Hip strain

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been nearly out of commission since November 3 with a nasty hip strain, apparently the hip abductor muscles. I don't think it was a complete tear, but a lot of pain that, though much diminished, is still there 12 days later. An orthopedist diagnosed it, but didn't seem to think it was serious enough to really warrant much more than OTC pain killers and rest.

It was brought on by a swiveling motion as I put away a heavy dish in a lower cabinet. BUT, since the pandemic started, I have been pursuing some high intensity-low impact interval exercises. They are not all that violent, but do involve a lot of side to side movement, stooping, bringing knees up to elbows, etc. I think they must have contributed, but the orthopedist seemed sceptical, and even told me I could take them back up again when pain free.

I do NOT want such excruciating pain again, but the exercises do seem practical and easy to keep up. What would be a cautious way of guiding myself back into them again? No rehab or rehab exercises were prescribed, and indeed, most of the rehab exercises are similar to what I was doing.

I'm thinking of waiting for at least 3 weeks after the last bit of pain goes and then starting up again very slowly, not high intensity. Is that sensible? I don't mind exercising, but I just want to do something that doesn't require much thought, technique, practice, or preparation. I rebel agains the elaborate "form" needed to do machines properly. No equipment suits me fine.

Your plan sounds reasonable. I would wait until pain free.

Your plan sounds reasonable. I would wait until pain free.

+1
I sometimes get a little hip pain from Pickleball, but it is manageable and can't imagine giving it up.

i would wait until pain free and then another 36 hours. However i would do some slow mild stretching to not lose other nearby mobility. On your back on the floor type of thing. MOving the things you can. Stop before it hurts

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom