Join Early Retirement Today

My High School Annual
Old 09-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

My High School Annual

De-cluttering for move in the next month. DW is throwing away her high school and college annuals... I'm inclined to keep maybe the Jr and Sr HS annual and ditch the rest.

Do you still have your annuals?

If so, do the margins contain lines about how sweet, cute and nice you were?

My favorite line is 'Remember Grant, Remember Lee, to hell with them, Remember Me!'

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
De-cluttering for move in the next month. DW is throwing away her high school and college annuals... I'm inclined to keep maybe the Jr and Sr HS annual and ditch the rest.

The DW and I still have our senior year books. Mine will be 50 years old in a few more years and it's held up better than I have.

Old 09-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #3

The high school and the community I grew up in is on Facebook. I sometimes look at my 1968 annual and compare it with their photos on F/B.

Boy, those people sure do look old.

When I look in the mirror, all I see is blonde hair. My grandson told me last night that my blonde hair was actually white in front and gray in the back. Oh, well. At least I still have hair. And I still think young.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
The DW and I still have our senior year books. Mine will be 50 years old in a few more years and it's held up better than I have.
We have the same issue.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a 71 and a 72 yearbook from HS. I never really look at them, but they don't consume much space. There are some messages from classmates in the inside covers.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

DW and I graduated in the same class and we both have out yearbooks. We rarely look at them other than perhaps just before a class reunion or if we hear a classmate has died.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #7

Scanned and tossed, just like everything else, right after retirement.

I look at these and my other old records more often now that they are just sitting on the computer.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:41 AM   #8

My aunt passed away last year. My cousin found my grandparents' yearbooks. It was fascinating to realize that the activities groups were the same as many today--football team, band, theater, etc.

No computer club back in 1921, though.

We'll hang onto the yearbooks. And the elementary class pictures...they don't take much space. I have finally thrown out my med school notes, and all of my obsolete textbooks. I have kept one paper from UC Berkeley, a paper from graduate level biochemistry course. I wrote about a very complex topic, wrote very well, and no longer fully understand what the heck I was saying, since biochemistry research wasn't part of my career. I keep it as a matter of pride, a reminder of what I could/can do if I apply myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #9

I have mine. I also have my parents' and grandmother's annuals. I realized how much fun we had looking through theirs, so will probably keep them all for my children and grandchildren.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #10

Lost mine years ago during a move. My brother has his I think so I could look at them if I wanted. No interest though. When I see some of my high school friends (infrequent) I always wonder what we had in common. Certainly little at this point.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #11

I too lost mine years ago.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:28 AM   #12

I finally pitched all my old university text books and notes. My chemistry book listed the elements as Air Earth Fire and Water.

But, I did keep the Senior HS yearbook. DW even has the Junior HS yearbook (went to HS together - long story.)

Did the 50th HS reunion this summer. Mostly just old people I had forgotten with a few exceptions. Still, I plan on keeping the yearbook and let someone else pitch it after I'm gone.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #13

Until this thread I had never heard of a junior HS yearbook.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I could not afford to purchase my HS annual yearbook. Seemed like $10 was a lot of cash in those days.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Yep. They don't take up much space, and provide a fun way to look back on an important part of my life. Plus, I was on the yearbook staff, so I recall helping with some of the layouts, taking some of the pictures, etc.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #16

DH and I still have all of our HS and college yearbooks. Can't tell you the last time we opened them.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Have all my Jr. High and High School yearbooks. Go back and read some of the messages left in them and all the old pictures. Reminds me of good and bad times. Part of who I am today.

Also, fun to look at how old those old schoolmates are and glad I don't look any older. :-)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I have Jr.HS and HS yearbooks, look at them once a year. No one in my class I really keep up with and there is a class website that updates occasionally.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I went to 5 high schools, so I didn't really know anybody even when I was there. I have one FB friend from high school, but that's it. I do have a couple of yearbooks, but no real reason to keep them. I haven't looked in them since graduation (40 years ago).
Old 09-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I have my Jr & Sr year books. One of my 'friends' wrote stuff that was sooooo bad I had to paste a blank piece of construction paper over it (although I can't recall what it was). A tamer statement started out with: "You are a swell plant. You are as crazy as a newborn piece of sh_t"

Wonderful time of life, but not as good as now!