Pet Peeves...

And from Saturday's advice column in the the Chicago Tribune:

Dear Amy: Please start a pet-peeve(s)-of-the-day feature in your column.

This would be very popular, and it would differ from the letters you receive in that it would be short and eye-catching for the readers.

May I submit a few to get the ball rolling?
1. Friends who do not know how to end a conversation; they just talk too much -- thinking they are just being friendly.
2. Older people who need a hearing aid but refuse to get one. Don't they realize that it's inconsiderate to others when they constantly have to ask them repeat? Or they play the TV too loud, making others suffer.
3. Parents who let their kids fill up on bread at restaurants, and then wonder why the kids have no appetite when the meal arrives.
-- Faithful Reader

Dear Reader: I have a few of these too. I'll start my list.
1. People who have lists of pet peeves, all of which have to do with the basically harmless behavior of other people.

People who need a hearing aid but refuse to get one. Don't they realize that it's inconsiderate to others when they constantly have to ask them repeat? Or they play the TV too loud, making others suffer.

This one drove me buggy at work. People (of various ages) who were quite hard of hearing and refused to admit it or do anything about it. They would hear every third word or so and then go on to perform a task and screw it up.

We were on a business trip and the person driving the van and the person giving navigation instructions (she grew up there) were both too proud to wear hearing aids. We got lost several times before I finally got out a map and started yelling at them.

Of course, this was just proof that I didn't respect my elders et al.

/end of rant

This one drove me buggy at work. People (of various ages) who were quite hard of hearing and refused to admit it or do anything about it. They would hear every third word or so and then go on to perform a task and screw it up.

We were on a business trip and the person driving the van and the person giving navigation instructions (she grew up there) were both too proud to wear hearing aids. We got lost several times before I finally got out a map and started yelling at them.

Of course, this was just proof that I didn't respect my elders et al.

/end of rant

Even with a hearing aid, it always doesn't help.:(

Khan, that driving experience would make a very funny skit for Saturday Night Live. I hope you can laugh at it now!

Dear Reader: I have a few of these too. I'll start my list.
1. People who have lists of pet peeves, all of which have to do with the basically harmless behavior of other people.

so is Amy suggesting we tolerate idiots:confused:? she obviously hasn't visited the curmudgeon thread...:rolleyes:

Pet peeve: people who speak in Latin abbreviations.

Back
Top Bottom