No-Diet, Diet

I count calories and it works. Yes, I agree that restrictive programs would be doomed to fail if you later quit. That's why i've conceeded that I will be doing it for the rest of my life. You have to do what works for you, and counting calories/tracking weight works for me. The 15 minutes a day or so it takes me to track calories is easily paid for by my health and the way I feel every minute.

If i just ate when i'm hungry, well.... i'm hungry all the time!

I like the philosophy but I don't think it would work for most people. I don't track calories but I do track my weight daily. If it goes above a certain point for longer than a week then I increase my activity level and shift my eating a little until its back in the normal range (more chicken breast, less pizza, no dessert). Otherwise I basically eat what I want, but in a mindful way. But then, I don't keep tons of junk food on hand either - that just sounds way too temping.

FlowGirl said:
But then, I don't keep tons of junk food on hand either - that just sounds way too temping.   

I know women who can eat half a cheesecake, or a quart of ice cream if an emotional stress coincides with a hormonal rough spot. Seems to me that this "No Diet Diet" assumes that people eat junk food because they are hungry. I imagine that is pretty rare.

Ha

HaHa said:
I know women who can eat half a cheesecake, or a quart of ice cream if an emotional stress coincides with a hormonal rough spot. Seems to me that this "No Diet Diet" assumes that people eat junk food because they are hungry. I imagine that is pretty rare.

Ha

Yeah, that would be me - although I tend to crave salty instead of sweet. I figure if I go overboard on air popped popcorn or baby carrot sticks with non-fat ranch dip then at least the consquences aren't so bad. Potato chips are only for special occasions and only in small quantities.

My father is probably a borderline compulsive eater who eats mostly out of boredom. If you can keep his mind busy doing something he's fine, but if he's stuck at home then he's coming out of the kitchen every 30 mintues with food in his hand. The only reason he's not obese is that he doesn't keep much food in the house - especially junk food.

Back
Top Bottom