Niagara Falls Suggestions....

OAG

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anticipate going to Niagara Falls in the next couple of weeks for a plain vacation, tourist, visit. Any suggestions where a couple of old folks would like staying... and things to see. Cost is not a factor but really would like to get good "bang for the buck". Will be driving up ther from central Ohio. Is this a good time to go, or is there a better time. Thanks.

Old Army Guy said:
Cost is not a factor but really would like to get good "bang for the buck".
For that thrilling sea-going experience, you just can't pass up the "Maid of the Mist" cruises through the falls.

From the lower side, that is-- and in a boat, not a barrel...

When I went there, there was a hotel facing the falls (Marriott I think), so I would recommend that one for a nice view (but ask for a room that faces the falls).

I also enjoyed driving to the surrounding wineries if you enjoy wine. I visited the Pillitteri winemaking company and enjoyed some of the ice wine they make there.

Other things to do include...
Boat ride next to the falls on Maid of the Mist (you can get ponchos there)
Journey Behind the Falls (you will need ponchos for this as well, so save them)
White Water Walk
The Floral Clock (I think we took a short shuttle bus ride for this)

And it was fun going up the outside elevator at the Skylon Tower and enjoying a nice dinner as the tower rotates 360 degrees.

Take the scenic drive down the river to Lake Ontario. Stay at least on night at Niagara-on-the-lake. (possible to drive back - only an hour)
Pillar and Post, Prince of Wales, Queen's Landing

or for even more charm, try one of the B&Bs. I have stayed at each of the above 3 hotels. They are a bit pricey. There are some B&Bs right overlooking the park by the water but book ahead. They are usually full.

We went there last June for our honeymoon. You can do the whole "Niagra Falls" thing in one day. We stayed on the Canadian side and I think the suggestion about Mariott is correct.

I didn't really like it, the whole are was way too commercial for me.

Lena

Don't forget to make a visit to the Susquhana Hat Company. Bud and Lou loved it.

Lena said:
I didn't really like it, the whole are was way too commercial for me.

Lena
Thanks for being polite. Tacky is how I describe the towns themselves. That is why NOTL is always a nice way to finish up...

My advice: stay in Toronto and visit the falls for the day. Then visit Toronto for the rest of the week ;)

Back
Top Bottom