New NFL season

Thats okay. I'm sure Tim Rattay will save the day ::)

Hopefully they figure something out. Watching the preseason games I wasnt impressed with Cassel. Guittierez (the guy they cut) looked better. The rookie O'Connell is supposed to be a pretty good qb and looked good in the preseason, but he was facing future members of the waiver wire, scrubeenies and late 3rd stringers.

Thats okay. I'm sure Tim Rattay will save the day ::)

Hopefully they figure something out. Watching the preseason games I wasnt impressed with Cassel. Guittierez (the guy they cut) looked better. The rookie O'Connell is supposed to be a pretty good qb and looked good in the preseason, but he was facing future members of the waiver wire, scrubeenies and late 3rd stringers.

I would imagine Guittierez or somebody will be signed shortly.

Favre got lucky yesterday.........:)

Oh man, I hate the jets. Hate em, hate em, hate em!

Ya know what? I think Pep is a pretty good QB now that he's healthy. I liked what I saw last year when he played for the raiders. He might want to be throwing to Moss again too!

The pats have chris simms and tim rattay coming in. They sort of have to go with Cassel for at least a couple of weeks...

I guess the good news is that guys like Welker and Moss may make an ordinary QB look quite decent. And as I mentioned a week or two ago, they do have a heck of a stable of running backs. Just not a very good run blocking offensive line.

But hey, pick up a couple of road-grader linemen, add a couple more 280lb tight ends, and put in a 3 tight end set and run it.

Ya Peyton looked rusty at times. But ya Orton looked damn good. Going to be an interesting season.

Funny thing I noticed while I was watching the first few games of the season...watching football is just secretly meditation. You have whole big swaths of stuff where really nothing is going on and you get to think about all sorts of things. Usually the stuff I watch on tv is really engaging or I quit watching it.

Football though, lots of time for meditative consideration intermixed with plenty of sudden, short lived excitement.

I had another funny thought. Harley mentioned fantasy football. I used to be big into it before Gabe was born. It really does make the sport a lot more interesting but it can be really time consuming. I knew every player, their backup, shuffled my lineups and scanned the waiver wires. Games I normally wouldnt give a hoot about became intensely interesting. I was probably the most active manager in every league I was in and always won the league championship. So I guess really active management CAN be successful, but holy cow is it a lot of work.

In the meanwhile, almost every league I was in had some bozo who auto-drafted and then never changed their lineup. They played guys who werent playing or starting, guys who got injured, etc. Invariably, this 'zombie' team would end up doing just fine and end up either in the playoffs or narrowly missing.

The 'autodraft' just picks the best available player for you in each round, as predetermined by a group of expert rankings. So...this zombie behavior sort of mimicked indexing. And it showed that a middling amount of fiddling with your team without really getting into it was no better than doing nothing at all.

One other thing I figured out that consistent players were way better than the guys who had the best stats. I always took the QB that threw for 200 yards and 1-2 touchdowns every week rather than the guy that'd throw for 400 and 4 one week and 150 and four interceptions the next. Blowing a guy out by 40 points one week and then losing by 5 the next due to the inconsistency was a lot lousier than winning by 8-10 every week.

Oh, and listening to the 'expert' fantasty football guys on tv or online was the kiss of death. A bunch of times some guy made a compelling argument that made me switch a player in or out of my lineup and invariably that'd be a huge mistake.

A lot of interesting lessons in all of that...

But the big difference between managing an active investment fund and managing a fantasy football team is that if I don't do well in fantasy I don't get any money. >:D

AS much as I love football. I never have done fantasy football. I fail :(

Funny thing I noticed while I was watching the first few games of the season...watching football is just secretly meditation. You have whole big swaths of stuff where really nothing is going on and you get to think about all sorts of things. Usually the stuff I watch on tv is really engaging or I quit watching it.

Football though, lots of time for meditative consideration intermixed with plenty of sudden, short lived excitement.
Twelve (12) minutes of action. That's it. I plop down to watch an NFL game and see 12 minutes of action in 3 hours. The average play takes 6 seconds. The remaining 2 hours and 48 minutes are activities like huddles, replays and of course, commercials. I didn't originate this analysis, I got it from James Michener in a book entitled "Sports in America." I guess he anticipated the ESPN highlight reel which shows all that really counts: the touchdowns, homeruns, goals, etc.

It doesn't matter. I'm still watching. Also, I'm predicting the Cowboys win it all, although last year they had home field advantage, then collapsed.

Thats the nice part about a tivo/dvr type device. As soon as the play is over you can hit the 30-second skip button and the next play is about to start. When you get to a timeout or commercial, keep hitting it until you see a football about to be snapped.

The "NFL Replay"s during the week are also the bomb. They cut out everything except the plays and even snip some of those if nothing interesting happens. You can watch a whole game in under an hour without needing the remote. They're on the NFL network channel and I think you can watch them on the nfl network web site.

Interesting season so far. Loved the beatdown the Steelers gave the Pats :) Lots of good football left to be played this year.

Bills, Giants or Jets?
Jets, Bills or Giants?
Giants, Jets, or Bills?

decisions decisions...tick tock tick tock tick tock...
I KNOW!
ALL of them in spandex. >:D

oh, BTW, all you visiting teams? Beware the 12th Man in Buffalo. nyah ha ha

I need to stop talking up the Saint's and Pat's - I'm giving them the kiss of death.

Maybe next year. Never should have cheered for Missouri neither. Rats!

heh heh heh - now for market timing - ? - :rolleyes: - :D.

I need to stop talking up the Saint's and Pat's - I'm giving them the kiss of death.

Maybe next year. Never should have cheered for Missouri neither. Rats!

heh heh heh - now for market timing - ? - :rolleyes: - :D.

Saints need some defense! their O is something pretty good. I was rooting for em.

Go Texans...and take the Astros with you!!

Actually, I'm a fan of the Cowboys and the Saints.

Back
Top Bottom