Pit Bulls and BBQ / Texas

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In the country near our home is a Biker / BBQ called Drifters . DW and I decided to go for some BBQ over the weekend . You walk in and you see the biggest meanest looking Pit bull of your life (Brutus ) . He has his own broken recliner but he gets up when a lot of people come in to see who is there .
You look around people are playing horse shoes and just talking . There is a table with women just sitting and talking , but at the table there is another Pit Bull sitting beside his master on a metal chair. A guy walked in and behind him is his Lab . We are eating BBQ when DW feels something under her feet . Another Pit Bull ( they called him Sonny. They said he was real shy . I don't understand how these people train their dogs to be so good and Pit Bulls at that . Mt dog would be running around , these dogs acted like they were part of the group. Of course all of the Pits were overweight . Probably from eating BBQ .

Have you ever seen a real 'Service Dog"? They are super calm. It's all in the training. Breeding is part of it, but training is key.

Those pit bulls may have been selected from a strain of less aggressive parentage. They'd still be pit bulls, but could make good pets. Fighting chickens are bred for aggression, but they are still chickens.

-ERD50

Probably enough patrons slipping scraps to the dogs under the table that the dogs are conditioned to behave.

To me to have a dog of that rep and probably weighing 100LBs , the damage they could do is incredible . But these Pit Bulls had a personality of a person in a social environment . Better behaved then lots of children.

I can think of worse catastrophes than a fat dog

Of course all of the Pits were overweight . Probably from eating BBQ.

Good for them. I bet they're some happy dogs.

My magnificent daughter-in-law is a veterinarian. As a True Believer in her craft, she has painstakingly trained her own dogs against eating people food. She feeds them only high-quality, nutritionally engineered, dog-specific fare. They've never had the first table scrap...

...but I've seen them let off-leash to roam in a pasture and, upon encountering a freshly laid horse flop, wolf it down like it's candy. :sick:

After seeing that, I figure the odd treat of BBQ or steak gristle won't do my dogs any harm. And in return, they give unlimited love. I ask for nothing more.

My daughter found a pit bull in a ditch out in the country. She brought him home, nursed him and we had him 9 years. Harley was such a sweetheart. He just didn't like other dogs, so he had to be manually walked--rain or shine.

We've since had Rottweilers. One got dognapped and was gone for 5 months--until finding his way home starving. We nursed him back to health and he lived to 9 years old.

Now we have a 131 pound, overweight female Rottweiler--Xena. She's a real lover, and likes to jump up in bed and snuggle with us. She does not have any aggression in her personality as she doesn't know she's a Rottie.

Problems with pits is their volatile personalities. They go from asleep to hysterical in about 1 1/2 seconds, and they don't think before they bite. And they can really cause damage with jaws that so powerful and lock. It's just too dangerous to have them unless they're well bred and have been raised around other dogs. You cannot let them run loose unless you have acreage.

I agree , but to have 3 Pit Bulls hanging around a Bar/ BBQ around all types of people , motorcycles . They have pictures on the wall of Brutus with Sunglasses and a Texan jersey with the Bud Light Bikini girls . The dogs were basically lazy but true they can explode quickly.

I agree , but to have 3 Pit Bulls hanging around a Bar/ BBQ around all types of people , motorcycles . They have pictures on the wall of Brutus with Sunglasses and a Texan jersey with the Bud Light Bikini girls . The dogs were basically lazy but true they can explode quickly.

We are in Texas, remember ? (LOL).

Hey, there is a mixed PB hanging around a local bar in the Woodlands, too. He really like french fries (ask me how I know). I think his feamale owner likes them better though! :D

Like any breed there are good and bad. It’s a myth that pit bulls jaws lock. So many pits end up in shelters. Most campgrounds insurance no longer allow them. Some towns outlaw the breed. People should stop excessively breeding them.

...clip..
Fighting chickens are bred for aggression, but they are still chickens.

-ERD50

+1

If all people knew were fighting cocks the word chicken would have a different meaning. Of course a Long Island Red rooster can be a mean sob. [emoji12]

Many pits are great dogs. I know(normal) people who keep them with their kids.

Yes, before the negative media blitz they were known as "nanny dogs"

Prejudice against dogs is still prejudice

Yes, before the negative media blitz they were known as "nanny dogs"

Roger this. One of our dogs is a pit bull, and when toddlers come to visit, the pit reflexively inserts himself into guard position in front of the toddler. No training required, he just knows to do it. He's extremely gentle and affectionate with people, although do you need to be on your guard regarding his incredible power: when you are at the dining table, he will plop his 50 lb head into your lap and shoot you a sad, worried look capable of melting your heart into butter. That's the signal that his bacon quota hasn't yet been reached.

Up until five years ago, I was leery of pit bulls. I had no direct experience with them, my opinion was based on what I heard in the media.

Then my DD started volunteering at a shelter for so-called “bully” dogs. She ended up fostering a pit bull for a few weeks so I got to spend some time with him.

He was such a sweetie! He loves to snuggle. He attached to DD and constantly monitored her activity. Since he was only eight months old and had lived half his life in the shelter he had some bad habits such as pulling on the leash (he was strong!) and chasing anything that moved. His behavior improved in the few weeks DD had him so I’m sure he would behave for a good owner.

He did tend to nip at unexpected motion but it was more of a “hey what’s that” response than “I want to hurt” response. I would’ve been very careful introducing this dog to a child because of this tendency (kids make a lot of unexpected movements) but I believe once the dog bonded with a child he would be a vigilant protector.

It was sad that when I was walking the pit bull, people would avoid us. He didn’t jump or bite but people were afraid. Because of what I learned while DD had her pittie, I make an effort to pay attention to pit bulls I encounter while walking. I always ask the owner if I may approach their dog (any dog, not just pit bulls) and if the answer is yes I give them some attention. I give the pitties a little extra because other people won’t give them any.

Really tough to change the public's perception of pit bulls with stuff like this on the news:

The pit bull, Bully, got out of his yard and charged at [73 year old] Mixon Smith as she was gardening on March 6, 2017. She said the dog latched onto her arm and never let go until it was ripped off just under the elbow. The right side of her face was torn from the eyebrow to her chin.

Couple convicted in pit bull attack that maimed San Antonio senior

I love animals in restaurants. Especially when they're medium rare.

I usually do not eat at restaurants that allow animals in them.

Don't most public places have to allow service animals? I don't see them in restaurants often, but perhaps I don't frequent many restaurants.

I have noticed a lot more dogs at the hardware store.

If I walked into a place sporting pit bulls, I would silently turn around and leave no matter how good the BBQ. It may not be politically correct but I think a message is sent when pit bull pets are made front and center. The message intended may be pit bulls are sweet dogs but my knee jerk wouldn't give time for an assessment.

In my opinion, pitbulls are sweet, loving, family dogs...until they snap for no apparent reason.

Drifters is a typical BBQ / Biker bar . A large steel building with roll up garage doors . The dogs wander in and out of there . I told my neighbor about them and he told me never sit in Brutus old recliner . He will plop down on your lap till you move . I tell you these dogs are like part of the scene there .

Drifters is a typical BBQ / Biker bar . A large steel building with roll up garage doors . The dogs wander in and out of there . I told my neighbor about them and he told me never sit in Brutus old recliner . He will plop down on your lap till you move . I tell you these dogs are like part of the scene there .

Some folks just don't understand what a Texas Ice House is all about, I guess!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom