Check power at outlet with tester.
Remove cover screw and cover.
Remove screw from outlet.
Rotate outlet.
Replace outlet screws.
Replace cover and cover screws.
Turn on power.
Test.

But the receptacle is longer than it's wide. See the siding join (looks like hump in picture) just below the box. If the receptacle is turned on it's side in the position it's in, it will be on top of that join. Wouldn't he have to cut the siding to reposition the receptacle and to move it up. The receptacle may be on it's side because the siding is double 4". Hard to tell from the picture.

If you look closely at the picture, the siding is a thin plastic that is shaped to simulate a wood lap siding. The electrical box most likely sticks out to the surface of the plastic siding. The siding is quite flexible and will move when the "in use" cover box is attached to the electrical box. The "in use" cover boxes I am using have a foam gasket that seals everything up and a variety of those small flat pieces of plastic to fit around different styles of receptacles which just snap in with the tiny tabs. You would not be changing the position of anything but the receptacle/outlet itself by just rotating it 180 degrees.

I'm sure there is a GFI installed in the circuit. That outlet doesn't have to have a GFI but it has to be protected by a GFI up stream/or before that outlet. That is code.

All my outdoor outlets are protected by a GFI circuit breaker in the main circuit breaker panel.

Mike

All my outdoor outlets are protected by a GFI circuit breaker in the main circuit breaker panel.

Mike

I think I will go that route on my house. I have had two of the weatherproof ones fail on m,e one on an outside outlet at the motor home and one on the temporary power panel at the house. That would more than cover the added cost of the GFI circuit breaker.

The tab...

IMG_0423.JPG

Last edited:
And most circuits today have a GFCI plug at the start of the circuit--protecting all the sockets on that circuit. It's where the "home run" wire coming in from the box is. The trouble with putting all plugs on a GFCI is when a short or wiring problem pops off the GFCI. You cannot reset the circuit breaker in the box and you have to find the GFCI plug--often in other rooms even.

I had that issue when an outlet in the garage went dead. It turned out that the GFCI outlet upstream from the garage outlet was in the basement directly under the breaker panel. That was the first outlet installed in the house for the building crews.

It was almost exactly as HFWR wrote in post #30, that tab and four others near the corners needed to be lifted.

The tabs hold in place a white plastic plate.
Behind the plate was the electrical outlet box.
There were two screws for the electrical outlet box.
I loosened the two screws.
Slid the big white plastic box w/cover down 1/8" and then it came off.
I further loosened the two screws and removed them.
Turned the electrical outlet box 180 degrees.
Put everything back.

Of course, the circuit breaker was off.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

are you handy?

Turn off power.
Check power at outlet with tester.
Remove cover screw and cover.
Remove screw from outlet.
Rotate outlet.
Replace outlet screws.
Replace cover and cover screws.
Turn on power.
Test.
otherwise ring a neighbors bell that is, i made an "adjustment" to my storm door, cost me 280 bucks for a new one:facepalm:
i know i would get electrocuted if i played with this. even with the great info on here, its just how my luck goes. ok saw u fixes it awesome.

Now that you are experienced, you can put something together like my temporary power pole. :LOL:

Attachments

• IMG_1142.jpg
    IMG_1142.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom