Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Here's my cat Bob. His pet peeve? Not enough Fancy Feast.
Poor baby!! Cute, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

Leaving the shopping cart in the parking lot where your car was instead of putting it in the corral.

The person buying 19 items in the 10 items or less line. (or writing a check in the cash only line).

Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #63
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Here's my cat Bob. His pet peeve? Not enough Fancy Feast.
Purron, you reallly did take the term "Pet Peeve" literally, didn't you?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #64

A pet peeve is not the same as a peeved pet.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #65
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
A pet peeve is not the same as a peeved pet.
It is with a properly placed apostrophe...
Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1) the hard shell, finger nail breaking, scissor resistant, steak knife bending, "easy opening" plastic shrink wrap packaging used on just about everything.
2) NASCAR wanna bes driving underpowered, pimped out, Dodge Neons like it was the last lap at the Daytona 500.
3) Sitting at a stoplight enjoying the "good vibrations" from the bass on the radio,mp3 or cd of the near deaf driver three cars behind me.

to name a few
Old 01-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
the hard shell, finger nail breaking, scissor resistant, steak knife bending, "easy opening" plastic shrink wrap packaging used on just about everything.
THIS!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
1) the hard shell, finger nail breaking, scissor resistant, steak knife bending, "easy opening" plastic shrink wrap packaging used on just about everything.
I keep a pair of straight cut tin snips to cut these things. I got too many cuts trying to pull them apart.

Ha
Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

cable tv commercials at 3000% volume of the show.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

telemarketing calls that connect/route after you answer
Old 01-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #71

I have been sitting here laughing out loud. You guys are hysterical, absolutely hysterical. I love this site and will be going through early retirement forum withdrawal the next 10 days. Keep up the good work, because I love laughing.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Leaving the shopping cart in the parking lot where your car was instead of putting it in the corral.
Good one, I absolutely hate that.

Sure the figure the 16 year old kid working there will eventually get it, but until then everyone else trying to park is inconvenienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
The person buying 19 items in the 10 items or less line. (or writing a check in the cash only line).
A corollary to this peeve is someone who is technically in the rules of the express line with the allowable item count but is doing something that violates the principle of the line being fast.

Example: asking for a pack of smokes meaning cashier must leave the register and walk over to some other area to fish around for awhile, with the inevitable cries of "do you mean this one" and the "no the soft pack with green label" type answers.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:53 AM   #73

People who use obscenities every few words and seem never to complete a sentence without using the "F" word, sometimes more than once.

Even worse is the self-degrading practice of calling each other "******" which has been adopted by some, mainly young, black people. I refer to myself as "black" rather than "African-American", which is probably at this point a bit old-fashioned, but it's utterly beyond me why anyone would voluntarily use a racial slur to refer to him/herself. I don't think I have ever heard members of any other ethnic group do so, and I hate to hear black people talk this way.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:26 AM   #74

Quote:
2) NASCAR wanna bes driving underpowered, pimped out, Dodge Neons like it was the last lap at the Daytona 500.
3) Sitting at a stoplight enjoying the "good vibrations" from the bass on the radio,mp3 or cd of the near deaf driver three cars behind me.

to name a few
Continued,

4) Incredible shrinking "1/2 gallon" of ice cream that is now 25% smaller.
5) People who park their "better than yours" car taking up two or more parking spaces.
6) People who bring their oversized carry on onto the plane, then want you to help them nu putting it into the overhead bin...
7) Bars that have Happy Hour 1/2 price drinks, then reduce the size of the drink to 1/2 size.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Even worse is the self-degrading practice of calling each other "******" which has been adopted by some, mainly young, black people.
Sometimes I like playing online video games, and I've definitely noticed n-bombs are the current trendy insult among people who sound like teenage kids.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post

Even worse is the self-degrading practice of calling each other "******" which has been adopted by some, mainly young, black people. I refer to myself as "black" rather than "African-American", which is probably at this point a bit old-fashioned, but it's utterly beyond me why anyone would voluntarily use a racial slur to refer to him/herself. I don't think I have ever heard members of any other ethnic group do so, and I hate to hear black people talk this way.
I have heard similar from some young women, who call each other by disgusting terms for women. Something about reclaiming the terms for themselves. I don't get it either.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Grayed out menu options or dialog controls. Sometimes the thing you want to do is grayed out, but you don't know why. The concept was flawed from the start. Better to allow the user the select it, and then say "This option is not available because..."
Old 01-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Just a small peeve, but why would frugal people put extra syllables in words?

'Preventative' instead of preventive. I get preventive (not preventative) maintenance on my car. The unnecessary syllable produces a rat-tat-tat sound that grates on the ear.

'Orientate' instead of orient. I need to orient (not orientate) myself to my new situation. Suspect this is a back-formation from "orientation" but it's not a happy one IMHO.

Amethyst
Old 01-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Just a small peeve, but why would frugal people put extra syllables in words?
You sound like an alternative to a newcyewler engineeerment...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Liver? Did someone say liver? Hmm... I have not had it for a while. Would have eaten more if it weren't for health concern, meaning cholesterol.

Here's a recipe for Venetian Calf Liver. I have seen it referred to as Venetian in more than one place, but what is so "Venetian" about it? As simple as it is, is there really another way to cook it?

Calves Liver, Venetian Style: Fegato alla Veneziana Recipe : Mario Batali : Food Network