Phrase that came out of the blue

The term "literally" has become my most cringe-worthy term. During a visit to sister's home, I pointed out her frequent use of that word. She laughed and said she was not aware. Several weeks later she sent me an email and said, "I catch myself several times a day saying "literally", even though I am consciously trying to stop." Very amusing.

I don’t think it’s possible for as many things to be as “awesome” as you hear.

True dat. :D

When I finish my food, it’s really not awesome. It just means it’s okay to take the plate.

When I was in high school, I would periodically pick an unusual word or phrase and start using it regularly. Then, I would wait until I heard other kids using it. When a sufficient number of them did, I would pick something else and start saying that. One of the words I chose was "indeed", to be used in exactly the same circumstances as "word" or "true dat". Today, I might look into a career as an "influencer", but back then I was just messing around with people and amusing myself.

Most definitely the bee's knees.

"holy moly"... "gosh", dad gum, and "gol darn it"

Last edited:
"no problem". Especially grating when used by a customer service rep on the rare occasions I have a complaint that needs resolving.

"I catch myself several times a day saying "literally"

In the 1990s, when I lived on Salt Spring Island, BC, an aunt by marriage came from England to visit friends in Anacortes, WA...she took the ferry over to see us....I swear she said "Actually" (pronounced "Ektually"), about ten times in a five word sentence.

We all have our verbal tics. When I read the transcript of the first deposition I ever conducted, I was appalled by the number of times I began the question with "And ..... ?" I worked very hard after that to eliminate it.

I had a friend that said "true that" once. Maybe he really said "true dat" and I didn't catch it. lol

Anyway, don't let these little things ruin your day.

We all have our verbal tics. When I read the transcript of the first deposition I ever conducted, I was appalled by the number of times I began the question with "And ..... ?" I worked very hard after that to eliminate it.

It's not just verbal either.....when I started in Telco sales we underwent mock sales contacts which were videoed for training and review.

First thing I noticed about every one of my contacts, I'd sit down and immediately shoot my cuffs. It's a wonder nobody asked me whose deal it was.

I broke that habit tout de suite.

I found the response, "I don't disagree" an annoyment in meetings.

That and "irregardless".

One of the best things that happened in retirement is to not have to listen to people in meetings trying to interject the phrase "lean in" every time they spoke. It appeared from nowhere - at least to me - about 5 years b4 retirement & drove me nuts after the 3rd instance in a week. I was nuts a lot. I have heard it once since I left.

I said before here. The phrase that aggravated me the most when working was "Reach out to them".

I'll call, I'll text, I'll email, but when I reach out it will be to wring the neck of someone who told me to Reach Out.

OK. I feel better now.

I just thought of this. When I was growing up in the 80's one of my favorites was "yeah but" before I would start my rebuttal. It drove my dear father absolutely crazy. He picked on me so much about that I finally quit saying it.

Even though my kids are married and on their own, I still ask them when I hear new words, phrases, sayings, etc that are unknown to me.

On the other hand, I like to resurrect old words or phrases to use with them. The last one I started using frequently was "groovy". That always gets them rolling their eyes and giving each other knowing looks about their dad's onrushing senility. :D

Wow I think the only place anyone is likely to encounter "groovy" these days is in some Simon & Garfunkel retrospective featuring the "59th Street Bridge Song". I can imagine young folks today having no idea what it means. BTW you may see an updated (2017) version of "59th Street Bridge Song" thanks to "Simon & Colbert"

"no problem". Especially grating when used by a customer service rep on the rare occasions I have a complaint that needs resolving.

And its cousin, which is even worse somehow, "not a problem".

Can you explain keen o jets? I could google it, but I would rather read your view of it if you would care to share.

? 1950's Southwest Washington. Meant great or really cool. Usually referring
to a statement or event.

heh heh heh - absolutely no idea where it came from. Was pretty much gone by the 1960's.

I started to get a visible eye twitch when someone would use "disrupt" at work, particular in the tech realm, like they were just the coolest thing...it went from the new thing to overused in a hot minute.

Other peeves: Everyone has to be "super excited" about stuff now. The aforementioned "reach out", "ask" as a noun. Oh and apparently it's ok to use Literally when you mean Figuratively? Not to my ears thank you.

A new one with the post-millenials (watch out if your kids or GK's use this about you): Extra

As in "you're so extra..." (tip - it's not a compliment)

Back
Top Bottom