Nice try Citicards

tuixiu

Full time employment: Posting here.
So I go online to pay wife's Citibank credit card bill at end of May, and they have this message that due to a merchant data security drama blah blah that account is closed, a new card will be coming when that arrives activate it and the old one will then close.

I can't get to the account online anymore, can't view recent activity, can't make a payment, nothing. Fine, no worries we can still use it until shiny new one arrives.

Card arrives, I go online to take care of bill, and what do we have:
1. Finance charges of $35. I always pay full balance, but couldn't.
2. Late payment fee of $40. Min payment should have been zero anyway.
3. The payment I'd made end of April (to post mid-May) got posted on June 15th to the new account, hence items #1 and #2.

So they held my a payment limbo for a month until new card arrives and gets activated, then charge me late fees and interest.

A phone call got charges removed, by why should a phone call be required to get it fixed up? Bastards.

End Rant.

I've been a citi customer for a decade. Although I dispise the fact that they are wards of the state, I have always found them honest.

Any company that big will make some mistakes. The important thing is that they reversed the charges.

I'm sure there are some happy Citibank customers but I'm not one and I've met plenty of people with complaints. Citi tried to charge me some little late fees on my J.Jill account two months in a row even though I had paid my very small balance on time. I closed the account. I have no patience for that sort of sh*t.

The attitude of the people in customer service means a lot to me when I have a situation like this. If their approach was that a mistake was made and it was corrected relatively easily (although you can't argue about the hassle to have to call in the first place), then sounds like all is well. If they tried to tell you the charges made sense or some other nonsense and they were doing you a favor to remove them, different story and I'd be a former customer.

Back
Top Bottom