Pecan time

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Took in 54.8 lbs of pecans to be cracked and shelled yesterday.. here is the final result.. they need to be sifted through and bagged. We pretty much give most of them away, shipping to friends and family all over the country.

Still a lot more on the ground.. we have 5 native trees that produce every other year.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 10419380_10152357900461891_7228303752005802435_n.jpg
    10419380_10152357900461891_7228303752005802435_n.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 9
JEALOUS!!!
Our tree has never produced!
But I have lots of memories of going to my grandfather's place and picking them.
And hey, what's this "taking them to be cracked and shelled" business? Pure luxury!
:)

I used to have an apricot tree in the back yard. Average annual "production" was about 4 grocery bags, most of which I took into the office to give away.
But I decided I'm not really a fruit tree guy so I had it removed several years ago (in addition to the harvest one has to deal with birds, bugs and fruit that falls on the ground and rots).

We miss the fresh ones. We used to get fresh pecans from my MIL in Texas until she passed. . Last year on a visit to Texas we stocked up and froze a bunch in seal a meal packages. Fresh ones were difficult to find and sort of pricy. It turns out the export market is really strong for Pecans, making them more scarce in the USA. Drought, demand from China drive up pecan prices

I have a cousin in Texas who's a retired teacher and he now works on a pecan orchard. I think he's found that the nuts are more well behaved. :nonono:

just got back from grocery run... a pound of pecan pieces is $8.28 at the HEB...wow...didn't know they were that pricey this year. If we get 45 clean pounds, that's $372 worth, less $45 to crack...about $325 net. With the price of postage for mailing them to Fla, CA, Kansas etc... we might break even :dance:

Back
Top Bottom