NE Patriots, cheating, and related topics

redduck, which game did your team play last weekend? Oh.... I forgot.... they were out on the golf course. :D So sad.

You have to admit that the NFL thread was more fun before they split it

Pete Rosa not being in the HOF is a complete travesty. Why does gambling have anything to do with how great a player he was? I understand why they dont want to allow him back into baseball but the HOF is a different subject all together.

There are plenty of people in the HOF who are not the most innocent of people.

Is Pete Rose one of the best baseball players of all time? Nobody can possibly say No. Let him in.

Rose has never been accused of betting AGAINST his team. Personally I dont even care that he gambled. Especially when he gambled ON his team. That just made him try even harder. Why is that a bad thing?

Here's why baseball has banned betting by players since 1920, and has a sign to that effect posted in every locker room. Rose might never have bet against his team, but he didn't bet on his team every single game.

Now put yourself in the bookie's shoes. Every once in a while, he doesn't bet on the Reds game that day. See how that could be a pretty nice indicator to the bookie that the Reds aren't likely to do well that day? Some games he bet a lot, some he bet less, some he didn't bet at all. What does that say to the bookie? This is why betting on games can not be tolerated. You don't have to intentionally strike out or make errors to throw a game. A heavy better who doesn't bet on a game that he manages creates the suspicion that something fishy could be going on. That cannot be allowed.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great player. I'm not saying other people didn't do bad things either. But Rule 21-b has been posted in every clubhouse for decades, stating anyone who bets will be permanently ineligible. And that is for good reason. He knew what would happen if he got caught.

As my grandfather, occasional mangler of phrases, used to say, "He buttered his bread, now he has to lie in it."

The moderators created this thread, transferring the argumentative/hate posts over here from the NFL 2015 thread--then no one takes them up on it.

So...
I'M GLAD THE CHEATNG PATRIOTS AND THE CHEATING TOM BRADY AND CHEATING BILL BELICHICK LOST!!!!!

(A thread is a terrible thing to waste).

My sentiments exactly, redduck. Although, it would have been fun to see Brady and crew get crushed by Cam Newton and the Panthers in the Super Bowl, had they managed to slip by the Broncos.......

You have to admit that the NFL thread was more fun before they split it

Yes, and NFL thread was even more fun before Le'Veon Bell, Antonio Brown and Big Ben were injured.

However, even before Bell, Brown and Ben (aka Ben Brown-Bell (trying saying that real fast 8 times) were injured, I didn't like the Patriots (and, I won't like the Patriots next season, either). However, I do wish the Steelers had Brady as back-up quarterback instead of Landry Jones.

+the thread was more fun when DeAngelo Williams was able to play (Probably was more fun for DeAngelo as well).

Here's why baseball has banned betting by players since 1920, and has a sign to that effect posted in every locker room. Rose might never have bet against his team, but he didn't bet on his team every single game.

Now put yourself in the bookie's shoes. Every once in a while, he doesn't bet on the Reds game that day. See how that could be a pretty nice indicator to the bookie that the Reds aren't likely to do well that day? Some games he bet a lot, some he bet less, some he didn't bet at all. What does that say to the bookie? This is why betting on games can not be tolerated. You don't have to intentionally strike out or make errors to throw a game. A heavy better who doesn't bet on a game that he manages creates the suspicion that something fishy could be going on. That cannot be allowed.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great player. I'm not saying other people didn't do bad things either. But Rule 21-b has been posted in every clubhouse for decades, stating anyone who bets will be permanently ineligible. And that is for good reason. He knew what would happen if he got caught.

As my grandfather, occasional mangler of phrases, used to say, "He buttered his bread, now he has to lie in it."

It's even more than that. A baseball team has limited pitching resources over a season, so a manager has to use them wisely. This means you don't use your top reliever in a game that is essentially lost, but rather one of your mop up men to finish the game. But if you've got a big bet on your team, you might be less likely to give up on a game and use your most valuable resource even though the best strategy for the whole season would be to save him for when he'd be more likely to get or preserve a win.

The moderators created this thread, transferring the argumentative/hate posts over here from the NFL 2015 thread--then no one takes them up on it.

So...
I'M GLAD THE CHEATNG PATRIOTS AND THE CHEATING TOM BRADY AND CHEATING BILL BELICHICK LOST!!!!!

We could care less about what you think........

I was satisfied that they made it to the AFC championship for the 5th consecutive year with all the injuries they had and they'll be in there again next year as long as we have Belichick and Brady the GOAT.:dance:

Last edited:
Yup. NE has played in 7 of the last 10 AFC Championships... Steelers only 2. NE has played in 10 of the last 15 AFC Championships... Steelers only 5.

Almost makes one feel sorry for Steelers fans that their team bows out early so often. :D

No Pats fan but credit to them for getting so far despite all the injured personnel.

Yup. NE has played in 7 of the last 10 AFC Championships... Steelers only 2. NE has played in 10 of the last 15 AFC Championships... Steelers only 5.

Almost makes one feel sorry for Steelers fans that their team bows out early so often. :D

Yeah, but people buy more Steeler jerseys. :)

Jan 08, 2011 Pittsburgh Steelers lead NFL in merchandise sales

Updated 2011-01-08 3:04 PM

Ask NFL TV executives who air as many Pittsburgh Steelers games as possible and they'll give you the reason: The team has one of the biggest national fan bases.
Want proof?
The Steelers ranked No. 1 out of the NFL's 32 clubs in team merchandise sales at NFLShop.com this season, said Joanna Hunter of the NFL on Thursday.
+++++++++++++++

I suppose you're now going to complain that this article was written in January of 2011. :angel:

My sentiments exactly, redduck. Although, it would have been fun to see Brady and crew get crushed by Cam Newton and the Panthers in the Super Bowl, had they managed to slip by the Broncos.......

Nonsense. The last time the Patriots lost a game by more than 10 points was 32 games ago.......They don't get crushed very often unlike the Broncos who got crushed by the Seahawks in the SB two years ago or the Cardinals who did not show up for the game last Sunday. The Patriots are a tough team that always battles to the end.

Last edited:
Nonsense. The last time the Patriots lost a game by more than 10 points was 32 games.......They don't get crushed very often unlike the Broncos who got crushed by the Seahawks in the SB two years or the Cardinals who did not show up for the game last Sunday. The Patriots are a tough team that always battles to the end.

True. They could have been crushed on Sunday if Denver's offense was better. The Broncos' defense was dominant. I can count on both hands the number of times I've seen Brady hit and harassed that much. In most of those cases, the Pats have lost, though as you say, almost never by blowout.

It's even more than that. A baseball team has limited pitching resources over a season, so a manager has to use them wisely. This means you don't use your top reliever in a game that is essentially lost, but rather one of your mop up men to finish the game. But if you've got a big bet on your team, you might be less likely to give up on a game and use your most valuable resource even though the best strategy for the whole season would be to save him for when he'd be more likely to get or preserve a win.

This is exactly what I think. Even if you manage every game to win and never bet against your team, are you more likely to treat a mid-May game like a Game 7 if you had a big bet on that one game? Will you abuse the bullpen -- affecting their chances for the next couple of days as if there's no tomorrow -- in a desperate effort to win that one game when most managers would just write it off and prepare for tomorrow? This is why the "he never bet against the Reds" argument fails to sway me, though certainly I'd think it worse if he ever bet on the Reds to *lose*.

Not saying Rose ever did that, but the potential is there, the appearance of something slimy is there, and it stains the game. Now it's unfortunate that we can't separate Rose the *player* from Rose the *manager* when it comes to Cooperstown. Because as a player he absolutely *should* be there -- but he crapped the bed as a manager by violating baseball's most sacrosanct rule, and his whole body of work matters.

Last edited:

So...

+2

I watched the Pats/Bronco's game, the only complete game I have watched since last years Super Bowl. Not an NFL fan, but love college football. I watched mainly because I do like Peyton and I know his playing days are about over. Would love to see him go out with one more SB win, but Carolina looks like the best team based on the few highlights I have seen. Not sure I will even watch the SB as I can't stand Cam Newton.

Nice! Pick out a certain time frame in history to make your teams stats look best. How about we talk abut who has the most SuperBowls all time?

The Patriots have been dominant with Brady at QB. Other than that theyve been generally pretty bad over time. Lets see what they do when Brady is gone.

The Steelers have been in the thick of things almost every year, every decade, with multiple QBs. They have more Hall of Famers, more Pro-Bowlers, more playoff appearances, more playoff wins, more Super Bowl wins....ect. The Steelers are the best franchise of all time.

I watched mainly because I do like Peyton and I know his playing days are about over.

Yup, I believe that his last game is his next one... by the middle of the summer more info will come out about him taking HGH and he will not want that four game suspension. You know it is more likely than not he took HGH.

Yup, I believe that his last game is his next one... by the middle of the summer more info will come out about him taking HGH and he will not want that four game suspension. You know it is more likely than not he took HGH.

On what data would you make that assumption. IMHO it seems as logical as many of the financial talking heads statements. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Jan 08, 2011 Pittsburgh Steelers lead NFL in merchandise sales

..... I suppose you're now going to complain that this article was written in January of 2011. :angel:

Yes, you're right... I'd be embarrassed if I had to go back that far in time to prove a point.

On what data would you make that assumption. IMHO it seems as logical as many of the financial talking heads statements. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Since when do we need data to indict someone for cheating in the NFL? Do you mean the erroneous PSI data leaks to Mortensen and King who later apologized for running with incorrect information? Or the data by Exponent the hired "independent" firm to back the "independent" Wells' investigation? This data was refuted by all scientists from MIT, Carnegie Mellon, the University of Chicago, Rockefeller University and the University of Illinois among others.

The league will investigate the HGH issue only if it fits its agenda.

Last edited:
Nice! Pick out a certain time frame in history to make your teams stats look best. ....

I just picked the most recent 10 and 15 years... no cherry picking. I think any Pats fan would concede that they were pretty dismal before Belichick and Brady. Some success under Parcells but Carroll was a disaster.

As far as the Steelers being the best franchise of all time... you are delirious. They have been quite ordinary over the last 10-15 years.

Back
Top Bottom