Have you actually calculated how much you spend for coffee annually?

Theophrastus Bombastus

Dryer sheet wannabe
Including all the accoutrements such as sugar, sweeteners, milk, other creamers, flavorings, spices, etc used to make it the way you like to drink it. I'm not including the expense of driving 5 miles for a cup of joe, but you may if you want to.

Include coffee (not energy drinks or caffeinated carbonated beverages) bought outside the home, but please separate this from in home coffee use and expenses if possible. I was surprised to find that my biggest 'in home' coffee expense was actually the creamer/dairy component.

You might include how many '6 ounce equivalent' cups a day you drink for clarification, too. I know some who drink the equivalent of coffee syrup, one of their cups would probably equal four of mine.

First example, if you have a K-cup to start the day before leaving home, then you have a free cup from work for your mid-morning pick-me-up and another from the cafe down the street you might say:
In home, one cup cafe-au-lait at a buck a day and double that on weekends about $460/yr.
Outside, one freebie at work = ZERO.
Outside, one barrista special (double coffee) at $5 per workday about $1250/yr.
Total around $1710/year for roughly 4 cups a day.

Second example, if there is a convenience store nearby that sells quart sized 'cups' for a buck. You get one a day which lasts all day long, your cost would be about $365 a year for roughly 5 cups a day.

Just curious. I was just reminiscing about a trip taken many years ago with the hotel room service charge for a 4 cup carafe of coffee was around $20 back then. Wow!

And what is the purpose of this exercise? Budgeting? Inflation (or deflation in the case of your hotel coffee example)? Curiosity to how much you spend?

Similar to the trend about “things that used to be free” how much do we spend today on water when we used to get it for free from the tap. I now buy 3 gallon bottles for my cooler for drinking at home (and making my K-cup and drip coffees), cases of bottles for on the go and who knows how much in individual bottles bought outside the home for $1 each and more when we know the case of bottles cost $3 on sale at the supermarket.

I guess we could get into analyzing our costs for many specific items we buy/ use/ enjoy but for what reason? Will we change our habits? Find ways to economize ? Hopefully none of these costs/ habits/ vices will impact our FI.

Yes,

11oz of beans lasts us exactly 15 days. I buy 34oz Lavazza Super Crema beans at ~$14 on sale and 33oz of 8 O'Clock Beans at ~$13, usually 3 bags at a time to get free shipping. I mix them 50:50 before grinding.

365/15 = 24.33 x 11 = ~268oz = ~$113. We have not done the math for inflation as I recently paid $14 for 2 bags of Lavazza from Amazon on sale for $27.98 and 3 bags of 8 O'Clock from Walmart for $38.94

We do not buy Starbux or any other over inflated prepared coffee as it is way too strong and bitter for us.

Last edited:
Timely question- I just got a new Keurig Duo free as part of a marketing test via e-Rewards. It's connected to the Internet and will snoop on my coffee-drinking habits for a year.

When I looked at the cost of the K-cups, it added up pretty quickly- even at Costco prices it was 50 cents per cup and I usually have 3. No cream, sugar or other flavorings. I bought a carton of off-brand cups in "fall flavors" at 30 cents a cup and they were just plain nasty. They all tasted the same, with hints of the plastic in which they'd been brewed. I'm happier now- bought a metal reusable cup for individual brews, which I fill with the ground coffee I get at Big Lots for $8 or so a bag, or brew it in the carafe. I'd say those $8 bags last about a month so $4/month isn't bad.

Starbucks stops are rare and I get boring black coffee. I also have a Starbucks account I keep topping up with freebies from the blood bank and e-Reward points so I don't pay real money for them. I can see where a Starbucks habit could eat up a lot of money for some people, especially if they buy food there as well, but not in my case (unless I'm taking my grandchildren there for cake pops and that doesn't count:D).

Last edited:
No.
Some things are simply not worth counting, unless you thrive for the counting of them.
I don't have an underwear cost estimate either.

A pot and a half per day, here. Based on DW math, we spend a rounded $300 per year. Mostly HT brand, on sale (BOGO), on Senior day. Heavy creamer users. ID Amaretto and Hazelnut. Is that another $200- 300 per year?

No barista prepared coffee.

Had some really good K-cup stuff. Considering that. Not considering counting underwear.

No.

I drink a lot of coffee.

I start off the morning by making a large pot. (Sometimes two are necessary). I fill my Bubba mug to sip while I'm getting ready in the morning, and make two thermos for work.

If I am in the mood, I'll refill my thermo at work. I try to switch over to de-caf around 3:00 p.m. unless I'm working on a project which will require me to work very late.

I only buy coffee out rarely. I think I went to Starbucks once, but did not see the point of it. I paid a lot of money for coffee, I got to pour for myself, and tip someone to take my money. No thanks. I bought from McDonalds once or twice a week when they had the dollar price.

I've been toying with the idea of buying organic coffee. That seems to be very expensive for the amount that I drink. (I've been switching over to organic food, bit by bit.)

DH doctors his coffee. I drink my coffee black.

To avoid panic, when we are running low, DH orders four 30oz cans of McCafe Columbian Medium-Dark Roast (which is my current favorite).

Last edited:
Have you actually calculated how much you spend for coffee annually?

No, I haven't... but I can guesstimate. I drink exactly one cup of coffee per day, which I brew at home from ground beans purchased from the local grocery store. Including the half-and-half and sweetener I use, I'd say I'm spending about $10 every 11-12 days, which works out to about $330/year. Interesting that my coffee habit is costing me just under $1/day.

I figure I’m up around $800 or so for a years worth of coffee. That includes coffee and creamer for visitors (mostly my daughters), Nespresso coffee twice a day for me with some sugar. It doesn’t include the cost of cleaning my coffee mug.

I do not calcluate my coffee cost and won't be doing so.

I do avoid the K-cups and even Nespresso since, IMO, they are premium prices for a very mediocre cup of coffee. That must save me a bundle.

My only splurge was my Jura coffee maker which I fill with beans I buy from Costco or the occasional sale of Lavazza when I can find one. My local Costco had some Lavazza espresso beans a few months back at a good price. Now, they are long gone.:(

But, I find this discussion interesting, so perhaps I will have another cup later today and browse the responses.

:popcorn:

What? No Smilies for having a cup of coffee while observing what goes on at this site? OUTRAGEOUS! ;)

I'm retired and only drink coffee that I prepare myself here at home. I limit myself to one insulated "car mug" full each day. This is 20 oz , therefore approximately three 6-oz cups each day.

I buy both coffee and creamer from Amazon, so I have records of the exact amounts spent. Spending totals for 2020:

$114.23 Coffee (Taster's Choice Instant, not cheap!)
$44.38 Creamer (Coffee-Mate Sugar Free Creamer)
_______
$158.61 TOTAL for the year 2020

This is about 43 cents/day.

I measure both coffee and creamer more or less "by guess and by golly", using a tablespoon for the powdered creamer and partly filling an old coffee scoop for the instant coffee.

I really need to drop this coffee habit! It's not even good for me and look at all that money flying out the window. But gosh..... I don't wanna. Maybe later. :LOL:

The new Panera Bread around the corner offers unlimited hot/iced coffee & hot tea for $8.99/month, first 90 days free.

Hot coffee dispensers are hazelnut, light roast, dark roast, decaf...one iced coffee dispenser, 4 varieties of hot tea, IIRC.

The new Panera Bread around the corner offers unlimited hot/iced coffee & hot tea for $8.99/month, first 90 days free.

Hot coffee dispensers are hazelnut, light roast, dark roast, decaf...one iced coffee dispenser, 4 varieties of hot tea, IIRC.

If they have this next year when I should be fully retired; this looks very promising. Do my morning exercises, stop and Panera for a cuppa, go to the public library or to the park/ beach . . .

If they have this next year when I should be fully retired; this looks very promising. Do my morning exercises, stop and Panera for a cuppa, go to the public library or to the park/ beach . . .

Panera did not plan on you in their marketing research. Me neither, I am on a keto diet and none of their profit products apply for me :)

Panera did not plan on you in their marketing research. Me neither, I am on a keto diet and none of their profit products apply for me :)

I'm keto here as well!:LOL: (I actually read ingredients.) Not going near that bread, soup, etc. (even their chicken salad has added starch, sugar, dextrose)!

Last edited:
Before I went low-carb, Panera's Cinnamon Crunch bagel was one of my major weaknesses. But I have to say their coffee is quite decent.

I don't track, but it is budgeted in our "groceries and Dining out" category.
We drink coffee, a lot. Part of our fun is trying new coffee cafes around town--this is our splurge instead of having meals/drinks out at fancy restaurants.
I drink 1-2 cups, 1/2 decaf, DH drinks 2-4 cups a day at home, and we use flavored creamer.
I have a keurig, a regular percolator, and a french press.
Buy coffee at Costco, or at the specialty stores, or get it "free" with Starbucks rewards.
Besides mom and pop type coffee houses that we go too; we spend about $100 a month at SB. We frequently stop there when we go to DD as our grandson loves the egg bites and pumpkin bread! So Grandma brings it to him. :)
When we go to the coffee houses, we frequently have breakfast, so the cost is not just coffee only.

"I do avoid the K-cups and even Nespresso since, IMO, they are premium prices for a very mediocre cup of coffee"

K-cups is below mediocre (although I haven't had one in years)....Nespresso is one small notch better.

Costco has a nice Cuisinart drip on sale starting 10/27 for $45. Anyway, my yearly coffee expenditure is over $400......probably closer to $600. Much more than alcohol.

I buy about 60 lbs of green beans a year at around $6/lb. My last roaster was $300 and lasted 10 years. French press, kettle, and water are pretty small costs.

All together I'll round up and say I spend about $400 year on coffee a year (which also covers my partner, but I drink 3/4 of it).

I generally buy Folgers ground coffee at Sam's/Costco , whereever I have a membership.
The big container lasts ~25 days.

So my yearly coffee purchase is $146

We only put milk in it that we buy regardless and sometimes it goes bad before using up the gallon, so really the milk for coffee is free.

I rarely buy coffee when out, unless on a road trip, which hasn't happened for a year.

I know what I spend on coffee annually. Zero. Don’t like coffee.

I don't like beer and wine.so I spend nothing on that.

Perhaps the next thread should be what do you spend on BEVERAGES in a year? That could get interesting. My broke friend only drinks water, but only bottled water, so even that isn't free.

I've cut way back on my coffee consumption. I use about 10-12 ounces per week. I buy about 40 pounds of green coffee per year. When roasting, you lose some moisture weight to get to roasting weight. That puts me at about $200/year. My roasting set up--heat gun and thrift store bread machine--involved minimal costs. We drink it black and never have coffee "out."

Back
Top Bottom