• Both leagues adapt the DH

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Both leagues eliminate the DH

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • Keep things the way they are.

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That happened when? 1975? It was about then, The Indians sucked (I hated it when they won a game, because I knew that tomorrow they would lose (couldn't win 2 in a row in those days). A 95 loss season was a victory (it wasn't 100). But I listened to Herb Score call the games every night.

I remember the time a pop up to short center field resulted in an inside the park home run and 3 players ending up on the DL. The centerfielder, 2B, SS, LF and RF all converged on the high pop fly. Apparently they all called it (I have it. . . No you have it) and then collided. The ball landed a few feet from the pile of bodies. The first one to the ball was a trainer who came from the dugout to help the concussed and bleeding players. If it weren't for the injuries, it would have been funny.

Those were dark days for Indians fans (and yes, Alvin Dark was the manager!)

I remember as a kid when I first began following baseball in 1972, the last time the AL did not have a DH. Here in NY, when we had lots of Yankees and Mets games on free TV, I would get to see just how different the games were the following year when the AL adopted the DH. It always annoyed me to see NL teams get out of jams because a pitcher would flail weakly at 3 pitches and strike out most of the time. Similarly, it annoyed me to see pitchers pitching good games (like Seaver) have to get pulled because their teams couldn't hit. The DH ended both of these things and let an AL pitcher pitching a good game stay in the game as long as he wasn't out of gas.

Then there was the World Series which, back in the 1970s and 1980s, would force the AL's pitchers to hit or force the NL's team to use a DH and weaken its bench. Neither seemed very fair.

Add the DH to the NL to clean up that problem, too.

:LOL:

I have no choice. Grew up in St. Louis. Lived there (save for undergrad) until my mid-40s..... What is this blasphemous encrustation upon the one-true game of which you speak?

:)

Run this same poll on a forum where the avg age is not over 50 and there will be a completely different result. This forum is as old school as it gets. Not saying that's a bad thing...but....

Yes I am impressed by the number of purists here. Always been an AL fan though so I'm still sticking with the DH.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom