Poll: Do you brew or buy your morning coffee?

How do you get your morning coffee?

• I (or SO) always brew or prepare my / our morning coffee at home.

Votes: 167 74.6%
  • Usually brew at home, once in a while buy already brewed.

Votes: 26 11.6%
  • I / we usually buy morning our morning coffee already brewed.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • No coffee in for morning for me / us

Votes: 25 11.2%

• Total voters
Wow, I see very high correlation between FIRE crowd and brewing at home! I wonder why?

PS: I brew espresso from beans. I would like to roast my own beans if I can find a device that can do a small batch. But then how to your source the raw beans? Seriously though, coffee test WAY better when I open a new pack of roasted beans.

Last edited:
Wow, I see very high correlation between FIRE crowd and brewing at home! I wonder why?

PS: I brew espresso from beans. I would like to roast my own beans if I can find a device that can do a small batch. But then how to your source the raw beans? Seriously though, coffee test WAY better when I open a new pack of roasted beans.

I remember when I looked into it, you can usually get raw coffee beans from local coffee roasters, if there are any near you. And you can roast them in an air popcorn popper or cast iron skillet. It seemed more trouble than it was worth at the time...but maybe once I've FIREd I'll take the time!

Interesting to read about how people prefer to make ther coffe.

I like to do it the way Melitta Bentz invented about 100 years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melitta_Bentz

As a housewife, Bentz found that percolators were prone to over-brewing the coffee, espresso-type machines at the time tended to leave grounds in the drink, and linen bag filters were tiresome to clean. She experimented with many means, but ended up using blotting paper from her son Willi's school exercise book and a brass pot perforated using a nail. When the grounds-free, less bitter coffee met with general enthusiasm, she decided to set up a business.

And from that invention it sounds like she managed to FIRE when she was 57.

If it were up to me, I would ban Dunkin Donuts as a hazard to navigation. I have never seen such poor drivers as those who are pulling in or out of that place.

I think Trader Joe’s is likely a very close second

I buy my coffee virtually every morning, and that includes my buttered bagel or the occasional egg sandwich. Yes, it clearly costs more than if I made it at home, but I don't see it as a waste of money. I enjoy going out each morning to one of the 4 regular spots I give my business to. Heck, that's part of the reason I enjoy my ER.

I split the difference. I bike to a bagel shop and bring my own coffee thermos. I like my coffee better and it’s much harder to make a fresh bagel in the morning :) they have a nice common patio area with a fountain outside

I remember when I looked into it, you can usually get raw coffee beans from local coffee roasters, if there are any near you. And you can roast them in an air popcorn popper or cast iron skillet. It seemed more trouble than it was worth at the time...but maybe once I've FIREd I'll take the time!

This little Japanese style ceramic gadget is purported to work really well for roasting .I’ve been pondering getting one

https://zenroast.co/

Last edited:
I used to drink a couple of cups of black coffee first thing every morning that I brewed myself from ground coffee in my Technivorm. I started having some acid reflux issues so made a few dietary adjustments rather than take medicine. I have been drinking camomile tea in the a.m. instead and once or twice a week might have a mid-afternoon cup of instant Nescafe coffee that is one quarter skim milk. I think it is really good! When I am traveling I will stop at a McDonald's and order a small coffee and a carton of skim milk. I dilute the coffee with the skim milk and still get a jolt of caffeine into my system.

Brewed mostly at home. In true LBYM fashion, since I like flavored coffees (not picky about what flavor), I go to Marshall's or Big Lots and buy whatever looks interesting in their food section. I just got one full-pound bag and one 12-oz, bag for $9 total.

I have over $100 on my Starbucks app. Between e-Rewards and the blood bank, I get plenty of brownie points I can redeem for Starbucks credits. My 4-year old granddaughter has a bad Starbucks cake pop habit and I suspect that when I try them on her little sister (18 months old- IMO it's too much sugar to feed her in one sitting when she's this little) the balance will decrease a lot faster.

We brew our own from beans 5-6 days/week, so I voted the first option even though we buy elsewhere about once a week.

I don’t consider Keurig’s or many pre-ground coffees equivalent to brewing coffee, but then it’s not my poll or thread...

Last edited:
I always thought when we retired ten years ago that DH and I would pick up our newspaper from the driveway and head out into the early morning sunshine for a brisk walk each morning, culminating at one of the four places within a quarter-mile of our house that make darned good coffee, where we would spend a few minutes people-watching, catching up on the newspaper's headlines, and discussing our plans for the rest of the day.

We've never done it.:LOL:

Tall in a grande cup of dark roast at Starbucks each morning + 1 free refill. 32 oz total for $2.05. Cheaper than keurig, nespresso, or other pods

Last edited:
90% of the time it's just instant coffee at home, 5% brewed at home, 5% bought on the road when travelling.

Too cheap to buy coffee out.
I brew a pot and nuke it all week til empty, weekends drink the whole pot.

Free coffee at work, even 2 Starbucks types one us bitter i can handle the breakfast blend.

We are not coffee drinkers, never acquired a taste for it. I don't like anything with a coffee flavoring in it.

Nespresso and Illy capsule machines.

We usually brew our first coffee of the day at home. A couple of days or more per week we walk out for breakfast and have our first coffee then. Lots of options within a mile of our house.
This is something I could get used to, if there were cafes within walking distance of our home.

We brew a cup or a pot the same we we have done for 40 plus years. The pot is only four cups so it does not sit around. We have two coffee makers that we received as gifts. We do not bother with them. Not worth the effort.

We grind the beans. Place them in a Melita filter. Pour a little hot water of the coffee. When it is soaked, we pour in the rest of the coffee.

Usually Starbucks beans from Costco, sometimes some other local brands for a change. Our preference is for a darker European blend of coffee.

Once in a while we might make an expresso or cap at home. We have a small pressure type pot that goes on the stove top. It also has a steam arm to heat the milk.

I like coffee. I like to drink it every morning. It then becomes a habit and I lose that nice caffeine lift.
The solution was to taper off by switching over to one cup of green or black tea 6 days of the week and have one cup of strong, home brewed coffee on Sunday, my early morning ride day. I really enjoy that one cup.
And no, I have never been inside a Starbucks or any other coffee house.

I had to wean off caffeine due to a long period in which I had no coffee or tea due to an elimination diet. I wasn’t willing become re-addicted to caffeine, so I did not resume my morning coffee habit. I stick with mostly decaf coffee and tea now and usually have tea or something else in the morning at home.

And no, I have never been inside a Starbucks or any other coffee house.

How about a trip to Italy for your first Sbux experience? The new one in Milano looks rather fancy. Alas, at 5 euros for a cappuccino, I think I will stick to the local bars in Italy. But, I might poke my head in just to see the place firsthand.

Last edited:
I had to wean off caffeine due to a long period in which I had no coffee or tea due to an elimination diet. I wasn’t willing become re-addicted to caffeine, so I did not resume my morning coffee habit. I stick with mostly decaf coffee and tea now and usually have tea or something else in the morning at home.

I cannot remember when I did not drink coffee. I do remember getting the flu or food poisoning, not sure which it was. I did not eat or drink for 3-4 days and I think I had caffeine withdrawal. A headache I will never forget and probably some other symptoms. My friend, a nurse, told me to drink full sugar Coke. I guess to recaffeinate myself to make the headache go away. Anyone quit caffeine and have withdrawal symptoms? That was a frightening experience

At home unless traveling. I use mostly Cafe Bustelo through my Grindmaster OPOD pod brewer. Also keep some Trader Joe's beans on hand to grind on weekends. Doing iced coffee currently and brew it directly into 16oz mason jars. I have one coffee on the way into worked and have recently stopped drinking it (free) at work. I kept filling my cup all day and decided it was time to lower my caffeine. Wifey uses her Keurig on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom