Personal subcutaneous visible implants

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
Now, there's a bunch of words you don't want to string together!

I agonized whether to post this in "Life after FIRE" or "Other", but I decided that some of us would incorporate this bleeding-edge (literally) technology into our lives even if it meant delaying FIRE for a month or two.

Like any good geek inquisitive technology user, I subscribe to the "How Stuff Works" website.  (Marshall Brain, his real name, also wrote "A Teenager's Guide To The Real World", but you only care about that if you're raising a teen.)  It takes me to worlds that previously I've only fantasized about.

WARNING:  Swallow all beverages before clicking on the link to the fourth page (this one) of the website's article.  DO NOT click on this link if you're repulsed by the thought of large needles.  That's large as in "My goodness, is that a human ARM?!?" large.  If you think that you're going to feel faint, then call 911 before proceeding.

Anyhow Jay Sean Singer & Carl Painter, a coupla good ol' Kentucky boys, were sitting around one night over more than a few frosty beverages while ruminating about the current state of the "art", so to speak, of Carl's tattoo business.  At one point Carl said something innocuous yet deeply thoughtful like "Wouldn't it be cool if we could make this sucker move?" to which J.S. replied "Hey, I've seen that on TV and I know how to design electronics systems"... and the rest is high-tech industry history.

Yes, it uses a battery.  Plus a backlit LCD display.  And, yes, you have to plug yourself in for a recharge.  It's not easy to "reprogram".  They've only admitted to doing "close to" sixty of them.  (No word on what happened to the near misses.)  Apparently it can be procured for the price of a large-screen TV. 

Did I mention that neither of these guys is a professionally-trained or licensed medical technician?  Not that a warning like that would change the mind of those of you who are currently thinking "Kewl!"

As Dave Barry says, I am not making this up... 

Oh, yeah-- the link:  http://www.howstuffworks.com/animated-tattoo.htm

You have got to be kidding me. :-X I've seen some pretty gruesome and onconvenient looking self-mutilation, but this takes the cake.

There are people who've amputated their own limbs (and other body parts) for "art." I was going to post some Google references, but I started to feel sick while looking...

(But it's actually real, and anyone who's still curious can probably turn up some information -- and images -- himself, if so desired.)

I've seem some pretty nasty stuff in my travels with my husband to different bike events but that really is over the top.

I'm waiting for 3D animated tattos before I comitt. Of course I'll have to go around handing out those stupid cardboard glasses. :confused:

Tattoos and other body modification are one of those things that I just don't get. I do my best to maintain the integrity of my integument, and deliberately "slicing and dicing" is something I can't get my head around.

I'm willing to let other people have my share of it though, and more power to them if it makes them happier.

I want to keep my "precious bodily fluids" from leaking out if at all possible.

Installing a video display unit actually makes more sense to me than a traditional tattoo, as it would let you easily change the design if you wanted to do so.

cheers,
Michael

Back
Top Bottom