Percolated Coffee

I really enjoyed the percolator coffee smell as a kid. Smelled different from the brewed coffee I smelled later.

Why did drip take over?

I don’t like clutter on my countertops so I don’t keep a coffee brew machine ou, I do like brewed coffee and I’ve been just dumping hot water on grinds and then straining it, easiest and cleanest way I’ve made coffee

I use my 35+ year old Faberware percolator most mornings when I know I will have the time to enjoy multiple "cupsajoe". I have the same routine I used back when I worked - make a full pot, pour it in my old Stanley thermos, and have multiple hot cups through the day. Leaving it plugged in tends to get a bit too tar-like for me. I've never used/tried a stovetop percolator, but a dash of nutmeg and salt in the wrap filter (sometimes hard to find) in my electric percolator makes a great cup of coffee. Perked does have a much richer taste (IMO) than even the best drip coffee.

I use my 35+ year old Faberware percolator most mornings when I know I will have the time to enjoy multiple "cupsajoe". I have the same routine I used back when I worked - make a full pot, pour it in my old Stanley thermos, and have multiple hot cups through the day. Leaving it plugged in tends to get a bit too tar-like for me. I've never used/tried a stovetop percolator, but a dash of nutmeg and salt in the wrap filter (sometimes hard to find) in my electric percolator makes a great cup of coffee. Perked does have a much richer taste (IMO) than even the best drip coffee.
I agree, I turn off my electric percolator as soon as it is finished for peak flavor. If I want another cup after the coffee cools, I just put the cup in the microwave for a few seconds.

I really enjoyed the percolator coffee smell as a kid. Smelled different from the brewed coffee I smelled later.

Why did drip take over?
I remember when we switched to drip, back in the late 70s I think. It was because it was simpler and cleaner. It was a pain to have to clean out the percolator every day, and with the drip you only had to dump the paper basket and rinse the bowl. It was never because the drip gave better tasting coffee. In fact the best coffee I remember making back then was from a Corningware electric percolator. Unfortunately the handle was glued on and would come off, scalding people, so they quit making them, and never redesigned them since drip was taking over. The stovetop models had a flange on top and didn't have the problem.

And the manufacturers loved drip, because they got to sell you a new paper filter for every brew. With the old percolators, after you bought the coffee maker all you needed was coffee. So it was easy to see which one they would prefer and they marketed them heavily.

And the manufacturers loved drip, because they got to sell you a new paper filter for every brew. With the old percolators, after you bought the coffee maker all you needed was coffee. So it was easy to see which one they would prefer and they marketed them heavily.

I'm a bit skeptical about a conspiracy to enhance profit by selling coffee filters. When I get them from Aldi I think they cost about a penny each, if that. Even the Mellitta brand filters are 3 or 4 cents each.

I haven't read the thread very closely, but has anybody brought up the study that found that ingredients in boiled (perked) coffee raise LDL cholesterol? Paper filters those ingredients out, the NIH reports. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2029499

I've never had to worry about cholesterol, but then, I've drip-brewed my coffee through paper filters for years.

I'm a bit skeptical about a conspiracy to enhance profit by selling coffee filters. When I get them from Aldi I think they cost about a penny each, if that. Even the Mellitta brand filters are 3 or 4 cents each.

I haven't read the thread very closely, but has anybody brought up the study that found that ingredients in boiled (perked) coffee raise LDL cholesterol? Paper filters those ingredients out, the NIH reports. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2029499

I've never had to worry about cholesterol, but then, I've drip-brewed my coffee through paper filters for years.
Pennies, even fractions of cent can add up. I was once associated with a medical device company, they made zero profit on their electronic device, which they essentially gave away for cost or under, but made millions on the disposables, even though they only cost pennies, and a fraction of a cent to produce. BTW I don't think anyone mentioned conspiracy, just obvious business incentive.

Pennies, even fractions of cent can add up. I was once associated with a medical device company, they made zero profit on their electronic device, which they essentially gave away for cost or under, but made millions on the disposables, even though they only cost pennies, and a fraction of a cent to produce. BTW I don't think anyone mentioned conspiracy, just obvious business incentive.

You're right, conspiracy is an overstatement on my part. But considering that coffee filters are pretty open-sourced, I can't see how makers of drip coffeemakers would find a profit motive in promoting them. Keurig K-cups, most certainly yes. Paper filters, no.

Why did drip take over?

When I've done side by side comparisons, the percolated has been more acidic. Even if coffee experts frown on acidity, I don't mind it.

Back
Top Bottom