Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodus View Post
Hi, I am PeteW's wife and reading the posts, I was wondering what the consensus is on the Rational Investing plan which is covered in Bob Clyatt's book, "Work Less, Live More"? It seems very straightforward and an "easier, softer way" to me since it is all laid out for you. Is anyone following his program and if so, satisfied with the results?

Welcome to the forum. There is no such thing as consensus on this forum.

We may mostly all agree that driving makes more sense than walking for a 100 mile trip, but will argue for pages on the relative merits of pickup trucks, motorcycles, Japanese cars, recumbent bicycles, the merits of subsidizing electric cars ...etc etc.

Investing strategy is the same way - you really have to find good enough and call it a day.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
At the risk of confusing the issue, do you have any idea what you'd like to do with your assets? Do you want to hold individual stocks, mutual funds (passive or active), ETFs? Do you have a sense of what kind of asset allocation you'd be comfortable with? IOW, your risk tolerance? You're safe with Vanguard or Fidelity, but they are not one in the same, they have slightly different strengths/characteristics based on my experience with both. A few days or weeks isn't going to make much difference, it might serve you well to do a little research/reading.

We've given a few suggestions for books, here's another online source Bogleheads FWIW...
+1

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Welcome to the forum. There is no such thing as consensus on this forum.

We may mostly all agree that driving makes more sense than walking for a 100 mile trip, but will argue for pages on the relative merits of pickup trucks, motorcycles, Japanese cars, recumbent bicycles, the merits of subsidizing electric cars ...etc etc.

Investing strategy is the same way - you really have to find good enough and call it a day.

I really wish I had said that. Take your best educated shot at a risk level you are happy with allocation wise and go and live your life and have some fun.

T-bird
Class of 2013
DW Class of 2012 (May, a done deal)
Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodus View Post
Hi, I am PeteW's wife and reading the posts, I was wondering what the consensus is on the Rational Investing plan which is covered in Bob Clyatt's book, "Work Less, Live More"? It seems very straightforward and an "easier, softer way" to me since it is all laid out for you. Is anyone following his program and if so, satisfied with the results?
I may get shot down, but I think the majority of members here subscribe to:
  • establish an asset allocation, stock:bond:cash according to age & risk tolerance (there are all sorts of online references & quizzes). 50%:50% 20% might include a lot of the members here.
  • hold few if any individual stocks or bonds, rather select a collection of low expense index mutual funds (Vanguard & Fidelity funds are popular). Typically 3 to 10 mutual funds, but could be more or less.
  • rebalance periodically (annually at a minimum) to maintain target asset allocation. Don't chase returns/attempt to 'time the market.'
Clyatt's philosophy is (generally) consistent with the above, but there are many others (see Lazy Portfolio link in earlier post). His method also incorporates aspects of generating income from the nest egg. Why not look at several before deciding?

There are certainly some more sophisticated/capable/aggressive investors here, but I believe they're in the minority. That takes more effort and knowledge than most people can or want to put into it, especially in the general population at large.

It's worth educating yourself to some extent vs just finding a method and blindly deploying it. You'll sleep better at night if you understand why you own each holding, and how the market naturally flucuates.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I may get shot down, but I think the majority of members here subscribe to:
  • establish an asset allocation, stock:bond:cash according to age & risk tolerance (there are all sorts of online references & quizzes). 50%:50% 20% might include a lot of the members here.
  • hold few if any individual stocks or bonds, rather select a collection of low expense index mutual funds (Vanguard & Fidelity funds are popular). Typically 3 to 10 mutual funds, but could be more or less.
  • rebalance periodically (annually at a minimum) to maintain target asset allocation. Don't chase returns/attempt to 'time the market.'
Clyatt's philosophy is (generally) consistent with the above, but there are many others (see Lazy Portfolio link in earlier post). His method also incorporates aspects of generating income from the nest egg. Why not look at several before deciding?

There are certainly some more sophisticated/capable/aggressive investors here, but I believe they're in the minority. That takes more effort and knowledge than most people can or want to put into it, especially in the general population at large.

It's worth educating yourself to some extent vs just finding a method and blindly deploying it. You'll sleep better at night if you understand why you own each holding, and how the market naturally flucuates.
+1. I bet if a poll was to survey the forum members, the majority of the folks here follow the three points mentioned.