Pet Peeves....

Even worse is the self-degrading practice of calling each other "******" which has been adopted by some, mainly young, black people. I refer to myself as "black" rather than "African-American", which is probably at this point a bit old-fashioned, but it's utterly beyond me why anyone would voluntarily use a racial slur to refer to him/herself. I don't think I have ever heard members of any other ethnic group do so, and I hate to hear black people talk this way.

I have heard similar from some young women, who call each other by disgusting terms for women. Something about reclaiming the terms for themselves. I don't get it either.

Grayed out menu options or dialog controls. Sometimes the thing you want to do is grayed out, but you don't know why. The concept was flawed from the start. Better to allow the user the select it, and then say "This option is not available because..."

Just a small peeve, but why would frugal people put extra syllables in words?

'Preventative' instead of preventive. I get preventive (not preventative) maintenance on my car. The unnecessary syllable produces a rat-tat-tat sound that grates on the ear.

'Orientate' instead of orient. I need to orient (not orientate) myself to my new situation. Suspect this is a back-formation from "orientation" but it's not a happy one IMHO.

Amethyst

The seven-day forecast on the local news bugs me. They rarely (I'm serious) get the forecast correct for the next day, yet they have the nerve to pretend that they can tell what the weather's going to be next week. They know it's baloney, but they do it anyway.

Twice last week I canceled the next day's bike ride because the called for major rain, but it was clear all day.

Along this vein, why do the evening weathercasts tell us what today's weather WAS??

Numbers, such as account numbers, confirmation numbers, etc. that are displayed as long strings of digits with no separators. A dash or space every three or four digits makes a long string of digits much easier to read when speaking with a phone agent or entering into a phone keypad.

I don't think data entry operators have a problem with this, but some of the rest of us do.

Women who wear waaay too much makeup, especially those who forget to blend the foundation below their jawline.
People who wear clothing that is 2 sizes too small and allow their fat rolls to be visible. I call it "visual pollution".
Lima beans, liver, sardines and anchovies. :sick:
People who show up at the house empty handed and proceed to drink too much of your beer.
"Science projects" in the refrigerator.
Crumbs in the recliner (are you listening Mr B?) despite numerous requests to use the wicker food trays.
People who whine about always being broke, yet continue to buy pull tabs and/or lottery tickets.
Watching TV and being subjected to loud volume commercials, yet the remote holding person (guess who?) cannot seem to hit the MUTE button.

Last but not least...
Toothpaste globs in the sink.

The complexity in television remote controls is growing. And these "universal remotes" to connect all your other remotes people use have such small buttons. Plus, it seems like the power goes off just enough so you have to re-enter the codes for all your accessories. About all I want to do is change channels and volume, and turn on/off. Maybe also toggle between stations since there are more commercials. And if you push the wrong button, heaven help you getting you back to "home". I've literally been in houses with four remotes sitting on their living rooms. Does anyone out there know what even 75% of their buttons on their remotes (besides the basic TV controls) do without looking it up?

Last edited:
People who wear clothing that is 2 sizes too small and allow their fat rolls to be visible. I call it "visual pollution".

This is one of mine. I work with in a business with about 75 women and this seems to be the current way to wear clothing. No matter how out of shape, many women are wearing skin tight blouses with rolls around their waist and belly. I am not overweight, but there is no way I would wear a blouse that tight. They show every roll, wrinkle, crevice, etc. Ugh. I wonder what they see when they look in the mirror. They could be so much more attractive with one or two sizes larger.

Back
Top Bottom