• Keep things the way they are.

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Baseball fans:

What is your preference about the DH?

I can't believe I voted for the DH, but recently I've come around to seeing the advantage of not having a hole in the bottom of every lineup. I've been a NL fan all my life, but I think I'm finally converted.

Even though I root for an AL team, I think having pitchers hit adds a twist to the game that makes the game more interesting. Now if they can just develop some pitchers who can hit!

Either way, I think it should be the same between the leagues... having it different is a bit odd to me.

People watch pro sports to see the best in the world do what they do best. Some people still believe that having pitchers hit adds strategy to the game. I respect that opinion but, come on, even those people don't enjoy watching pitchers hit. 95% of them are horrible at it. Nobody wants to see that. Its a waste of time and an automatic out almost every time.

Pitchers batting makes the game more interesting. Gaylord Perry was pitching for the Indians, and he was at bat with a runner on third in the bottom of the ninth (the bullpen was horrid in those years, and Perry's batting was better than the relievers' pitching!). As the pitcher was starting his wind up, Perry raised his hand indicating a timeout (remember, the batter can ask for time, but it is the Ump who grants it). The pitcher stopped mid pitch, and the ump waved the runner home for a walk off balk!!! The strategy that the manager and Perry came up with worked. Makes for a good dialogue afterwards too!

Pitchers batting makes the game more interesting. Gaylord Perry was pitching for the Indians, and he was at bat with a runner on third in the bottom of the ninth (the bullpen was horrid in those years, and Perry's batting was better than the relievers' pitching!). As the pitcher was starting his wind up, Perry raised his hand indicating a timeout (remember, the batter can ask for time, but it is the Ump who grants it). The pitcher stopped mid pitch, and the ump waved the runner home for a walk off balk!!! The strategy that the manager and Perry came up with worked. Makes for a good dialogue afterwards too!

That happened when? 1975? That's how outdated pitchers batting is.

That happened when? 1975? That's how outdated pitchers batting is.

Why have any of the defensive positions bat ?! Have 18 players on each team, nine fielders and nine batters. It is silly to have DHs.

If you don't like the DH, that's fine but I'd rather have only 8 players hit than have the pitchers hit.

I follow the NL more than the AL and forget there is a DH until inter league or playoff time.

I voted to eliminate the DH. With no DH, the pitcher can't play bean ball without having to step in the batter's box himself :LOL:

Plus, having a team with a good hitting pitcher serves as an advantage.

The real plus I see of having a DH is keeping old broken down players who still can hit out of retirement. But overall, I'd say eliminate the DH.

I'm an Edgar Martinez fan so totally support it :)

Also, seeing a pitcher hit is as interesting as eating pizza without cheese.

When I was pitching, it took a lot out of me hitting and running the bases and then having to get back on the mound. While I initially was opposed to the DH, after my adult hardball time, I could appreciate it more.

Most pitchers, and most QBs/kickers, would not make the team at another position.

Managers barely have to manage in the AL.

I am generally not a purist but I think having pitchers hit adds a lot of strategy to the game. My guy is throwing great in the 7th but I am down a run and he is coming up to bat with a runner is scoring potion. This and other situations is what baseball is about too me.

I prefer the NL rules,but appreciate that the AL provides a place for aging hitters to squeeze out a few more seasons. You know, those guys sometimes need OMY 😉.

Why have any of the defensive positions bat ?! Have 18 players on each team, nine fielders and nine batters. It is silly to have DHs.

This is what I was thinking.... do not compare it to football... it is more like basketball where all players play both offense and defense... this leaves holes that the other team can exploit... there is a player on the Rockets that team foul on purpose even before they can get down to the offensive side... because he throws up bricks...

Having the pitcher bat means that the team has to think about having some better long relievers which takes up a spot or two on the team... they also have to think about when to sub out the pitcher if there is a rally going on... and heck, some pitchers are actually OK hitters...

DH in both leagues. Unless you can find me a bunch of Babe Ruth types. Most fans come to the park to see offense. I can remember being at a game in which Dave Stieb took a no-hitter into the ninth inning and having the feeling that it was lost on most of the fans there who would rather have been watching a 9-7 game!

This is what I was thinking.... do not compare it to football... it is more like basketball where all players play both offense and defense... this leaves holes that the other team can exploit... there is a player on the Rockets that team foul on purpose even before they can get down to the offensive side... because he throws up bricks...

They play defense in the NBA? Now you've got me thinking that this DH thing could get carried to it's natural conclusion...

Managers barely have to manage in the AL.

I am generally not a purist but I think having pitchers hit adds a lot of strategy to the game. My guy is throwing great in the 7th but I am down a run and he is coming up to bat with a runner is scoring potion. This and other situations is what baseball is about too me.

+1

Check Wikipedia for "Whiteyball", or go to any Cardinals home game. Yes, the crowd loves a home run, but here is a lot of cheering and appreciation for stealing a base, stretching a hit, or a perfect sacrifice bunt. Maybe in NY or LA they only care about the big hit, but most NL fans enjoy a well played and well managed game. In the NL, the manager can, and does, make a difference in almost every game.

Another AL watcher here but I'd support the elimination of the DH. I think it would make the game purer and IMHO add more credence to the stats of the players wanting to get into the HOF.

Having the pitcher bat means that the team has to think about having some better long relievers which takes up a spot or two on the team... they also have to think about when to sub out the pitcher if there is a rally going on... and heck, some pitchers are actually OK hitters...

This. They're either baseball players or they are pitchers/fielders vs. batters. I can actually see this happening in the future, to try to improve attendance/viewing numbers.

Plus, I always loved watching Fernando Valenzuela or Orel Hershiser win their own game with their bat. It was like adding insult to injury. Of course these days pitchers don't pitch complete games anyway, so it wouldn't happen very often.

Back
Top Bottom