Music of Louisiana

Fernest Arceneaux and the Zydeco Allstars are tres bien.

I live (1/2) time in Louisiana, but it's the NW part of the state (Bossier City) which really seems more like east Texas than traditional Louisiana. 1/2 the week I work in Texas, the other 1/2 I'm hanging out in LA with the wifey unit.

That reminds me of a song by Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown:

"I was born in Louisiana and raised on the Texas side..."

The Cox family lives about 20 miles or so from my place in Bossier City. They have some of their music in the movie O' Brother, where art thou?

The Cox family lives about 20 miles or so from my place in Bossier City. They have some of their music in the movie O' Brother, where art thou?

They did "I Am Weary, Let Me Rest".

There is nothing like family harmony -- The Cox Family, The Whites, The Judds, Martie Maguire and Emily Robison of the Dixie Chicks just to name a few.

I was shocked and amazed the first time I heard this accordion player, all I had heard before that was that guy on Lawrence Welk's show:

YouTube - Clifton Chenier plays Jay's Lounge laisse les bons temps roulers!

One my local muscians, Eric Burden from Newcastle, wrote a fantastic song about New Orleans and I never dreamed that I would live close by one day.

I like their version, but the song goes way back before those lads:

The House of the Rising Sun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Like many classic folk ballads, the authorship of "The House of the Rising Sun" is unknown. ....

Alan Price of The Animals has claimed that the song was originally a sixteenth-century English folk song about a Soho brothel, and that English emigrants took the song to America where it was adapted to its later New Orleans setting.[1]

The oldest known existing recording is by Appalachian artists Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster and was made in 1933. ...

The song might have been lost to obscurity had it not been collected by folklorist Alan Lomax, who, along with his father, was a curator of the Archive of American Folk Song for the Library of Congress. On an expedition with his wife to eastern Kentucky Lomax set up his recording equipment in Middlesborough, Kentucky in the house of a singer and activist called Tilman Cadle. On September 15, 1937 he recorded a performance by Georgia Turner, the 16 year-old daughter of a local miner. He called it "The Risin' Sun Blues."

-ERD50

Post your favorite music from or about Louisiana for W2R and Frank!

Awww, thank you!! What a neat thread. And thanks to everyone who posted their favorite Louisiana music. I'm going to really enjoy listening to all of it. :flowers:

How about the Neville Brothers?

More on the legend of the House of the Rising Sun, and I think this one is the most accepted locally right now. The following is from New Orleans trivia columnist Blake Ponchartrain, of a local publication called the Gambit:

Blake_Ponchartrain said:
Another story proffers the famed house was at 826-830 St. Louis St. and was a brothel originally run by Madam Marianne LeSoleil Levant, whose surname is French for "rising sun."

  Today, the three-story white building on St. Louis Street is owned by attorney Darlene Jacobs Levy and houses her Home Finders International real estate company. She inherited the building when her husband died in the late 1980s, and she began renovating the front apartment of the derelict building as a place for her father to live. Workmen at the site discovered risque postcards of half-dressed women from the 1800s behind a wall and uncovered fancy fluted columns and a ceiling mural of a golden rising sun surrounded by three cherubs. Levy says the house was a bordello operated by a succession of different madams for many years before her husband bought the building.
http://www.bestofneworleans.com/gambit/where-is-the-house-of-the-rising-sun/Content?oid=1331493

Just six houses down from where F. was born, in the French Quarter. But not the same house, or the same circumstance. ;)

The version of "House of the Rising Sun" by the Animals has been a long-time favorite song of mine. I heard it as a kid, before I even knew any English. Actually, I might have heard the French translation first, as recorded by Johnny Hallyday as "Le pénitencier" (The penitentiary prisoner), which was definitely taken after this version by the Animals as the beat and the music score were identical.

I like this song enough to have posted it more than once, and as sung by different artists, and also made a note of the song's earlier origin. Just now, I searched the forum and found MickeyD also noted this song's origin in an even earlier post.

On youtube, one can find slightly different versions recorded earlier than the Animals' version, made by Nina Simone and Bob Dylan. And by the way, the lead singer of the Animals is Eric Burdon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom