Poll: Do you brew or buy your morning coffee?

How do you get your morning coffee?

• I (or SO) always brew or prepare my / our morning coffee at home.

Votes: 167 74.6%
  • Usually brew at home, once in a while buy already brewed.

Votes: 26 11.6%
  • I / we usually buy morning our morning coffee already brewed.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • No coffee in for morning for me / us

Votes: 25 11.2%

• Total voters
How about a trip to Italy for your first Sbux experience? The new one in Milano looks rather fancy. Alas, at 5 euros for a cappuccino, I think I will stick to the local bars in Italy. But, I might poke my head in just to see the place firsthand.

If you sit at one of those cafes with tables on a big piazza, you'll pay even more.

If you go stand at the banco of the same place, it will be a fraction of the price.

Or just go around the corner and find a cafe which will have tables outside.

How about a trip to Italy for your first Sbux experience? The new one in Milano looks rather fancy. Alas, at 5 euros for a cappuccino, I think I will stick to the local bars in Italy. But, I might poke my head in just to see the place firsthand.

Heh heh, not likely.
BTW, I have no fundamental position against coffee shops, it's just that I can only drink the stuff first thing in the morning or it disrupts my sleep and there are um, other side effects that I are best done in private. :)
And to the question of headaches, tapering off is the key. Also comes in handy when there is a disruption to the routine, like certain medical procedures - e,g. fasting blood tests, colonoscopy etc...

I almost always brew at home via French press. If I swim prior to work, that usually results in a trip to Starbucks for an Americano.

I was surprised by how many folks say Starbucks is bitter (just like the last coffee thread). I usually brew Starbucks Pike Place at home, but today I went out and had Starbucks from the store....and it was bitter. Now the poll I'd like to see is black or # of creams, sugars, or sweeteners. I like to change up from time to time to other medium/bold roasts, but the Pike is my goto. Wife likes mild roast k-cups. The other thing I don't like about Starbucks stores is they always seem disappointed and disapproving that I'm "only" ordering coffee and not a fancy drink.

At home. Beans too expensive & wasteful, grinding too much effort & cleanup, so pre-ground & drip for me. Tastes just fine. Same for 45 years.

I was surprised by how many folks say Starbucks is bitter (just like the last coffee thread). I usually brew Starbucks Pike Place at home, but today I went out and had Starbucks from the store....and it was bitter. Now the poll I'd like to see is black or # of creams, sugars, or sweeteners. I like to change up from time to time to other medium/bold roasts, but the Pike is my goto. Wife likes mild roast k-cups. The other thing I don't like about Starbucks stores is they always seem disappointed and disapproving that I'm "only" ordering coffee and not a fancy drink.
My last Starbucks coffee was about 15 years ago in the lobby of the USX building in Pittsburgh, where I was on business. I stepped up when it was my turn and said "I'll have a small black coffee". He rattled off a string of words that I didn't understand. I repeated myself "Small, black, coffee." He asked "twenty?" I said "no, just one". With a sniff of disdain for my Philistine ways, he managed to pour me a cup of coffee. It was not particularly good, but I've had way worse (engine room coffee on a submarine is pretty much rock bottom).

My last Starbucks coffee was about 15 years ago in the lobby of the USX building in Pittsburgh, where I was on business. I stepped up when it was my turn and said "I'll have a small black coffee". He rattled off a string of words that I didn't understand. I repeated myself "Small, black, coffee." He asked "twenty?" I said "no, just one". With a sniff of disdain for my Philistine ways, he managed to pour me a cup of coffee. It was not particularly good, but I've had way worse (engine room coffee on a submarine is pretty much rock bottom).

An aside...a friend from long ago (who’d been a surface line ship engine room mechanic) would only drink black coffee that was luke warm or cold because, that’s the way it always was in the engine room & how he’d learned to like it. :facepalm:

Going to Starbucks / Peet / Philz is pretty much like going to a sports bar for a lot of us singles .... it's the comradery more than the beverage

An aside...a friend from long ago (who’d been a surface line ship engine room mechanic) would only drink black coffee that was luke warm or cold because, that’s the way it always was in the engine room & how he’d learned to like it. :facepalm:

That is my preference too, and I have never been on a sub.
Ales, porter, stout? I like them as cold as possible without freezing.

Hating Starbucks has become a right of passage for coffee snobs. I'll take Sbux over most any other place I can get coffee (McDs, 7-11, etc.) except for local micro-roasters. It's not that bad for a simple Americano.

My experience is that Sbux brewed coffee is just not that great, and I don't care for their Americanos either. Micky D's does a better job on coffee, IMHO. :eek:

But, there is an exception. My local Sbux has the Clover system. A big hunk of machine that is sort of like an upside down French Press from what I can see. They also use special coffees.

We pair the Clover® with our rare, small-lot Starbucks Reserve Coffees to bring them to life in the most extraordinary way.
WOW! It does make a great cup of coffee.

Last edited:
Much prefer brewing my own. I go between the Kroger Breakfast Blend (it's very popular around here and is sold out often) and Chock Full o' Nuts. The enjoyment of drinking it AT HOME without the hassles of humanity is fantastic. And, I absolutely LOVE the aroma while it brews.

I am curious about the Lavazza coffee (I never heard of it until I saw it in Seinfeld's show "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee"..obviously product placement) but not interested in paying too much for it.

Anyone else find it interesting the number of people who have come into this thread to say, "I DON'T DRINK COFFEE!" Well, fine then. Go find another thread to post in. ;)

I cannot remember when I did not drink coffee. I do remember getting the flu or food poisoning, not sure which it was. I did not eat or drink for 3-4 days and I think I had caffeine withdrawal. A headache I will never forget and probably some other symptoms. My friend, a nurse, told me to drink full sugar Coke. I guess to recaffeinate myself to make the headache go away. Anyone quit caffeine and have withdrawal symptoms? That was a frightening experience

I did - as I expected. A bit fuzzy headed and a couple of headaches over several days so took some Advil. All cleared up in less than a week. That’s one reason I’m not willing to get back on the habit. Just very occasionally use caffeine.

DH can’t use caffeine at all. After a few days of exposure he gets erratic heart beat episodes. Quite scary.

Hating Starbucks has become a right of passage for coffee snobs. I'll take Sbux over most any other place I can get coffee (McDs, 7-11, etc.) except for local micro-roasters. It's not that bad for a simple Americano.

Right - Americano is the way to go.

I used to love their Sumatra roast, but now only Nespresso at home.

Overseas we had several places with only €1 or €2 for an espresso. That seemed refreshing, even though it was a tiny cup.

One thing I'm not getting is that restaurants try to get you to order coffee after your meal.

Preferably with desert but without too.

Who wants to have coffee so late at night?

In Europe, if you order Americano, don't they just dilute their regular coffee with more water?

One thing I'm not getting is that restaurants try to get you to order coffee after your meal.

Preferably with desert but without too.

Who wants to have coffee so late at night?

In Europe, if you order Americano, don't they just dilute their regular coffee with more water?

I know quite a few people that drink coffee at night (decaf perhaps?) or after a meal/with dessert.

A poll question for coffee drinkers. Do you make your first cup of morning coffee at home, or do you go out to buy it? There’s a new Dunkin Donuts near our house that I pass on my morning walk, and it does a brisk business. There are always cars in the drive - through.

I prefer to prepare my coffee at home and only buy brewed when we're traveling.
DW and I prefer our home brew espresso. Usually two cups a day each. While traveling, we try to frequent the more local cafe's Vs commercial variety. WE especially like the coffee houses that make pretty designs in the foam.

Attachments

• 7070C832-2013-4374-A617-F7D551E4995A.jpg
    7070C832-2013-4374-A617-F7D551E4995A.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 17
I like my Starbucks Grande Americano when I go to the store, and Costco Breakfast Blend k-cups at home, also made by Starbucks. Every time I drink a cup I consider it free, because I’ve held Starbucks stock for a long time, and the appreciation and dividends have more than covered the cost to us. My DS and DDIL are also both employed by Starbucks in Seattle, so I’m a little biased.

I like my Starbucks Grande Americano when I go to the store, and Costco Breakfast Blend k-cups at home, also made by Starbucks. Every time I drink a cup I consider it free, because I’ve held Starbucks stock for a long time, and the appreciation and dividends have more than covered the cost to us. My DS and DDIL are also both employed by Starbucks in Seattle, so I’m a little biased.

Yep, same with my Ferarri stock; figure I’m driving it for free. But, the damned 488 GTB still won’t make a decent cup of joe. :facepalm:

Attachments

• 248E690F-ED20-4A86-BA86-E55A4B9E142D.jpeg
    248E690F-ED20-4A86-BA86-E55A4B9E142D.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 13
Yep, same with my Ferarri stock; figure I’m driving it for free. But, the damned 488 GTB still won’t make a decent cup of joe. :facepalm:

It won’t? You should take it back and complain! [emoji12]

I know quite a few people that drink coffee at night (decaf perhaps?) or after a meal/with dessert.

My midwestern in-laws keep a pot on all day and night, and drink it right up until bedtime! I can't have a cup even right around lunchtime or I may have trouble falling asleep, but then I've intentionally cut back and held down my consumption to no more than 12oz a few days a week (more on weekends).

God bless my DH, he grinds the beans and brews Pete's or Costco every morning! If he didn't drink it, I wouldn't either. I love my tea from the Charleston Tea Plantation!

Back
Top Bottom