Old sports, new injuries

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I used to water ski a fair bit but haven't been on one for about five years. I was visiting friends on the Jersey shore this week and gave it a shot. Popped right up on a single ski and enjoyed the ride but something in my 66 YO back objected and I spent a day and a half stooped over.

I guess I've just gotta get used to that sort of reaction. It doesn't seem like there is any way to predict what will cause problems. In this case, it wasn't just general muscle strain or overuse. I felt fine overall (arms, legs) but tweaked something in my lower back.

Attachments

• ski8_2014.jpg
    ski8_2014.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 11
Lower back pain could be attributed to hamstrings or glutes being tight. Happens to me occasionally playing softball if I run too hard. Great book that is no longer in print is, "Oh, My Aching Back". It has a series of exercises that are excellent at fixing even severe sciatic back pain. I think it is still available used via Amazon.

I don't have back trouble, but I have found that as I get older there are more consequences to just jumping into physical activity that I am not accustomed to, than once was the case.

When I was in my 20s, I would ski on boats owned by older friends who were in their 50s. One had already gave up skiing and tubing altogether and the other would just have a quick token run before getting back in the boat. I wondered why they would give it up as it is so much fun. Well now that I have turned 50 I understand. Both times I have been on a ski boat this year, I passed on the offer. Don't want to deal with the pain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Screwing one's back, knees, hips, etc. in order to prove that you're still as good as you used to be is an odd way to enjoy early retirement. Or is it?

I have scoliosis, which isn't correctible in itself (I am just made that way). The uneven stresses on my frame cause a variety of overuse injuries, in the back and elsewhere. I have benefited from the strengthening exercises and stretches in "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue. The book does a good job of explaining the mechanics behind musculoskeletal pain.

Amethyst

When I was in my 20s, I would ski on boats owned by older friends who were in their 50s. One had already gave up skiing and tubing altogether and the other would just have a quick token run before getting back in the boat. I wondered why they would give it up as it is so much fun. Well now that I have turned 50 I understand. Both times I have been on a ski boat this year, I passed on the offer. Don't want to deal with the pain!

Isn't that why we pick up golf? We can't no longer play physical sports without risking major injury. And those injuries takes really long time to heal these days. It was a twisted knee that finally convinced me to pick up golf 5 years ago. Sure, playing golf comes with its own injuries but they tend to be minor. The only major golf injury I have so far is mental anguish. I need to set up some appointments with sports psychologists ... :angel:

Screwing one's back, knees, hips, etc. in order to prove that you're still as good as you used to be is an odd way to enjoy early retirement. Or is it?

"as young" is more like it. I feel old whenever I can't no longer do certain things.

I think one and a half days is a pretty light sentence. If I break the rules, my back gives me 2 months of hard time.

Isn't that why we pick up golf? We can't no longer play physical sports without risking major injury. And those injuries takes really long time to heal these days. It was a twisted knee that finally convinced me to pick up golf 5 years ago. Sure, playing golf comes with its own injuries but they tend to be minor. The only major golf injury I have so far is mental anguish. I need to set up some appointments with sports psychologists ... :angel:

Yep Rob I agree. Golf and old man light weightlifting are my last gasps of "real" sporting activity. Next stop is shuffleboard and bridge.

I have scoliosis, which isn't correctible in itself (I am just made that way). The uneven stresses on my frame cause a variety of overuse injuries, in the back and elsewhere. I have benefited from the strengthening exercises and stretches in "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue. The book does a good job of explaining the mechanics behind musculoskeletal pain.

Amethyst

So so glad you mentioned this book. I forgot Egoscue's name but used his book several years ago. His techniques were really effective for me.

I've not been the most active person, but had been an avid tennis player since my late teens. After many simple tennis injuries, rolled ankles, pulled groin, tennis elbow, plus the more debilitating, torn cartilage in the right wrist, one AC joint clean up and finally a torn labrum . . . I am happy to whack golf balls. I've thought about having surgery to repair the torn cartilage in the shoulder, but it's close to a year for a full recovery. So for now sticking with golf for a little exercise and a lot less aches and pains.

Have you considered ballroom dancing?

As an avid ballroom dancer, I'm mentioning this as a possible sport that people might consider taking up if they are looking for a light-impact activity.

It's great exercise and as long as you can walk, you can dance. Plus it has the added benefit of keeping the mind active (learning new steps and figures) and keeping you social, as you are always dancing with someone in your arms.

And, as a friend of mine loves to remark,"I dance all night with dozens of women, putting my hands all over them. And at the end of each dance, each one of them thanks me." :D

omni

Back
Top Bottom