Poll: Did you ever own/wear a leisure suit (be honest)?

Be honest! Did you ever own/wear a leisure suit?

• Yes, I wore one back in the day (70's), didn't everyone?

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • No, I dodged that trend somehow, or I just can't admit it even anonymously

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • Yes, and I still do. So do all my friends...

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Come on, we're all the right age here, just admit it...

[I did the poll option, and provided answers, but somehow it got lost] probably doesn't matter much.

Attachments

• green-leisure-suit.jpg
    green-leisure-suit.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Poll: Leisure suits!

Come on, we're all the right age here, just admit it...

My husband once brought one, he wanted to be in fashion. It was awful but I didn't want to hurt his feelings. My solution was when he asked me what to wear it was NEVER that 'costume'.

While not leisure suit, more like a Pimp G suit. I can't believe I left the house like this.

img_1169384_0_393bd52b0a9f831a30a144e44b33adb6.jpg

I have to admit buying one in 1971, but I think I only wore it once. After that, it was just a joke hanging in the closet. Finally got rid of it sometime in the 80s.

In 1985 my unit was in Korea for some fun (yeah, right). One of my friends who has always been a little odd had a James West suit hand-made by a Korean tailor. Yep, just like James wore in the Wild Wild West TV show. He really liked it, I thought it was strange, but hey...it was his money. No way I'd have worn it, but to each his/her own I suppose.

No LS, but still have those pastel shirts along with the broad ties in the back of some closet :LOL: ...

No leisure suit. And no white belt or white shoes, either. Guess I wasn't hip.

EDIT: I did date a girl named Polly who had a sister named Ester...

Last edited:
For the none-Americans here could you please explain what a leisure suit is :)

For the none-Americans here could you please explain what a leisure suit is :)
Alan, it was a costume used for disco dancing. Neither you nor I were in the states at the time, looks like we missed something big. Thank God!

Alan, it was a costume used for disco dancing. Neither you nor I were in the states at the time, looks like we missed something big. Thank God!

Phew, close thing.

DH never wore a leisure suit...at least while we've been together.

However, I must admit my hair, like the guy in the first photo, looked exactly the way his does when I went to my prom in 1974. :blink:

Last edited:
Nope. Never! But I did have a great big medallion hanging by a humongous chain. Inscribed Chateau de Vie. It was a singles club. Frequented by many married ones.

Oh yeah. 1974 -2005 New Orleans. Only in the 70's though. Plus those open necked shirts and Mardis Grais medillions on a chain.

:D Stylin! :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: Fat City was going strong back then.

heh heh heh - straight laced conservative at work though. :cool:

Last edited:
I never wore a leasure suit. I think I got that sort of thing out of my system a few years earlier wearing a Nehru jacket once. :facepalm: Really, it was only one time and I learned my lesson.

Cheers!

Is it a slow day in Chicagoland Midpack? :)

Just trying to provide some amusement among the more serious topics. I saw one on TV today, and it made me cringe, and then laugh (at myself). Good thing DW didn't know me yet.

And not sure I believe the results, but not the point anyway. :D

Last edited:
Are you expecting only men to answer your poll?:angel:

All are welcome, but not as amusing with women. Seems like Hillary has worn them her whole life, and still does...

Don't forget while the guys were wearing leisure suits we women were wearing platform shoes ,bell bottoms and hot pants !:):)

There was a resurgence of the fad for Oxford Bags when I was in school in the 1970's in England. Oxford Bags were the kind of pants the Bay City Rollers wore. I really wanted a pair of these and some platform shoes, so I could be as popular with the girls as Anthony Quinn was (not the actor - I had a classmate of the same name who in my estimation was the class "cool guy"). My Mum wouldn't buy me the platform shoes, but she did buy me a variant of Oxford Bags, which we called "Patch Pockets" and which looked like astronaut pants - almost like what we call cargo pants nowadays, but baggier. They were a rather boring brown color, so I could wear them to school. I must have looked like a right twerp, but I was the happiest kid on the planet :cool:

Back
Top Bottom