New dishwasher recommendation?

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
Spouse and I have been lucky enough to own one of Maytag's coveted "fireball" models as described on their recall website: Maytag® and Jenn-Air® brand dishwashers.

It just celebrated its 7th birthday of rinse-aid-free use so we could probably continue to use it indefinitely, but inevitably some uninformed user would light its fire (so to speak) and it's probably smart to get it taken care of despite the hassle factor. Here are our options:
- Repair: 'If you choose the Free-In Home Repair option, a service call will be required to return your dishwasher to safe operating condition. Once service is scheduled, you will receive a service kit in the mail which will contain replacement wiring and an interior door. Do not open the kit or try to install the parts.'
(This option has the added attraction of requiring the coordination of both a service call AND a delivery!)
or
- $75 back on a new dishwasher: 'If you choose this option you will receive a voucher which may be redeemed for $75.00 cash back following the purchase of a new Maytag brand, Jenn-Air brand, Whirlpool brand or KitchenAid brand dishwasher. The voucher will arrive within 7 business days. To receive your reimbursement, you must return the completed voucher, the model and serial number of your new dishwasher, your sales receipt, and the original signed 'Proof of Destruction Affirmation.'

Given the dishwasher's age we're leaning toward the "new" option. We have zero brand loyalty and we're mainly interested in (1) quiet and (2) Energy Star certification. Our hot water is free (solar water heater) so we don't care whether or not the dishwasher has its own water heater-- ours is regularly 130 degrees or hotter.

Of course Dave Barry would also have a lot of fun with the "Proof of Destruction Affirmation", but it sounds like Maytag will eventually make that happen whether or not we continue to use its equipment.

Spouse has informed me that we want a black door.

Anyone have a favorite Maytag, Jenn-Air, Whirlpool, or KitchenAid model? Anything about any of these brands that's particularly annoyed you in the last couple years?

No, I don't have any of those models, but just as an aside, I have this comment - - -

My house came with a Kenmore "Ultra Wash II" dishwasher installed. It is fabulous, washes the dishes amazingly well, and is not very noisy. I was thrilled! But I was surprised to discover that Consumer Reports didn't think it was especially wonderful. How could that be?

My thinking is that dishwashers in general have improved SO much in recent years that most newer dishwashers are probably tremendously improved over the 30-year-old models. That is probably why it seems so terrific to me. Otherwise, I am at a loss to explain it.

By the way, it has a black door and it is at least 5 years old since that is when I bought my house. :)

OK, to get more precisely back on topic, does anybody here have a favorite Maytag, Jenn-Air, Whirlpool, or KitchenAid model? Anything about any of these brands that's particularly annoyed you in the last couple years?

Last edited:
I don't have any suggestions, except to logon to the Consumer's Report website and see what they recommend. However, I do have an observation about the current generation of dishwashers: they don't dry plastic. The rationale given to me by a long-time repair person is that the new energy saving design is to use the heat retained by china and cutlery for drying. Plastic doesn't hold heat. Essentially, you get a no(or next to nothing)-heat dry.

Hey, I mastered that technique when the dishwasher was kid duty (mine). I just abandoned the dishes in the drying rack until I could return them to the cupboard with a quick swipe of the dish towel. Very energy efficient.

Quiet-wise they have gotten much better. No harm in sticking more insulation around the cabinet before you install the new one for good measure. Daughter spec'd a GE PDW 988OLSS 47db with sound deading package for her new digs. "SS" indicates stainless steel.

'Spouse has informed me that we want a black door.'

Ahh, now we all know that in 7 years, white or stainless doors will be the 'in' thing.

We got a Sears DW, CR rated them highly for the price, and we are happy. I don't know who actually makes them though.

-ERD50

I bought a Kitchen Aid 31 years ago and it worked great for 26 years. Only one repair in all that time. We bought a new Kitchen Aid 5 years ago and it was terrible, just never cleaned the way the old one did.

We sold our house and when we moved into our new house there was a Kenmore already in place. It works great and we have no problems at all.

We replaced the 20 year old Whirlpool dishwasher with another Whirlpool about two and a half years ago. It's an Energy Star Quiet Partner II.

Seems like it cost around $400. No problems so far though I have to admit I do not use the dry cycle. I go for air drying.

I have great pride in having made a box full of water catch fire once.

Whirlpool or the whirlpool made kenmore. Bosch is nice, but expensive.

Go to the sears web site and search for item number DU1061XTSB. Thats pretty much what we put in my old house and we liked it. Its a model down from what I put in our new house. Quiet, cost about 20c a load with all the buttons pushed on, about 17c with minimal cycle time and no heated dry.

Got a costco membership? They sell whirlpool for a good price, but check the delivery dates. Last time I looked at them there was a 3 week delivery time quoted.

I have a two year old Maytag tall tub . I love the tall tub design .It holds so many more dishes and odd shaped platters .The Maytag is fine .It does a good job cleaning and it is quiet .The cycle seems to be longer than any other dishwasher I've had . My last dishwasher was a whirpool which I lked a lot .

We replaced the 20 year old Whirlpool dishwasher with another Whirlpool about two and a half years ago. It's an Energy Star Quiet Partner II.

Seems like it cost around $400. No problems so far though I have to admit I do not use the dry cycle. I go for air drying.

I had an Energy Star Quiet Partner II installed 7.5 years ago. No problems.

We have almost 7 years on a Frigidaire Gallery model. Main irritant on that one is that the door has a flush handle release - makes it difficult to open the door - nothing to really grasp to pull the door open, tricky if you have wet paws.

We have a Maytag - three levels each with their own wash arm. Total trouble. We have replaced both the wash and drain motors, some of the cleaning arms (all under warranty) and it still doesn't clean well. Leaves grit in the glasses on the top level.

Nords, let me know what you decide, DH and I are ready to give up. We are tired of taking leave to meet the repairman, listening to my kids pull glass after glass out of the cabinet saying "yuck!," "this is dirty" "next" for the ones we missed rewashing before putting them away.

In addition to Maytag's $75 rebate, HECO will pay us another $50 for anything off EnergyStar.gov.

I have this KitchenAid in stainless steel (but here's a link to the black version)
KUDT03FTBL KitchenAid Architect II Built-In Dishwasher Fully Integrated Console - Black
It is very quiet (50 decibels); you don't even hear it running, has Energy Star rating, is high capacity and does an excellent job of cleaning even baked on stuff. I've had it for two years and am very pleased with it.
We did a little window-shopping today and they all look good, but I really like this model. All those water jets would probably peel the cover off a golfball.

Of course Lowes needs 4-6 weeks from the Mainland to get the model with a black door. So next we'll try Home Depot, and I'm sure someone on Craigslist will be selling a HD gift card at less than face value.

We have a middle line kenmore (whirlpool). So far so good.

We just got our first dishwasher ever in 2006. It is an Asko and I like it (I am the designated scullery maid), because it is quiet, energy efficient and cleans the dishes really well. We got a special door to match the kitchen cabinetry. Based on my investigations when we were looking, it was the best constructed of the lot.

This is the model D3251FI & D3251XLFI ASKO Dishwashers

Last edited:
We did a little window-shopping today and they all look good, but I really like this model. All those water jets would probably peel the cover off a golfball.

Don't know about golf balls, but I did put a jelly jar with the label on it thru one of the cycles and when I took the jar out, the label was gone....not merely off the glass, I'm talking chewed up, spit out and washed away!

We went with the quietest model we could find which at the time was a KitchenAid. After enduring a builder grade (sounded like a 747) model. We sprung for the extra quiet version and are glad we did.

I was holding my breath hoping that our Maytag dishwasher was one of the ones being recalled. Unfortunately, it isn't. I would not buy another Maytag. Ours is extremely loud and does not always clean as well as I think that it should. My sister has a Bosch and I was very impressed by it. I could not believe that it was running, since it was so quiet. They are expensive though. I will be interested to hear what you buy and how you like it also.

We got a Sears DW, CR rated them highly for the price, and we are happy. I don't know who actually makes them though.

-ERD50

Same here. A Sears dishwasher with a "665" prefix before the decimal point in the model number was made by Whirlpool.

Sometime I think I need to take the door apart on ours, the rinse dispenser dispensing is getting iffy. Probably getting gunked up with rinse aid. Had this problem with other dishwashers, with enough time.

Well, it's in. We bought the KitchenAid KUDK03IT (thanks, Achiever!).

I could see some impressive design changes over the last seven years (or the prompt-jump quality upgrade), not the least of which was rear wheels instead of furniture-glide feet. They were adjustable to the counter height and they made it a lot easier to get it into the hole. The lower sprayer has four arms, not two, and the upper rack has its own spray arm fed by a hose that goes up the rear wall (instead of taking up space in the lower rack) to spline into the top rack. It's the first dishwasher we've ever had with a stainless-steel cabinet interior. The racks are not only gray (instead of dirt-revealing white) but some of the ends are capped to protect them from chipping. (I don't think I'll be buying appliance paint!) The motor is actually sound-mounted and has flex couplings to the water pipes, so it more or less floats without transmitting its noise & vibration to the rest of the dishwasher. The top rack even has little clips to hold the mixing cups and light items that are always flying around in the spray.

Installation hasn't improved, unless you're old enough to remember the "air gap" requirement. Nowadays you can just put an extra loop in the drain hose and tie-wrap it high under the counter. Tightening the nut on the water fitting still took about 40 sets, one flat at a time.

It seems to re-use a lot of its water-- efficient there as well as with electricity (even though our hot water is free). There's a lot less discharge into the sink/disposal drain. The EnergyStar criteria was raised for dishwashers this year but the total number of cycles was dropped by 18%, so this one is rated at 334 KWHr/year based on 215 loads/year (although we barely run two a week). Our kid tells me that the racks have more available space and pack better so we'll actually run fewer loads than before.

Speaking as an acoustic-sensor professional: damn this thing is quiet. You can barely hear it across the kitchen and not at all from another room. Even standing around in the kitchen it's subliminal.

One convenience I miss is the ability to tell where the dishwasher is in its cycle. It doesn't have a rotating timer dial-- just indicator LEDs. Our old dishwasher used to count down the minutes, but I'll get over that in a couple weeks. I used to be able to tell how the old dishwasher was doing by the noises it made, but now I can't even tell that so I'll just forget about it until the next time I walk through the kitchen. It'd be nice to have a transparent door, too, but that novelty would probably wear off quickly.

Pricing was like negotiating in a Moroccan bazaar. Lowes started out at $679 (thanks to shipping fuel surcharges) but we bought a $500 gift card for $450 off Craigslist. Then we went back a week later for a 10% Veteran's Day discount and another 10% appliance-sale discount so we picked it up at $550. Maytag will send us $75 compensation for the "fireball recall" and HECO will rebate us $50 for the EnergyStar rating. So we netted out at $375, and I'm pretty sure we'll see this on the electric bill (at 22 cents/KWHr). (I'll have to check federal/state tax regs to see if there are any EnergyStar appliance credits.) It's not as good as a Craigslist $50 kitchen remodel but I don't think I'll have to buy another one for a while.

Our energy efficiency is approaching diminishing returns. Solar water made the biggest impact and the front-loading washing machine was a close second. (It spins the clothes so hard that they come out almost dry, and our dryer use is way down.) Fridgezilla uses about 80% as much energy as its predecessor but it's 25 cu ft, so our next model (in a decade or so) will be about 20 cu ft and probably use about 75% as much energy. Our convection microwave probably uses half the energy of our traditional 18-year-old electric oven, and we only use the big oven for high-volume production like cookies & turkeys. We bought an EnergyStar ceiling fan a couple months ago and we might see that in the electric bill, but the weather was already turning cooler so we might have to wait until next summer to see the numbers in the spreadsheet. We could upgrade a couple of upstairs ceiling fans to EnergyStar, but at this point the only remaining significant lifestyle change we could make would be to unplug the clothes dryer or replace view windows with louver models. Spouse has informed me the first is not happening and she's ready to expedite the second...

This is why I like this place.

Fellow engineer type nerds, excited about living well with less.

Something to be careful of

If you have a standard formica countertop be very careful about selecting a model which does not vent upwards toward the countertop. The steam will cause the particle board to swell and will eventually ruin the countertop unless measures are taken to prevent the moisture from collecting. We have a Whirlpool Quiet Partner III which has this problem. Whirlpool's solution is to put a metallic tape on the effected portion of the countertop edge. This will not work because unless it is exposed it will not seal the area where the formica and particle board are joined. We have to put a piece of tin foil between the top of the DW door and countertop each time we use it. PITA

Glad to be of service! Hope your new dishwasher serves you as well for many years. I continue to be amazed at how efficient and quiet this KitchenAid is...my last dishwasher was so noisy that I couldn't talk on the kitchen phone when it was running! Now, I sometimes feel the door of the machine to find out if it's still running.

And you got it at a very good price too. Enjoy...

If you have a standard formica countertop be very careful about selecting a model which does not vent upwards toward the countertop. The steam will cause the particle board to swell and will eventually ruin the countertop unless measures are taken to prevent the moisture from collecting. We have a Whirlpool Quiet Partner III which has this problem. Whirlpool's solution is to put a metallic tape on the effected portion of the countertop edge. This will not work because unless it is exposed it will not seal the area where the formica and particle board are joined. We have to put a piece of tin foil between the top of the DW door and countertop each time we use it. PITA
Corian on top of heavy plywood. We got a good deal from a guy who claims it fell off the truck.

We looked at the Whirlpools (although we didn't realize this problem) and were struck by how difficult it was to find any quantitative comparison (dBa) among their Quiet Partner models. They're all 3-6 dB noiser than the KitchenAid we decided on, and Whirlpool lacks a few of the other features that you get for the KitchenAid bucks. We really had to dig around for the details but we decided that EnergyStar, noise, and stainless-steel interior were our top three-- in that order.

Now I understand why KitchenAid's installation manual had the same metal-tape recommendation for some of their models. I'll keep any eye on the counter area but the fiberboard of the surrounding cabinets is all sealed away from the front of the dishwasher behind acoustic baffles & insulation. (I added the old dishwasher's acoustic insulation to the new and stuffed the whole mess into the hole.) The vent in the top left-hand side of the door shuts during operation and vents away from the counter at the end of the cycle.

But they all vent upward when the door is opened, right?

I'm just glad we got the EnergyStar we wanted before spouse found any of those Fisher-Paykal cabinet-drawer models on Craigslist...

Back
Top Bottom