Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have been interested in zoning my house.... but not with different HVAC systems.... how is yours zoned

Did you retro fit or installed during construction?
The house we bought a year or so ago has 3 zones although it is only one HVAC system. My understanding is that dampers are used when there is a single system.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
The house we bought a year or so ago has 3 zones although it is only one HVAC system. My understanding is that dampers are used when there is a single system.

I have been looking in to doing this at our house....

Does it work well?

Do you have multiple return airs?

What is your smallest zone and if it is the only one running, does the air flow increase a lot?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have been looking in to doing this at our house....

Does it work well?

Do you have multiple return airs?

What is your smallest zone and if it is the only one running, does the air flow increase a lot?
It works reasonably well. The changes between zones need to be temperature changes. That is, it is fine for Zone 1 to be set on AC at 78 (my office for example) and for Zone 2 to be set at 74 (my daughter's room for example). What gets the system confused though would be for Zone 1 to be set on heat and Zone 2 to be set on AC.

The smallest zone is probably 3 rooms and I haven't noticed the air flow increasing a lot if it is the only one running.

When we bought this house, my son's room at one end of the house was on the same zone as my office (other end of the house). Because of the length involved his room was always hot. So the AC guy went in and changed the zoning so that my son's room was on the same zone as the kitchen and breakfast room which were next to his room. It works better for zones to be reasonably together. However, DH and my daughter both like it cold and I like it warmer. So his study and her room are on a zone together even though my study is closer to her room. My study is zoned with rooms that usually people aren't in all that often since I like it warmer.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

We did a recent house renovation and while upgraging the technology portion considered a Nest. Instead went with a Ecobee for a variety of reasons. One reason is the learning feature of the Nest seemed annoying and the footprint was a little too retro to fit in with the sleeker look we needed. Have been very happy with the Ecobee- wifi with free web interface, simple but elegant. We are away frequently and like the easy way to schedule vacations and check in on the status from afar.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A guest was very jazzed about his Nest - he and his wife have a getaway home and they enjoy being able to decide to go to that home, call and tell the Nest to start cooling or warming the house at an appropriate time so that it is perfect when they walk in the door. We do just fine with a stat that I set for a chosen temp and then turn on or off at will.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

This can be done with most smart thermostats these days. Nest is ok but there are better devices out there.
On a recent month long trip we enjoyed being able to breeze out the door knowing the hvac would go into vacation mode and return back to normal a few hours before we returned. Also nice to see usage stats and current house temp from my iPhone, as well as any alert I specify.

Cannot imagine going back to a 'dumb' controller.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't have a NEST, but I have a similar wi-fi enabled thermostat from Filtrete. I bought it from Home Depot for $99 about 18 months ago, just before the NEST was released on the market. I think the main difference between my stat and the NEST is that mine does not have the learning feature.
I see at least four advantages to these devices:
1. Energy Savings
Hard to quantify, but being retired we travel a lot and we set back the stat more frequently now because it is so easy to control from my smartphone.
2. Peace of mind
My wife and I spend much of the winter in Florida. I set the stat on our house in Ohio at 55 dgerees while we are gone. Each morning I check the house temperature on my smartphone. There is a real peace of mind knowing that the furnace has not failed in the middle of winter! Takes about 30 seconds to do this. Also, it will send a text message to me if the inside temperature falls outside the parameters I give it. I also set my stat about 5 degrees lower while we are gone because I don't need as much safety factor because of the alerts it sends me. More energy savings.
3. Comfort
When we are returning home after being gone I go on my phone and adjust the temperature back to the normal setting so the house is comfortable when we arrive. Prior to having this stat the house would be at 55 degrees in the winter and would take several hours to reach a comfortable temperature.
4. Features
I have compatable software that collects real time data from my stat every minute, and puts it on a spreadsheet. Maybe more interesting (to an engineer) than beneficial.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #28

Old thread I know, but DD bought me a Nest thermostat for Christmas. (Nice surprise as it was not on my radar).

I installed it this morning and already love it. Very easy to install, connect to the wifi, and use via a browser on my laptop or with the app on my iPad. As we travel for many weeks of the year it is going to be nice to be able to monitor it and adjust if needed. This time of year we are switching between a/c and heater quite often so it is nice to be able to set up the ranges for heating and cooling and then set Nest to auto switch between heating and cooling as needed.

It replaces a set-back thermostat and timer we've had for over 10 years so I doubt it can save much money but it is a cool toy to play with. (Annual utility bill is around $1,000 / year.)