Join Early Retirement Today

Police Report Procedure
Old 05-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Police Report Procedure

MRG, understand the circumstances in your reply but doesn't apply here.

This wasn't a 911 call, it was a request for information to the non emergency line that I thought was over after the call. I didn't ask for a dispatch. Hard to envision a scenario where the deputies would have thought I wasn't the owner of the house in this case. They also clearly stated the reason they wanted my DL was to make it easier to run my name against the criminal database. Guess I didn't expect to be on the receiving end of the investigation so was caught off guard.

Sounds like it is probably just a policy they try to use with all interactions.

Thanks again for the thoughts so far.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

This thread reminds me that several years ago in a neighboring township there was a complaint that there were sounds of gunfire coming from a quarry. It turned out the quarry owner allowed the police to do their required target practice in the quarry while it was closed.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

While I have never been a fan of the ACLU this thread makes me want to consider supporting them.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #24

Folks, appreciate the replies but think I got what I was asking for. I edited my last reply as the info supplied wasn't useful. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I do not know the firearm discharge law in the OP's state, but here in AZ it is a class 6 felony to discharge a firearm within or into any municipality unless done within a firing range or in a private underground range. In an unincorporated area which probably fits the OP's situation, gun firing is prohibited within 1 mile of an occupied structure.

I doubt that a gun fired 1 mile away would bother me that much, particularly when there's a lot foliage around. So, perhaps the guy firing the gun was a lot closer to the OP's home.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Police Report Procedure

If they did not run the guy who called and it later turned out he was a felon who slipped through their fingers, people would be screaming about the police not running every contact.

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on
Old 05-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
If they did not run the guy who called and it later turned out he was a felon who's lipped through their fingers...
+1

Nothing says shoddy police work like lipping felons...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
While I have never been a fan of the ACLU this thread makes me want to consider supporting them.
Hey, even G Gordon Liddy sang their praises when they came to his defense. And didn't they help Oliver North too?

Ya never can tell what the cops are up to. Here it would seem there was no reason to "jack up" a citizen who asked a question. However what they were likely doing is, as some have said, just verifying who they were talking to "for the record". We talked to a Mister Jones. Or hell I don't now, that's who he said he was.
Or maybe they are under some stupid-assed dictate from HQ (we all know those) to grab as many driver's licenses as you can. "Toody and Muldoon" are just filling the squares

I grew up with police. My father and uncle were policemen. My father always warned us "don't talk to the police." I guess because he knew what they get up to.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
If they did not run the guy who called and it later turned out he was a felon who's (s)lipped through their fingers, people would be screaming about the police not running every contact.
Yeah, that's a good reason. Everybody's a criminal. I guess all cops are criminals too. Why wouldn't they be by that logic? Us vs them. It's the American Way. Like all those cops I knew growing up used to say when joking about this kind of thing: Don't like it? Wadaya gonna do? Call the police?
Old 05-05-2014, 06:57 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I see a successful ACLU lawsuit on the horizon.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #31

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet!

No offense, Walt!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet!

No offense, Walt!

Actually isn't relevant to my original question but an interesting video.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #33

I probably would have called police too if there were unexpected shots fired, but if they come knocking on my door, they don't need my DL for anything, nor do they need to come inside for any reason. I understand that it is their "routine procedure," but keep in mind that making an arrest is also a "routine procedure," as is lying to suspects or persons of interest.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #34

He obviously wanted to check you for warrants. The easiest way to do that is to slide your DL thru a DL reader on their computer in the car just like you do with a debit card at the grocery store. That's most likely why he wanted your DL. Now, why he wanted to check you for warrants is a whole different question. Seems ridiculous to me unless you were acting strangely.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:46 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I am sure I would have handed over my DL right away, too, but the OP's situation where the deputies said they wanted to check his record still makes me uneasy. No evidence of any criminal activity on his part to prompt the database searches (unlike having a broken tail-light or failing to signal a turn in the case of a driver), right? So really the deputies are indirectly encouraging people not to report any suspicious activity lest they become their focus.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Now, why he wanted to check you for warrants is a whole different question. Seems ridiculous to me unless you were acting strangely.
Exactly, next are they going to start going door to door to run other homeowners DLs without probable cause.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

As a parent on a Cub Scout visit to the County Jail, we were shown a squad car which all the kids got to sit in. I gave the officer my DL so that he could show the kids what the computer did with it. I found out that ….
Old 05-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

All I know is since 1987 when I received my one and only ticket, I have been pulled over at least a dozen times and never have received a ticket or official warning ticket. So they certainly have treated me well over the years. Even in the big city, a police officer noticed my car had been broken into and left a note for me to call him. I thought it humorous he noted that the thief wasn't very good because he didn't find the $50 in car that the officer did. And no the officer didn't steal it either!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #39

.....just come to Albuquerque and it *will* be the police who did the shooting......

Even after the DOJ investigation results released about 2 months ago, we have had 4 police kills in the past 2 months.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #40

With any luck you will not have your name in the local paper as a result of this. I would imagine half of folks won't report anything to the cops, because they don't want their names in the paper.