Poll: Biggest Credit Card

What is the largest credit card limit you have?

• Less than 5,000

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • 5,000 to 10,000

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • 10,000 to 15,000

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • 15,000 to 20,000

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 20,000 to 25,000

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • 25,000 to 30,000

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • 30,000 to 50,000

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • 50,000 to 100,000

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Greater than 100,000

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Rustic23

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We have two credit cards. One with a low limit, and the other, by our standards, a large limit. We use one for bills only, and the other for everything else.

That got me wondering what most people on here would have for their largest credit card limit.

We have one card only, with an $11,000 Canadian limit (~$8,220 US)......some years back the bank attempted to raise the limit without our pre-approval....I was obliged to notify them that this pissed me off, and that they should not do it again.

They haven't.

(We don't carry a balance either.)

They keep increasing my limit without me asking...it started at $5,000 and is now $24,000.

I only have 2 cards, got rid of all the rest...the one with a lower limit is used exclusively for online purchases, the larger one is used in person.

Our Penfed card has a ridiculous limit of over $50K but we only use it for gas.

One of my pet peeve/first world problems is that we can't use a card for really expensive stuff (home renovations, say, or buying a car).

One of my pet peeve/first world problems is that we can't use a card for really expensive stuff (home renovations, say, or buying a car).

I ran into this a couple months ago...the septic tank installer would only take a cheque (or cash). I guess he didn't want to pay the credit card company their cut on a $10,000 bill.

Without looking it up I have no idea. However I do know it's far more than any amount I'd ever charge.

One of my credit unions gave me $50k, not PenFed. I don't use PenFed a lot.

hahaha, buy a car

so we go buy a suv, do all the paper work give them a credit card for the deposit maybe 1 thousand i dont remember, and they said "ok we will prep the car come back in 2 days", we return, its now 8pm they tell us its about 38 more thousand and we hand them 2 credit cards. hahahahaha the salesman says "whats this"? we said to buy the car, they said no way . i told them u didnt say to bring a bank check, they wound up taking a personal check for the balance, but did write up a loan agreement for,the balance due if the check bounced, returned for the free 1000 mile oil change and got back the loan agreement, got a clean title about 2 months later

I don't understand why any provider would enable credit billing if they could demand cash. Even taxis hate to take them. Some of them get ripped off by their companies by 8% and make them wait for 2 weeks for their money.

Even retailers of furniture and other big ticket items offer 10% off for cash including checks here is Mexico. We even had a car dealer accept a credit card.

they wound up taking a personal check for the balance, but did write up a loan agreement for,the balance due if the check bounced, returned for the free 1000 mile oil change and got back the loan agreement, got a clean title about 2 months later

I'm a little surprised. I've never had the slightest problem buying a car with a personal check. Dealers have always treated it like cash, and no delay on getting the title. Maybe they got nervous because you first offered the credit card?

We have always paid by check for vehicles. Not that we've bought very many. I was able to put $3k on the credit card last time but wrote a check for the balance.

I'm a little surprised. I've never had the slightest problem buying a car with a personal check. Dealers have always treated it like cash, and no delay on getting the title. Maybe they got nervous because you first offered the credit card?

The last 3 cars I paid with a personal check ( the whole total). Since there is a significant period between when you agree on the deal and you visit with the finance person/add on warranty seller) they have plenty of time to check with the bank if the check is good. Further if the check bounces there is always the repo man. One dealer did keep one of the keys until the license plates came which meant if they needed to repo it no need to work to get keys.

I once ran into a body shop that had a 500 limit on credit cards due to the fees on the cards. The dealers may have similar limits being unwilling to loose 3-4% to the credit card company on the sale. If you offered to cover the credit card charge they might have done differently.

Last edited:
We purchased a new vehicle (RV) with a credit card (indirectly), by way of those 0% interest rate checks they send out every so often. The dealer did not hesitate to accept it.

True enough, but most medical bills can now be settled by credit card. May be another reason why so many folks get into serious CC difficulties - and eventually bankruptcy. First reason is buying too much stuff IMHO.

We bought our last (used) car with a combo of CC and personal check. They would only let us charge about $3K IIRC. As a (former) small business person, I realize that the merchant pays essentially all the "goodies" (points, cash back, air miles, or whatever) to the purchaser, so I understand why most big-ticket sellers do not accept CCs. The margin is too thin compared to most retail businesses where mark up is 2x to 4x or so. YMMV

so we go buy a suv, do all the paper work give them a credit card for the deposit maybe 1 thousand i dont remember, and they said "ok we will prep the car come back in 2 days", we return, its now 8pm they tell us its about 38 more thousand and we hand them 2 credit cards. hahahahaha the salesman says "whats this"? we said to buy the car, they said no way . i told them u didnt say to bring a bank check, they wound up taking a personal check for the balance, but did write up a loan agreement for,the balance due if the check bounced, returned for the free 1000 mile oil change and got back the loan agreement, got a clean title about 2 months later

Pretty tight scrutiny by your dealership! I've always written a personal check for automobile purchases and they've always been accepted without any collateral, such as the loan agreement your dealer required. I'm surprised.

We too. We hack cards for travel perks. We were recently able to put our new AC/Heat system (~$10K) on a card. But yeah, being able to put a car on the card would def amp up the mileage points.:dance:

We too. We hack cards for travel perks. We were recently able to put our new AC/Heat system (~$10K) on a card. But yeah, being able to put a car on the card would def amp up the mileage points.:dance:

I was able to in 2012. But it was a base model Fit, so only 15K and change.

I answered the pole for my citi card ($14K)

however, Amex has "no" limit - I put an allied van move on it 6 years ago that was over $20K all in

Back
Top Bottom