Netflix movie or show suggestion

Nemo, maybe update your post with the title and why you recommend it? So folks don't have to log in to NF to find out.

Taken from the second link provided:

Storyline
During WWII, men and women working at Bletchley Park played a vital role, breaking the codes used by the German military. Nine years later, former codebreaker Susan is a housewife and mother, but she continues to recognize patterns that surround her in everyday life. When a series of women are brutally murdered around London, Susan sees a pattern emerging. However, when a police-search for what Susan believes to be an overlooked victim turns up nothing, she realizes she cannot solve this puzzle alone. Enlisting three former Bletchley Park colleagues: Millie, Lucy, and Jean; Susan knows they have little time to break this code before the killer strikes again.

DW is/was a software developer and she/we enjoy the ingenuity involved in 'putting the pieces together'.

Among the books I read last year was a novel called “You” which I quite liked. The filmed version recently appeared in Netflix’s list of new offerings so my curiosity was piqued. The author was able to walk a line between the story being a thriller and a very dark comedy. Happily the filmmakers were able to strike the same balance. The cast consisted of unknowns (at least to me) but they were all first-rate.

+1 for the new Netflix original series You. A very dark comedy / thriller. Nothing spectacular, but it's holding my interest so far (3 episodes in).

Not sure if this has been mentioned but....Peaky Blinders. I watched one episode long ago and decided to pass but came back and watched again and after 2-3 episodes was hooked. Great acting and great series - violent but I think the acting supersedes that. 4 seasons available and renewed for 5th season.

This was also a PBS series, so if you have PBS Passport, you may find it on the PBS site as well.

- Rita

The only thing we use our TV for is borrowed DVDs from the library.......sometimes we find good stuff, sometimes not.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but....Peaky Blinders. I watched one episode long ago and decided to pass but came back and watched again and after 2-3 episodes was hooked. Great acting and great series - violent but I think the acting supersedes that. 4 seasons available and renewed for 5th season.
Love Peaky Blinders! Cannot wait for season 5.
The foreign film, "When Heros Fly" great series, only one season. I was hooked immediately. I do prefer subtitles to verbal English translation. The acting is more authentic.

+1 for the new Netflix original series You. A very dark comedy / thriller. Nothing spectacular, but it's holding my interest so far (3 episodes in).

We are 5 episodes in and not sure we will continue. It seemed to have started off well, but it's just kinda dragging at this point. DW asked how many episodes were left and when I said "we are half way through", we both were somewhat disappointed at how slow it's going.

Still need to watch the second season of "Ozark", hopefully it's as good as season 1.

The only thing we use our TV for is borrowed DVDs from the library.......sometimes we find good stuff, sometimes not.

DVDs...I really forgot that people still watch these but just yesterday, we got one in the mail (like the old Netflix envelope but another company, I think?) that was meant for our neighbor. So, I guess DVDs by mail is still a thing?

Last edited:
Enjoying season 2 of Shetland with my DW and DD. Great series.

Prior to Shetland we watched Broadchurch. Another great UK series
Asher, if you liked Broadchurch, try Hinterland. I thought Hinterland was a slightly darker copy of Broadchurch, but it turns out Hinterland was made first. Both are great shows. JP

DW and I loved Peaky Blinders.

DVDs...I really forgot that people still watch these but just yesterday, we got one in the mail (like the old Netflix envelope but another company, I think?) that was meant for our neighbor. So, I guess DVDs by mail is still a thing?

We still maintain our DVD rental subscription from Netflix. It allows us to see recent movies once they've gone through their run at the theaters and PPV (maybe 3 months after release?). Yeah, it seems a bit archaic in a streaming world but it works for us.

Just finished watching The Last Laugh on Netflix. Chevy Chase and Richard Dreyfus. Really enjoyed it and it has a lot of things that we can all relate too here.

I’m watching Dark Earth Rising on Netflix. It’s very good.

While I know this is a Netflix thread and I am a Netflix user, I am currently watching "A Place to Call Home" but it is on Acorn. I signed up for Acorn just to watch this. 6 series with about 13 plus episodes per season. Once I'm finished, I will probably cancel Acorn if I can't ind anything else. British.

After finishing the 2 series last night, it's been well worth the $4.99 a month so far.

Not a thriller but set in the 1940's or so, family drama with the main character having lived in France with her husband where they were arrested by Nazi's for working in the resistance. Her life since. Don't want to say too much or give parts of the multiple story lines away.

Last edited:
Just finished American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace. Pretty good but as always in recreating true stories, lots of license with dialog and embellishing events to the point where I felt bad for the victims’ survivors having to relive this version of what they went through in the summer of 1997.

Just finished American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace. Pretty good but as always in recreating true stories, lots of license with dialog and embellishing events to the point where I felt bad for the victims’ survivors having to relive this version of what they went through in the summer of 1997.

I was excited to watch that, as I love most of Ryan Murphy's stuff and LOVED the OJ one he did. I found this disappointing though, as in too much Andrew Cunanan, and not enough Versace. But still stuck it through as it was well done.

Just also finished the Ted Bundy tapes which I found fascinating. Now I need something light and escapist, so I watching the Cat Show Circuit!

While I know this is a Netflix thread and I am a Netflix user, I am currently watching "A Place to Call Home" but it is on Acorn. I signed up for Acorn just to watch this. 6 series with about 13 plus episodes per season. Once I'm finished, I will probably cancel Acorn if I can't ind anything else. British.

After finishing the 2 series last night, it's been well worth the $4.99 a month so far.

Not a thriller but set in the 1940's or so, family drama with the main character having lived in France with her husband where they were arrested by Nazi's for working in the resistance. Her life since. Don't want to say too much or give parts of the multiple story lines away.
Are you subscribing though Amazon?

Excellent show. Highly recommended. Easy to start/stop Acorn on Amazon.

Not netflix, (though it is), I watched Wuthering Heights on TCM. It was the 1939 version... so I looked it up, and found out that... honest... there are 18 different movie versions of Wuthering Heights beginning in 1920. IMDB doesn't even show that many versions.. . had to go to google to find them all.
Four are in foreign languages but the rest (I think) are in english.

Even more here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptations_of_Wuthering_Heights

So, today... I'm watching "True Grit" the 2010 version. The original was 1969.. (John Wayne). Can't wait to start watching "Night of the Living Dead".

Looks like what goes around, comes around. Ummm, how many times?

Last edited:
Just also finished the Ted Bundy tapes which I found fascinating. Now I need something light and escapist, so I watching the Cat Show Circuit!
I just finished the 3rd episode. I was in high school when all that happened and didn't pay much attention at the time. Talk about shocking and creepy. He sounds so normal and intelligent.

Back
Top Bottom