Need your input...expand business or stay small?

citrine

Full time employment: Posting here.
In the last couple of years, my business has really picked up and I am averaging 15-20 clients a week at my studio. At lot of it is through referral and many of them are weekly and bi-weekly clients. In my business 15-20 hrs is full time work, not counting the cleaning, admin, and laundry that I have to do!
I have a therapist who is pretty good and seems like a good partner to get into business with. I priced out an office in town for $350/month with utilities included. In another few months, I will have to start turning down clients since it is getting so big for me to handle....what a dilemma! ;)
I do so well because I am able to give everyone the time they need rather than the churn and burn style of Massage Envy or Hand and Stone. I don't want to lose that if I bring in other therapists and become bigger. I know I would be a demanding boss, because I love what I do, take a lot of classes, and am constantly working on becoming better and providing a certain level of professionalism and care for my clients. I would expect them to be the same way....and not a lot of therapists have that work ethic.
So...what are your thoughts?

Citrine, you know that if you become a massage tycoon we will have to fire you from the board, eh?

:LOL:

Just joking, but you seem so happy with the life you have now, why would you want to increase your physical and mental stress? I have always thought that doing massage therapy must be physically demanding. Doing it for 30-40 hours a week could be problematic if you don't feel well. And expanding your business can bring its own headaches.

So...what are your thoughts?

I get this pain right here when I.... :D

Seriously, it's your life & business; if you're the boss there's no reason not to do things your way.

Any reason you can't expand on a trial basis to see how things go (find the bumps in the road, so to speak) and take it from there, one step at a time? (Cuz those are my thoughts -- one step at a time to see how things go before making serious committments).

Tyro

Not knowing anything about that business, I would ask the question: would doubling the number clients double your happiness?

E/R scientists have reliably concluded that 10 times out of 9 doing more work is a bad thing.... ;o)

Back
Top Bottom