Pet door for sliding door

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
New home has a sliding door for backyard entry. We will need one of the patio door panel inserts with a pet door for 2 medium size dogs. Googling reviews brings up quite a few sites that are really selling a product vs providing neutral reviews....

Anyone with any good experience with a particular type or brand of pet door insert?

My doggies thank you in advance!

I have a removable dog door in my sliding door that I put in every morning and take out every night. I ordered it from either Home Depot or Petsmart, it's been too long to remember which one. I have a 9 foot tall slider, so I wasn't able to find one in the stores with that height. They usually have the 8 foot tall ones in stock.

Mine does not lock and I can't set my alarm with the dog door in, so I just cut a dowel to keep it in place during the day if I am gone. But I think you might be able to find a door that can lock with your existing sliding door if you look around.

You might check at both types of stores, they usually have them in stock so you can check the size of the entry for your dogs. My dogs are pretty small so the flap is too small for a person (other than a little kid) to fit through. You don't want the door to be too big, just high enough for your dogs back to fit through. There have been plenty of break-ins through a dog door, so smaller is better.

We have a sliding glass door without a pet door. I woke up one night to a skunk pushing on the patio door, apparently looking for the pet door (and dog or cat food) entrance. Our neighbor has trouble with racoons getting into the cat food.

I think if we got a pet door it would have to be one with a microchip to keep out all the critters we have in our area. I saw this on youtube but I don't own one:

Back
Top Bottom