Need recommendation on local Alaska beer

I ran across a Moose-named something or other Walnut ... Ale? in Valdez.

Of course, in Seward?, there's Anchor Steam something and a couple local brews with similar sounding names. Maybe it was Anchorage.

Man oh man, the details are fuzzy.

Try 'em all.

-CC

I was on tour one time and we had a leg on Alaska Airlines. They serve Alaskan Brewing Company beer free on the flight. Not too shabby, if I remember correctly.

Since I have lived in Alaska 30 years, and am a National Beer judge, I'll take a shot at this--it depends somewhat on where you are going.

Juneau--Alaskan Brewing. Go to the brewery (IIRC, M-th until 4:30 pm) for free samples. Best place to drink beer in Juneau is the Hangar

Anchorage--Midnight Sun brewing. Have many good flavours. Sockeye Red (in IPA) and CoHoHo (an Imperial IPA seasonal are my favourties). Also Kodiak Nut Brown Ale is good. Also if in Anchorage, visit Moose's Tooth and/or Bear Tooth for their IPA and other seasonals (they have a beer sometimes that's a Belgian-style stout aged in whiskey casks that's to die for--can't remember the name, Darth Vader or something?). Also check out the Snow Goose for good beer brewed on premises. Glacier Brewhouse also makes very tasty beers and food but is often crowded in the evenings.

While in Anchorage, go to Humpys which often has all of the above on tap.

Fairbanks--go out to Fox (about 6 miles north of town) to the Silver Gulch brewery there-- the brewer is very good (Dan from Ontario)--especially his lagers. It's the only largish brewery around Fairbanks. If you have dinner at the Pump House they usually serve his beers.

Haines--you probably won't go there but if you do, go to Haines brewing (at the Fairgrounds) and introduce yourself to Paul the owner. He'll give you samples.

Homer--go to Homer Brewing for excellent local beer.

If you are in or near Whitehorse, the Arctic Red and other product from their brewery (I think it's called Chilkoot) is quite tasty.

Hope this helps.

bosco said:
<snip>

Anchorage--Midnight Sun brewing. Have many good flavours. Sockeye Red (in IPA) and CoHoHo (an Imperial IPA seasonal are my favourties). Also Kodiak Nut Brown Ale is good. Also if in Anchorage, visit Moose's Tooth and/or Bear Tooth for their IPA and other seasonals (they have a beer sometimes that's a Belgian-style stout aged in whiskey casks that's to die for--can't remember the name, Darth Vader or something?). Also check out the Snow Goose for good beer brewed on premises. Glacier Brewhouse also makes very tasty beers and food but is often crowded in the evenings.

<snip>

Yep, Snow Goose, that's the place I stumbled into. I'll second the recommendation.

-CC

sgeeeee said:
Visit the Alaskan Brewery in Juneau. You get a tour of the facility and you can sample as much beer as you want. Try the Smoked Porter. Not everyone likes it, but it has a unique Salmon taste. :) :) :)

I really enjoyed the brewery tour. It seemed like a much smaller brewery than others that I had been to and the employees seemed to love being there.

They even had a brew made with Sitka spruce tips!

Back
Top Bottom