Multi-users on iPad

TwoByFour

Recycles dryer sheets
I am used to Windows which allows multiple accounts, at least in the Pro version. So my wife and I can share the computer but we each have our own browser, email program, etc.

We are about to buy a new tablet, probably an iPad, but I cannot see how we can share it so we each have our own settings like we do on Windows. How do others deal with this?

Sorry, I realized that reply may sound a little snarky.

I am an iPad user. You are correct, there isn’t a way to have two user accounts on a single iPad.

If you aren’t positive you want an iPad, check out some lower-priced options such as the Kindle Fire tablet. You could buy two of those for the price of a single iPad. Or, go the other direction and get something like a Surface tablet. The user experience with a Surface is very much like that with Windows. Multiple user accounts that can even be linked with your desktop account.

I use an iPad, DH has a Surface. He doesn’t really use the surface as a tablet, he attaches a keyboard and treats it more as a laptop. My parents have Kindle Fires that they like for playing games.

What do you plan to do with your tablet?

You could use different browsers so you could each have your own bookmarks.(Safari & Firefox) and setup mail for two accounts.
Or just get a macbook air instead.

To me, a iPad is a personal device, similar to a phone. DW’s finger print is in my iPad in case she needs it, but she has her own. Note, an iPad is or can be closely tied to your iPhone. I get texts on my iPad and my pictures are synced to both the phone and the pad. Making it even more of an individual device.

What do you plan to do with your tablet?

My wife is an artist and wants to use the pencil-stylus with some drawing programs. She also takes photos with her phone and then composes from the pad.

I want to sneak off and watch football games. :) DW is not a fan of NFL. I also do woodworking as a hobby and my hope is the pad can help with design of the things I build.

Our biggest problem is going to be with photo-sharing. DW uses her iCloud account to share photos to/from her phone. I do the same thing with my iCloud account. But we cannot have two iCloud accounts on the iPad that I know of. I am thinking one of us would use iCloud, the other would switch to Google drive to share.

We could buy another manufacturer's tablet but I am leery about how well personal data is handled by all these guys. I think Apple is more trustworthy than Google and Microsoft. And way more than Amazon, who I don't trust at all.

It’s a personal device! It will sync to your phone, your pics, your apps. Why on earth would you try to mix up that mess. Buy 2.

How are you going to handle the times when DW wants to draw while you’re doing woodwork? The only way I’d be okay with sharing is if one person is primary. Basically their iPad and partner only uses it on occasion and not frequently. If both were good with that, then I’d go for it. Otherwise, I’d get two. You do realize that there are different levels. For surfing, you can get a 9 inch iPad and DW can get the 10 inch pro. The 9 inch with base memory is not too expensive and does a lot. Might even be good enough for DW so maybe by one of the base iPads and see if that’s enough.

How are you going to handle the times when DW wants to draw while you’re doing woodwork? The only way I’d be okay with sharing is if one person is primary. Basically their iPad and partner only uses it on occasion and not frequently. If both were good with that, then I’d go for it. Otherwise, I’d get two. You do realize that there are different levels. For surfing, you can get a 9 inch iPad and DW can get the 10 inch pro. The 9 inch with base memory is not too expensive and does a lot. Might even be good enough for DW so maybe by one of the base iPads and see if that’s enough.

And that is the situation - DW will use it probably 30+ hours a week and I would use it less than 5 hours. And she wants a Pro, at $600. So I am thinking for that much money I'd like to use it a bit also but my usage is going to be low so not sure it warrants a whole 2nd tablet.

My wife is an artist and wants to use the pencil-stylus with some drawing programs. She also takes photos with her phone and then composes from the pad.

I want to sneak off and watch football games. :) DW is not a fan of NFL. I also do woodworking as a hobby and my hope is the pad can help with design of the things I build.

Our biggest problem is going to be with photo-sharing. DW uses her iCloud account to share photos to/from her phone. I do the same thing with my iCloud account. But we cannot have two iCloud accounts on the iPad that I know of. I am thinking one of us would use iCloud, the other would switch to Google drive to share.

We could buy another manufacturer's tablet but I am leery about how well personal data is handled by all these guys. I think Apple is more trustworthy than Google and Microsoft. And way more than Amazon, who I don't trust at all.
My first thought was +1@Philliefan33, which didn’t seem snarky because Apple has truly designed it as an individual device. Still, in the interest of LBYM, you might consider looking into an older refurbished iP pad for you, especially if you don’t require the latest functionality.

Apple does have some type of iCloud sharing. Perhaps someone here is familiar with the details. It looks like you can create and share photo albums.

If you have iPhones, do you need additional access to both iCloud accounts on the iPad?

Costco, in store, not online, usually carries the older model iPad's after a model change. The pricing is usually really nice. Good time to buy, if you are in the market.

And that is the situation - DW will use it probably 30+ hours a week and I would use it less than 5 hours. And she wants a Pro, at $600. So I am thinking for that much money I'd like to use it a bit also but my usage is going to be low so not sure it warrants a whole 2nd tablet.

Then just get the one and don’t try to link it. Just keep you bookmarks in a separate folder. Though the base iPad is only $329 and I’ve seen it on sale this season for $250.

I was going to recommend what Jerry1 said: get DW the iPad pro and get yourself the cheaper iPad.

If you get last years pro model, then you can even share the pencil.

Then just get the one and don’t try to link it. Just keep you bookmarks in a separate folder. Though the base iPad is only $329 and I’ve seen it on sale this season for $250.

Yes, DW and I just picked up two 9.7" 32GB iPads during the Costco sale for $249 each. We have an 7-year old iPad that is still running strong, but too old to get the apple software updates. It's been a great device. If you decide to get only one iPad, keep in mind that you can set up multiple emails, so sharing is not a big deal.

I was going to recommend what Jerry1 said: get DW the iPad pro and get yourself the cheaper iPad.

If you get last years pro model, then you can even share the pencil.

I think the base iPad now works with the pencil.

I am used to Windows which allows multiple accounts, at least in the Pro version. So my wife and I can share the computer but we each have our own browser, email program, etc.

We are about to buy a new tablet, probably an iPad, but I cannot see how we can share it so we each have our own settings like we do on Windows. How do others deal with this?

MacBooks and Oth Apple computers have multiple user accounts, but iPads do not.

I picked up the latest iPad mini at Best Buy for $200 a couple of years ago. What a deal!

I picked up the latest iPad mini at Best Buy for $200 a couple of years ago. What a deal!
That was a fantastic deal.

DW and I each have our own iPads and they've been well worth the cost. For a time we tried sharing one iCloud account but that really doesn't work.
Do you recall what the issue was when trying to share iCloud?

Like others, I’d recommend two iPads unless one or both of you aren’t going to use one much. The newest iPad starts at $329, and you can find deals on previous models and spend even less. The iPad Pro is very nice, but probably not worth double the price for most users. We’re Windows users, but we wouldn’t consider any other brand of tablet, there’s a reason the iPad outsells all competitors. Best of luck.

I think the base iPad now works with the pencil.

The base iPad works with the pencil, but there are now two versions of the pencil. The latest one (v2) only works with the new iPad Pro. The original pencil works with the old iPad Pro and latest iPad (the cheaper one).

I’m still not sure how the more expensive iPads can replace a MacBook if they don’t allow multiple users.

I’m still not sure how the more expensive iPads can replace a MacBook if they don’t allow multiple users.

iPads don't replace MacBooks. Not for us.

I can't run my Quicken or Turbotax on them, and I don't care to do spreadsheets on them either. It's a different animal, IMO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom