Kids in graduate school

I go to a dentist who went to a top notch school - all courtesy of the U.S. Navy. He got a full scholarship and stipend in return for a few years service (and travel). Even though he needed to serve several years, he was WAAAY ahead of all of his classmates struggling under debt. once he finished his obligation, he was able to start his own dental practice and now even hires other dentists.

Both of our kids knew since they were 12 years old that we would pay for their first four years of university or college and then they were on their own for additional education, and then they were on their own for graduate school. Both got graduate degrees and they figured out how to pay for them.

There have been studies that show the kids that get the most help from their parents are not the kids that are the most successful in life.

Both of our kids knew since they were 12 years old that we would pay for their first four years of university or college and then they were on their own for additional education, and then they were on their own for graduate school. Both got graduate degrees and they figured out how to pay for them.

There have been studies that show the kids that get the most help from their parents are not the kids that are the most successful in life.

But is that because people who get help are satisfied easier? Or is it because the people who don't get help seem to accomplish more because they start at a lower level so if they climb equally to those who get help they seem more "successful" than someone who started off with a ton of help?

And even though you don't help them past undergrad, isn't that more than the majority of students whose parents aren't financially responsible enough to help? I just question those studies.

I see friends who got a lot of help from family and are very successful and raising very successful children. I sort of think it's more raising your children with good values than how much you help, but maybe I'm wrong.

Long story short, we made it clear to our 3 wonderful daughters that DW and I were able and willing to fund each of their 4-year undergraduate degrees, the equivalent $ of 4- years tuition, books and fees, at the nearby major state university (Go Buckeyes!). There was no need to either go out of state or live on campus since we are approximately 20 minutes from main campus. Want to live on campus? That's entirely optional and on them. This was back in the early 2000's, with tuition running approx $8k per year, and room and board about the same...
Two went further for Masters (education)and one to a doctorate (DPT). All are very successful in their fields, and student loans are practically paid off.
Neither we nor they went broke in the process. We think having some $skin in the game encouraged great academic achievement and actually more appreciation of our "gifts" than had we simply given them all the money up front.

One further note is that each child received a very reliable gently used Honda for free, which we loosely tied to successfully graduating high school. Cars lasted them well past the college years 😀

Back
Top Bottom