Okay - Who Has a Marriage Bio???

Red Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, I was putzing in the garage as DW pulled into the driveway. I waved for her to stop instead of pulling into the garage. She readily complied. I walked over and explained that I was tidying up after having the water neater replaced yesterday.

So she cuts off he car and I return to the tasks at hand... Then, I hear a "ker-plunk." I pay no mind, and DW is off to the door and inside.

I glance to the driveway and there's an empty water bottle about 5 feet from her chariot. The implied task here is for me to retrieve it and place it in the recycle bin (the one she walked within a few feet of as she went in the house).

Interesting side-bar. DW is fastidious in housekeeping. Her chariot? Untidy and cluttered (less one water bottle for the moment). Garden tools and supplies also park where last used. I can put them away, mow around them, or perhaps paint them where they lie. But lie they shall.

I am not upset, it was just an epiphany. I'm sure DW could author a compendium (in about 5 nanoseconds) of my deflected tasks that she performs on my behalf.

Anyhoo, any takers on a bio (or job description) for your situation? Litter control and outdoor tidiness would be annotated on my domestic documents. Not sure how my annual reviews would stack up... :confused:

My job description is all the fun stuff that only needs doing once in a while and DW's job description is all the drudgery tasks that need done every day. Or so I'm told.

Like Red Badger's better half, my DW is fastidious about housekeeping. She gets downright grouchy if things are the least untidy. But put the scissors away? Nope. Not gonna happen in this lifetime. There they will sit on the kitchen counter until the devil is buying snowblowers unless I put them away first.

So, let me get this straight. You guys are griping about your better halves on a public forum? And then inviting the rest of us to join you?

No way, man. I have nothing to complain about. Right dear?

Last edited:
DW is fastidious in housekeeping. Her chariot? Untidy and cluttered (less one water bottle for the moment).

A woman's car is like a giant purse. Don't open the center console without hazmat protection.

Also, you are insane for trying to get away with this thread.

A woman's car is like a giant purse. Don't open the center console without hazmat protection.

True, my DW's center console and glove box in her SUV are both stuffed to the gills with everything from tissues to granola bars. Oh, the door drink holders are loaded up too. I love it!:D

"I do what ever the voices in my wifes head tell me to do"

Happy wife happy life even though she is officially my DGF.

My marriage bio is all of two words.

"Yes, dear."

I was just listening the other day to the NYC classical music station (WQXR)'s regular feature "Opera in 3 Minutes" wherein one of the hosts summarizes the upcoming Saturday Met Opera in 3 minutes. It's always humorous. He was summarizing the plot of Wagner's "Die Walkure." Odin, the Allfather, King of the Gods, was listening to a lecture by his wife Freya, Guardian of Marriage, on the breaking of marriage vows by some other (rather sympathetic) characters. She demands a punishment. This is all sung out in a long duet, which the host summarized as "Yes, dear."

I never married, so I've always had rather expansionist dreams of what marriage brought. The Handyman Husband!!! Another theatrisized portrayal that caught my eye was "Tarzan and His Mate," where Jane offered casually to her friends, "I designed my dream house and Tarzan built it." That stayed with me. Odin, king of the gods; Tarzan, king of the jungle ... and they are building to wifely specifications!

My married female friends, well, they have different stories, but it MUST be true!!

Hmm. In retirement, I only do what I want to, and only when I want to do it.

How could that be? Surely it has nothing to do with being unmarried at present. :D

I am only doing this because my SO does not read this thread .Why do we have to write to do lists no one writes me a list do laundry , cook dinner , food shop ?

DH handles car maintenance, trips to the dump, and anything on the roof. I handle litter boxes, vet visits, grocery shopping, and trip planning.
Everything else is split pretty evenly.

Hmm. In retirement, I only do what I want to, and only when I want to do it.

How could that be? Surely it has nothing to do with being unmarried at present. :D

I wonder if marriage is easier when the couple is young and "growing together" or older and presumably more self-aware.

We do what has to be done - sometime after it needs to be done.

So, let me get this straight. You guys are griping about your better halves on a public forum? And then inviting the rest of us to join you?

No way, man. I have nothing to complain about. Right dear?

+1 Google has a long memory so... here goes:

My DH is pretty awesome. He thinks I am as well. The devils in the details and we work those out as best we can. We're both pretty flexible.

Except:

If you borrow my car and change the seat position w/o returning it to the EXACT SAME POSITION you found it in BEFORE vacating it - even if you were thoughtful and taking the car to be serviced and then stopped to wash, vacuum, fill it with fuel and change the wiper blades I may seriously consider employing Walt's wifes scissors (Post 4) in an unladylike manor.

But we are pretty easy going :flowers:

I bought a t-shirt with that quote written on it and then she got mad at me for wearing it outside.:confused:

About 20 years ago in Northern Ontario...saw a woman wearing a sweatshirt with a diagonal yellow stripe across the front - the wording on the stripe read "Police Wife - Do Not Cross".

I was just listening the other day to the NYC classical music station (WQXR)'s regular feature "Opera in 3 Minutes" wherein one of the hosts summarizes the upcoming Saturday Met Opera in 3 minutes. It's always humorous. He was summarizing the plot of Wagner's "Die Walkure." Odin, the Allfather, King of the Gods, was listening to a lecture by his wife Freya, Guardian of Marriage, on the breaking of marriage vows by some other (rather sympathetic) characters. She demands a punishment. This is all sung out in a long duet, which the host summarized as "Yes, dear."

When I hear Wagner, I think of "kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit...." :)

Seriously, though, it's always in flux. For most of our marriage I was w*rking full time and getting burned out and stressed out and she wasn't. At that time she did most of the housework and chores. Yeah, I still did the yardwork and the grilling and fixing broken stuff (when I could, but I'm not real handy). But she did most of the rest.

But now I'm not w*rking, and really might not be much ever again, but we'll see. She is w*rking and, if she sticks it out to her earliest retirement age, still needs a little more than 9 years on the j*b. So that means she is mostly doing what she doesn't trust me with (the laundry) and I'm doing most of the rest.

In reality it's fun to joke. But in the nearly 27 years we've been together, there have been times when it feels like the effort was 80/20 and times it's felt like it was 20/80. There have been times when we have seemingly carried each other on our backs to get through things. But we're fortunate in that at the end of the day, we've never needed to feel the need to keep score because we both do for each other what we need to do when it needs to be done. And that makes me a very lucky man -- and being married to my best friend for all this time is a big bonus. :smitten:

Except:

If you borrow my car and change the seat position w/o returning it to the EXACT SAME POSITION you found it in BEFORE vacating it - even if you were thoughtful and taking the car to be serviced and then stopped to wash, vacuum, fill it with fuel and change the wiper blades I may seriously consider employing Walt's wifes scissors (Post 4) in an unladylike manor.

IMO, it's much easier for me to put my seat back in the position I want it than to expect someone else to do it. Not to mention that the mirrors will also need adjusting. Speaking as one who has currently switched vehicles to teach our son to drive so he can learn on the older car that may be handed off to him. DH is doing the teaching duty on the weekends, so that seat is being adjusted for 3 drivers, sometimes all in one day.

I do all the travel research and planning. That in in itself can be a big job for us since we travel frequently.

I handle all finances. Everything. Including what is in her name. Including the taxes, which I just completed and filed.

I do all the physical repairs, painting. And deal with all automobile related issues.

I buy all the red wine...and I drink it all.

I do the outdoor grilling but never the salads or veg (unless it is grilled) prep. I can do canned soup or bacon and eggs as well as the next person.

I don't want to know about housework, vacuums, floors, toilets, bedclothes or any related things. I did replace the broken vacpan in the kitchen this week. I do not want anything to do with the dishes or the dishwasher.

No contract, no agreement. That is simply how it has transpired over these 46 years or so of marriage. Neither of us sweat the small stuff. So if she changes the dial on something, or changes the setting on the car seat or mirrors I could care less.

Last edited:
LOL - guess we are the exception that proves the rule.

I am Miss Spick-and-Span (yes, both my car and purse are minimalist) and DH is the Clutter-Generator.

We split chores pretty evenly. He pays the bills and I tend the investments. He mows the lawn and I tend the shrubs. He makes breakfast, I make dinner. We compete only on who spoils Companion Critter more.

He went to every cancer treatment appointment I endured, even when I told him I could quite easily do the daily radiation on my own! Last week he told me I didn't need to accompany him on his pre-kidney cancer operation CT scan. I patiently explained there was NO WAY ON THIS GREEN EARTH I wasn't going with him to every single appointment. He admitted this was fair.

We've been happily married for 34 years next month.

PS In yet another exception-that-proves-the-rule, it's a 2nd marriage for both of us

Back
Top Bottom