, up into the mountains at night, and driving through the woods.

The original Salems Lot from 1979. Specifically this scene. It scared me so much I had nightmares for weeks, and it still kinda freaks me out even to this day! The ominous music and feeling of dread when this vampire kid comes floating up to the window through the mist and then scratches at the glass... Yeah, that was just beyond creepy.

where-are-these-creepy-horror-movie-kids-now-75175339-aug-13-2013-1-600x500.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't get to see a lot of movies as kid but somehow saw something called Donovan's Brain that absolutely freaked me out. IIRC it was a brain that was kept in an aquarium like tank and that's about all I remember, but as I say, it scared the bejeezus out of me!

All those werewolf movies ( Lon Chaney - The Wolfman)

Back
Top Bottom