National Get Outdoors Day

Ya know what I’ve noticed? Is this a national phenomenon or what. Way back in the ‘80s they had weekend events called “street fairs” which ran 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. both days; not anymore, the exact same idea is now call “festival.” Wassup with that? So SO and I remain woefully out-of-date calling them “moveable fairs” because the fold-up tents, snake oil salesmen, crafts, clothes, leather goods, beer pens, food courts, jewelry, bands, etc. appear in a different neighborhood every weekend, four of them are within walking distance, that is, when the knees are good, or as Texans point out when the thermometer is only in two digits.

This part should be outlawed: the first thing I saw at a festival last Sat. was a unique money holder, “as seen on TV.” The Texas Tickets are $10, ours are free but don’t get the word out about that. They have these large green enclosures I call beer pens that I really don’t understand, they sell beer nearby and cops standby watching them go into the pens; guess it’s a social event, dating scene, never see anyone in there over the age of 30. I guess going to those places does quality as “get outdoors” credit.

Watered the tomatoes and took a dip in the pool. Low to mid 90's weekend which is lower than normal for the month of June in Phoenix.

I went to the mailbox. It's hotter than a $2 pistol here.

Currently 101 here. I'm feeling my wallet getting lighter every time I hear the A/C kick on.

Yep.

I wonder how the organizers of the local Texas Folklife Festival feel about their decision to move the annual celebration from August back to June in order to avoid the heat...:cool:
Hey, kids, want some snow ? :greetings10:

When you report temps like that, what is the accompanying humidity ?

Hey, kids, want some snow ? :greetings10:

When you report temps like that, what is the accompanying humidity ?
Snow, in TX...this time of year? That really would be "when hell freezes over!" :LOL:

The humidity today was around 65%. It's usually much lower, but we've gotten a lot of rain lately.

Phoenix has been 8% to 15% humidity this week. That goes down when the temp goes up until we get to our monsoon season in late July or early August. It is quite comfie in the shade at 100 when the humidity is only 5% to 8%.

Phoenix has been 8% to 15% humidity this week. That goes down when the temp goes up until we get to our monsoon season in late July or early August. It is quite comfie in the shade at 100 when the humidity is only 5% to 8%.
Our 100 degree days often have dewpoints around 70, which translates to a "heat index" around 110. But I've been in 110 and very dry, and I'd prefer that to 100 and humid. It was really bad when we were in Houston; we could have 95 with a dewpoint near 80. You literally started sweating the instant you went outside.

Well, we went camping in a nearby county park. We had a fun trip, but it started raining last night at about 5:30 and never really let up until 6AM. I managed to cook over a fire (a mountain of MatchLight conquered the incoming raindrops long enough to finish), and we had dinner under the awning. Split this morning since evrything was so soggy. The 4 mile hike through fields of blueberry bushes, mixed hardwood and pitch pine forest, and along a river while the kids were napping made the whole thing more than worth it.

It's not an official camping trip until all your stuff has been drenched...

.... The 4 mile hike through fields of blueberry bushes, mixed hardwood and pitch pine forest, and along a river while the kids were napping made the whole thing more than worth it.

Oh, so they grow on bushes, I've been wondering about that.:D

enacted closely-knit lineouts and weren't afraid to pile into a tackle or two.

Oh my.....:eek:

No fair tackling by the short arms, in nude rugby.
coolsmiley.gif

Just remembered the motto: Give blood, play rugby.
:D

Went kayaking early in the spring. Again went out paddling yesterday, was fine on the water, then back ashore the grass pollen attacked, with a vengeance. Took 15 minutes sitting in air conditioned suburban until my eyes stopped watering such that I could drive. Bummer, allergies suck. Have high levels igE.

Will get out again when allergy season stops.

I don't no much about splintin' no broken bones, but perhaps I could kiss the bob boo and make it all better. :flowers:

I don't no much about splintin' no broken bones, but perhaps I could kiss the bob boo and make it all better. :flowers:

Boo Boo Bear needs you.

According to Wikipedia:
Boo Boo's only set of clothes appears to be a bow tie. In some cartoons Boo Boo's tie is attached to a collar around his neck. However, in other cartoons the tie is stuck directly into Boo Boo's fur on his neck. Several early Hanna-Barbera characters wear collars and/or ties because this was a way of separating the head from the body for independent movement on two different cells, as called for in "limited" animation.

Yogi's the one who's better than the average bear.

Back
Top Bottom