Pigs Are Flying...

They should know me by now since I've protested every increase they've tried to hoist on me for the past three years, especially the 13% increase a couple of years ago that turned out to be a "mistake". (Somehow the files were changed to show our home as new construction and our deck, which I built for less than $5K, was valued at $35K!)
They're probably running an office pool for the time when your phone number will show up on the office's caller ID...

It does sound like they've made a few "hedonic adjustments" to your assessment to bring it into line with what they presume market conditions would otherwise be in a more rational environment. Yeah, that's it, rational environment.

REW, you should make them a deal. They get to set the price on your house, but you get to decide whether to sell it to them each year.

REW, you should make them a deal. They get to set the price on your house, but you get to decide whether to sell it to them each year.
I know it's unworkable and unfeasible, but I've often thought it would be cool if a tax appraisal also doubled as an offer to buy the house for (say) 90% of the assessed value. Once you receive the appraisal, you'd have 60 days to serve notice that you intend to exercise the option to sell. It would certainly create incentive to accurately assess real estate values...

I know it's unworkable and unfeasible, but I've often thought it would be cool if a tax appraisal also doubled as an offer to buy the house for (say) 90% of the assessed value. Once you receive the appraisal, you'd have 60 days to serve notice that you intend to exercise the option to sell. It would certainly create incentive to accurately assess real estate values...

And a tax protest should constitute an offer to sell. :cool:

I visited with the folks at the county appraisal district today regarding the increase in my property value assessment. I discussed the sales activity in our neighborhood during the past year - the four unsuccessful attempts to sell and the two that did sell and asked how they could justify an increase. Their response was 1) the failure of the four neighborhood listings to sell had no bearing on property values, 2) one of the sales (the foreclosure) was in late 2008 and has no bearing on the recent property value assessment, and 3) they have no record of the most recent sale (I learned the sale was delayed and the house has not closed.).

Since there have been no sales in the past year, asked why my assessment had increased ( BTW, the increase was 1.4%, not the 4.7% I stated earlier) and was told it was simply a construction replacement cost increase. I asked, as politely as I could muster, if they were living under a rock and weren't aware of the quarry going in next door (we're still fighting it but the writing is on the wall). I was assured they were well aware of it and that it would likely negatively impact the value of the homes in our neighborhood. They explained until a house sells in our neighborhood they have no way to measure the impact of the quarry and cannot adjust our property values. When I pointed out the obvious fact no one had been able to sell a house out here in the past year and the quarry going in would make it even more difficult to find a buyer, I was told, "Sorry, that's the law."

Bottom line, before any of us living here can get our assessed property values lowered to reflect reality someone is going to have to sell/give away their house.

What a fustercluck.

They explained until a house sells in our neighborhood they have no way to measure the impact of the quarry and cannot adjust our property values.

That argument cuts both ways, they also would have no basis to increase the value.

I would think that a copy of the signed purchase agreement for the divorced woman's home would be good evidence of value.

I would think that a copy of the signed purchase agreement for the divorced woman's home would be good evidence of value.

Yeah, you'd think - but then we're dealing with the county gummint here.

According to the appraisal district they look only at completed sales during the 12 month period of April 2009 through March 2010 to set 2010 appraisal values. Unless the sale actually closed during that time period it won't be considered.

The Chamber of Commerce still payin you REW? Spiders, scorpions, fire ants, heat, humidity, and now ridiculous unfounded tax assessment increases?

Back
Top Bottom